Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaRookie Apr 11, 2015

I went to an AD and tried on both a black and a BLNR (Black and blue) GMT's. I have been pining away about getting a BLNR. When I tried them on it was kind of......meh..... It wasn't what I expected my own reaction to be. Truth is, I was looking at the big numbers on the bezel thinking how much nicer the bezel on my SM 300 MCA is to look at. I think I'm going to have move on to the SM300 MCA two tone or something.
    I actually feel bad it didn't excite me. I didn't look at the Sub no date. Maybe I should have. Maybe next time I will. It just seemed cluttered. They're great watches but I'm not going to spend that much money for ........meh.....

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 11, 2015

There was another thread some time ago on those bezels on the modern rolex, they're a little much for me too. Definitely the bezel ( specially the ceramic liquid metal ones), as well as the crystals are far far superior on Omega watches, I would even argue the dial detail is far superior as well because it's not like Rolex has really produced any original work lately on the sub front.

Omega at least has the PO design, the SMPc design , the Smp mc design ( with the bold and really beautiful idea to bring back the sandwich style receded markers which is IMO a brilliant move wether one likes the patina or not.).. And that's before going into the GMT and sub chronos.

Rolex remains iconic, and I love the explorer and the new Datejust and oyster lines, but they're being left behind on the sub front for sure

RawArcher and OmegaRookie like this.
  3. OmegaRookie Apr 11, 2015

That's a good assessment Sergio. I even looked at a Yachtmaster. It just seems like a lot money for what they are. I'm going to keep an eye for a TT SM300. They're about the same money as a BLNR

4. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Apr 11, 2015

I've owned the BLNR for about a month and a half. It didn't really blow me away at first either, but I just kept coming back to it for some reason. Decided to pull the trigger and don't have any regrets. I think if you wore it for a while, you might come around. But I don't believe Rolex has a try it before you buy program yet!

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 11, 2015

i have my eye on my late brothers GMT's from the 80's and nineties. I think I rather get one of those. His children have them and they're all under 18 so in a few years I'll negotiate a trade or something with them. Besides of course being a family thing, I guess my point it wether is better to get an older version with the slightly smaller bezels than a newer one given the choice.

I can see though, like so many things, how once in the wrist these buggers start growing roots. It's like the e2 polar, I absolutelly love mine and I always though it was the ugliest Rolex available, but then I put it on and it just gets me. So subjective this whole watch thing.

Charlie3755, OmegaRookie and AAAKK like this.
  6. OmegaRookie Apr 11, 2015

See! If you wore a SM 300 for a while it would grow roots too!!;)

Nobel Prize and AAAKK like this.
  7. OmegaRookie Apr 11, 2015

There's another dealer close by that will give me a better deal if I look at a Sub. The no date Sub is less cluttered. I might consider that. It's so similar to the SM 300 that it seems silly to get one though. It would be nice if Rolex had a 30 try out ...

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. OmegaRookie Apr 11, 2015

Maybe I'll just stick to buying single malts!:D

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 11, 2015

It would, for sure...Eveyone thinks I hate that watch, I don't. You will not find a single post of me saying I hate the watch. I went to the store to buy it twice already and has the benefit that it is pretty much the only diver around that my wife likes. I only had 2 little things to say about it that stand out a little. They don't ruin the watch or make it a bad or an ugly watch and I think by far I have said in the last months more good things than bad about it, but they are just two things that make me chose to get something else on my list first. The first time I went to get it I got the AT instead, the second time I ended up with a Rolex Explorer 1. That does not mean that the SMP300MC is not a beautiful watch, or a great watch, it just means that right when I try it on both times I ended up passing because something else caught my attention a little more. TBH the patina I get, because it is beautiful, I rather there was a version without it but that is not a because it is not beautiful as is (and I have said that before as well) the balance of the markers yes, i admit, somehow don't quite work (for me) maybe in another life I was killed by someone wearing an SMP300, maybe I am just a little short sighted (I am) but it is what it is. The watch is almost perfect, the bezel the sandwich markers, the dimensions...I just don't like that one thing about it.

There are plenty of people that dislike the 39mm explorer 1 because of the ratio of the minute hands to the dial as well as the size of the crown...it is on everyones book a design flaw over the 36mm one. I still got he 39mm because those particular issues don't bother me as much. The Panerai Radiomir I have has also a faked age numeral patina...I still got it because I love the overall design of the watch, even at 46mm which is a little off the wall by itself, but I like it...maybe one day I'll get this watch and I'm sure I'll love it as well, but at this moment as much as I want to when i put it on it's not what I"M looking for.

Not sure why that is haunting me around the forum like I freaking committed murder though.

Edited Apr 11, 2015
    Event horizon and OmegaRookie like this.
  10. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Apr 11, 2015

Yes, definitely no disagreement with that. Much easier to drop $100 on something that you're not sure about than 10k. And of course, a couple of stiff drinks will take away the pain of wasting a 100 bucks. You can't go wrong!

OmegaRookie likes this.
  11. OmegaRookie Apr 11, 2015

Im just kidding you. I completely understood your critic and had no trouble with it. I know you like the watch. I think you should buy the two tone and try it for a while. When you don't like it 3 months from now, I'll fly to NY, buy it from you for a great price and we'll go see the Yankees and the Blue Jays play and swill beer ! :D

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. nima0071 Apr 13, 2015

I love mine. IMG_1474.jpeg

blufinz52 likes this.
  13. OmegaRookie Apr 13, 2015

Don't get me wrong. I still think it's a nice watch. I just didn't get the wow factor I thought I would and I thought that if I'm going to spend $8k I want to love it at first site. I would never knock any of the Subs, GMT's or Sea Dwellers. I'm going to look at a no date Sub soon. I like the simple clean look.

Frunkinator likes this.
  14. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 13, 2015

I'm a dive watch fan lover, but I agree with you about really loving something before dropping so much cash. I must admit, the bezel on that watch Nima is simply stunning!!

OmegaRookie likes this.
  15. jinson Apr 13, 2015

I'm a big Rolex fan and have both the Sub and Sub with date, and the GMT. I also just purchased the SM 300c Ti/Blue. I personally think it's much better looking and better finished (less gaudy) than the current Sub and GMT models. Again, my personal taste. For me, the current Rolexes are just a bit too flashy with the gloss dials, white gold surrounds and bigger font bezels. This is why I started collecting the older Subs, Subs with date, and GMTs. I'll be interested to see what you think of the Sub no date as to me it looks like a flashier version of the SM 300c. I think Omega did a great job with the SM 300C.

Nobel Prize and OmegaRookie like this.
  16. harrymai86 Apr 14, 2015

another taste, the new GMT Pepsi is amazing, how I wish it has steel version with no date and jubilee, it would be ideal :D

17. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 14, 2015

As a young man there was no better in my eyes than a Pepsi GMT but now I would have either the Explorer 1 or a nice Air King with the blue dial. Time changes tastes but if you buy a watch and have it a few years and fall out of love with it the biggest mistake is selling it. After a few years you realise why you originally liked it and then you need another one. I have a small list of dislikes with my new SM300 but if I sold it I would rapidly realise the over riding reasons I bought it in the first place.

OmegaRookie and Nobel Prize like this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 14, 2015

I just got the explorer 1, the simplicity and elegance is absolutely incredible on this watch. I love it. I have the e2 polar, a 5512 sub (birth year) that it just a dream and a daytona. the E1 is the one that just flies completely under the radar, and then you look at it and it's all there. Quality, design, elegance and simplicity.

The 5512 also is unnoticed except for other watch aficionados that do spot it, otherwise to most people it's just an old sub so it also becomes very bespoke.

I don't have a rOlex GMT yet, (aside from the E2) but when I get it I'll try to get my brothers or an 80's 90's version on the earlier side and back from there.

OmegaRookie likes this.