Forums Latest Members

Rolex GMT 2 BLNR first impressions, comparison with Exp 2 and Exp 1

1. Riviera Paradise Nov 26, 2016

Well I have not had time to take good pics of the new BLNR, but I thought I would share some initial first impressions and also focus on quick a comparison with the 42mm Polar Explorer 2 and Explorer (1) Mk2.
    20161126_143010.jpg

20161126_143558_001.jpg
    I certainly see it playing out its "intended" role as a great business travel watch...you can wear this watch with business attire by day and more casual wear/jeans for an informal social evening out with your team or travelling on a long haul international flight. It is much more sporty than I previously imagined. This is a watch I would personally not use for a more formal occasion...so my Reverso and Orbis Hour Vision are safe:)

It really is incredible how the light plays with the ceramic bezel...the blue part can move from light blue to almost black and the glossy black can transition to grey. I think the PLCs are spot on.

I wonder if the Rolex designers were aware that there was already such a strong market identification with the black, blue and white colour combination due to the BMW logo. This watch looks like a BMW...it has the combination of bling-performance and sporty-classy. It is a fun watch.

20161125_090143.jpg
    Comparison with 42mm Polar Explorer 2 :
    Polar has much, much better legibility for the GMT hand. Wears larger than the BLNR, but not much larger as I expected from previous forum pics. I prefer the smaller crown on the Exp 2. Certainly the Polar is a watch I can wear without drawing attention, which is not the case of the BLNR.

Comparison with 39m Explorer (1) Mk2 - Basel 2016:
    Explorer 1 classier, more discreet than the BLNR.

In terms of comfort as I have a flat wrist they all wear pretty much the same.

The general emotion/feel the three watches pass to me...
    BLNR: performance/sexy
    Polar 42: masculine/rugged-no BS
    Explorer 1: soulful/intelectual

I am happy because the BLNR has indeed found a perfect spot in my collection, without creating any real overlap with the Orbis Hour Vision, Exp 1 or Polar Exp 2. Cheers

Edited Nov 26, 2016
    rominvicta, htn2003, Longbow and 2 others like this.
  2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 26, 2016

Good thoughtful review... :thumbsup:

(You might want to clean the lens of your camera, or did you go for the dreamy effect on purpose?)

Longbow and Riviera Paradise like this.
  3. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 26, 2016

Incredible watch. Bezel color-way is timeless. Sharp case with the iconic oyster bracelet. Doesn't get much better than this! Very tough versatile piece that goes where you go.

Thank you for sharing!

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 26, 2016

I really want the Batman bezel. My Black bezel GMT II however was a special occasion purchase so we are not going there. Congrats!

5. Riviera Paradise Nov 26, 2016

Thx. Lens coating shattered on my S6 Edge:confused:.....hence the Twin Peaks dream effect:)

6. blubarb Nov 30, 2016

I like that effect even if it is unintentional.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 30, 2016

Nice trio.

8. Riviera Paradise Nov 30, 2016

Thanks Sergio...still want to add in the future a nice 16710 Coke...perhaps I will get lucky in some upcoming trip to the US:)

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 30, 2016

Fair warning, once you get a coke or a pepsi you may not wear the BLNR again....

10. Riviera Paradise Nov 30, 2016

Thanks for the warning. I could be completely wrong, but I do see space for both a BLNR and a 16710 in a collection...the 16710 Coke would be an E-type Jag and BLNR a modern BMW:) Combined with the Polar Explorer 2 (some sort of heavy duty off-road SUV)...I think the three would make a nice GMT themed trio:)

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 30, 2016

You could be right, you could be wrong....

For sure there is space for both.

I find the 16710 coke or Pepsi, to be the most perfect gmt on the series when all things are accounted for.

Aesthetically the 1675 /50 may beat it, but on overall balance of aesthetics, movement, durability....16710 is where I'm at.

I personally think it was a mistake to use the same case for the BLNR or modern GMT as for the subs. It's a lazy compromise that only benefits the rolex production line.

The GMT was always slimmer and more elegant... A little less tool. It was meant to fit well under a pilots uniform.

Historically It was not meant to be a."Version" of the sub with gmt function, but a specialized pilots tool with its own identity. The BLNR is beautiful but to me it is a departure from the GMT line.

Longbow and Riviera Paradise like this.
  12. Riviera Paradise Dec 1, 2016

@Nobel Prize I agree with you on the 16710 being the sweet spot in many aspects, as well as the pilot watch pedigree etc....but...as I have no intention of owning a Sub (I much prefer my SM300MC/Nato), the BLNR with the blue/black works for me wonderfully as a modern Rolex sports / business / travel watch. I think the blue helps dilute the impact of wider bezel / sturdier case dimensions and it has the advantage of being a unique GMT combo for the ceramic bezel era.

If Rolex do launch a Coke SS GMT with ceramic bezel for Basel 2017, I would still prefer the 16710 Coke as a future GMT option for my collection. I would go even further to say that IF I had the option of Stainless Steel Ceramic GMT 2s in Pespi, Coke and BLNR, I would still choose the BLNR over the equivalent Coke and Pepsi ceramic bezels. The new fatter bezel red ceramic is just too overpowering for me.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  13. jinson Dec 1, 2016

Thanks for your thoughts on the BLNR. I also own and prefer the older GMTs, and have thought about the BLNR. I've not been attracted to the black bezeled 116710 GMT-Master II Ceramic; however, I find the BLNR very attractive. Interesting how bezel insert change affects the overall appearance of the watch. Thus the constant back and forth or debate over preferences with Coke, Pepsi or Black bezel inserts .... which is also why I enjoy the versatility of the GMTS.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 1, 2016

That is a brilliant point of view as it does fulfill both roles and does complement your collection

15. Riviera Paradise Dec 3, 2016

Just to round off the thread, managed to take two quick family shots with the BLNR today. I apologize for the "dream" effect from the shattered lens on the cellphone...could not be bothered to get the "serious" camera charged up for use:) - a bit rushed today with another international trip this evening...BLNR will earn its first "wings" today:)
    20161203_093555.jpg 20161203_093940_001.jpg

Edited Jan 12, 2017
    Blacksmith, Nobel Prize and Longbow like this.
  16. sxxu08 Dec 3, 2016

You have 3 watches in your collection that are on my wish list should I ever come into some funds! - Always really liked the Hour Vision, in my opinion the Tresor is the best dress watch around, and I think your new GMT is fantastic! Let me know if you get board of them and want to donate to a good home!

17. Riviera Paradise Dec 3, 2016

Thanks @sxxu08. Glad you managed to recognize your future "treasures" through the haze and fog:)

18. OmegaRookie Dec 21, 2016

IMG_2618.JPG I've had mine for a year and a month. I wear it daily. If I had to have one watch, this would be it.

Moppel and Riviera Paradise like this.