Forums Latest Members

Rolex GMT 1675 vs. 16750 matte dial

1. watchthisway Apr 30, 2017

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. Just picked up my first vintage Speedy Pro from another member here. However, it appears my first post will be about a Rolex. :)

I am curious as to everyone's opinion as to the Rolex GMT 1675 matte dial vs. the 16750 matte dial. Particularly from those who own or have owned one. I am thinking of adding one to my collection. Ideally pepsi bezel on a jubilee bracelet. I am leaning towards the 16750 due to the ease of the quick set function. It will not be a watch that I wear every day and I don't love the idea of having to set the date the slow way with the 1675. The 16750 also seems to be ever so slightly priced better, though seemingly very hard to fine.

That said, I feel like the 1675, especially the earlier dials, really give you that vintage look. And without aging myself, it has the potential option of giving me that elusive birth year watch.

Also, wasn't sure if the 1675 was a bit smaller in case size as well? 38mm vs 40mm for the 16750? If so, then I think I would also prefer the 40mm.

What are your pros and cons in favor of each?

thelinendial likes this.
  2. sky21 Apr 30, 2017

The 1675 matte and the 16750 matte look basically identical. While not knowing what your birth year is, I will tell you that there is a big price increase as you look towards the earlier 1675 references. Assuming you're only going back as far as around 1968 you may find a very nice correct Mk 1 for around $13k while a correct 16750 matte should be around $8k. The case size is the same for both and the quickest date feature would probably be very nice if you're not going to use it as a daily wearer. The higher beat rate movement in the 16750 is nice as well, and if you're not as worried about collectibility then you'll be saving quite a bit of money. Really you can't go wrong with either one.

3. brunik Apr 30, 2017

I would go for a nice 1675 instead of the 16750... it looks the same but I am a fan of the 1675...

trackpad likes this.
  4. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Apr 30, 2017

Welcome to the Forum!
    /
    You do not want this bug to bite you!
    The very long 1675 production was followed by a short production of the rarer 16750 matte, followed with the white gold surround. In fact in looking at the latest version of the 1675 matte dial next to the 16750 together, see pic below (1675 on the left), hard to tell the difference. Establish a budget and get your first... You can do a lot with the insert changes.
    Good luck!
    both.jpg

5. Sculler22 Apr 30, 2017

This is a topic that seems to spring eternal, both here, and on TRF. There are many compelling reasons to own either one, though some have both in their collections. Ultimately, once you have decided upon a budget and found an example that you would like, your evaluation of the specific watch will determine your choice. I think it is fairly safe to say that it would be hard to go wrong with a good example of either one. If you go over to TRF, look for comments from "Springer", he is an acknowledged expert on all things GMT.

6. ATWG Apr 30, 2017

Both are fine references, all depends on your budget. I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything else, you can get into the weeds rather quickly. Figure out how much you want to spend and go from there. Yes, TRF has wealth of information, but don't expect anything sub $9K from the aforementioned "expert".

Happy hunting.

watch3s, watchthisway and OMGRLX like this.
  7. Sculler22 Apr 30, 2017

Just to be crystal clear, I recommended that the OP look for comments from a very often quoted, thanked, and well-respected GMT expert. There was no mention, nor implication beyond that. And, to further clarify, I have never communicated with, nor had any transaction with that person. On this forum we respect the sources of information, the same holds true on TRF, and Springer's comments are held in very high esteem.

8. MaiLollo Apr 30, 2017

I'm looking for one as well, and I feel like it's not easy to find an unmolested one for around 8k... I've seen a lot of incorrect dial/hands/polishing for less money, but correct ones going for more

watch3s likes this.
  9. Sculler22 Apr 30, 2017

I agree about the difficulty of finding one in that price range that is totally correct. Markets move with trends, and many have found that these transitional GMTs are very appealing. Just as on OF, you really have to buy the seller on TRF, or any other forum. The trusted sellers offer watches that meet their professional standards, and the peace of mind that one gets along with a proper watch is worth it to many, including me. When I buy my first Speedy, it will be from someone on this forum who has built a reputation that is worth maintaining. Sorry if I sound a bit preachy, but when someone asks for advice, I try to offer what I would hope to receive. Too many people, new to the forum, post with a bargain that they have discovered and have a rude, and often expensive, awakening when they realize that they might have done a bit better. Thus endeth the lesson, and time for a beer!

watch3s likes this.
  10. Drawarms Apr 30, 2017

matte dial 16750. Small run of watches plus quickset.

11. mr.kaplan Apr 30, 2017

It goes without saying: 1675.
    FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4546.JPG

Stas, Tubber, smitty190373 and 14 others like this.
  12. brunik Apr 30, 2017

My pair... a different colour of the insert makes a huge difference

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

13. Overgrower Apr 30, 2017

I like the 1675 gilt dials and the 1675 radial dial. Otherwise I prefer the 16750 matte over the matte 1675. The main visual difference between the two is the hand stack positions of the GMT, Hour, Minute, and Seconds hands.

In the end condition is key. 16750 hands had a tendency to corrode, so there are a lot of hands that are service luminova or color matched tritium.

Don't rush in buying and make sure you're happy with the condition or else it will always bother you.

thelinendial and Speedy Gonzales like this.
  14. jfmiii Apr 30, 2017

Matte 16750.
    Quick set, true transitional with a small production run (and many matte dials were replaced with WG surround dials during service), high beat movement.
    A really nice matte 16750 is harder to find bc there are less around due to it only being produced for a few years.

here is mine prior to replacing the scratched crystal with a NOS and finding a 78360 stamped the same year as the watch.

$_57 (2).JPG

thelinendial, Stas, Tubber and 16 others like this.
  15. JohnSteed Apr 30, 2017

+ 1 that .... the quickest date feature would probably be very nice if you're not going to use it as a daily wearer.

thelinendial likes this.
  16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 30, 2017

Both great watches, 1675 carries a premium but as you wear it its not that different... at all. So if you are finicky about "what" it is the. Get the 1675 because you will always know the 16750 is not it. But if you just like "how" it looks then either works. Quick set date, higher beat rate and a slightly more robust movement does give the wear edge to the 16750.

As for me, i have exactly what you want. A birth year 1675 on a jubilee. My brothers birth year, 1969

IMG_0347.JPG IMG_1461.JPG
    Edited May 1, 2017
  17. sky21 Apr 30, 2017

That watch it that condition will definitely carry a premium price!! Very nice indeed.

18. sensui Apr 30, 2017

I own a couple of each as I'm a big fan of the references. I do think the 16750 is on its way up and unless you're stuck on some of the older dials like gilt or chapter ring etc..I'd go for the 16750 for the quick set convenience. Regarding springer, not only is he one of the if not most knowledgeable person around regarding gmts....he's also a stickler for originality and brutally honest. I've dealt with him multiple times and yes he prices higher examples but it's usually sublime and very original (dial, hands, bracelet, insert etc). Vintage is a minefield and for the knowledge and assurances he offers, the pricing is very fair. Always buy great original examples, don't go half@$$ ending up with something you question and might replace down the line.

19. mbeast May 1, 2017

Having owned both, I would recommended to be on the lookout for an example of either one and buy based on condition - look for a nice dial, handset, insert and thick case.

The 16750 was under-appreciated for a time, but the price for a matte 16750 is now around the same as a matte 1675.

Edited May 1, 2017
    thelinendial, micampe and MaiLollo like this.
  20. jfmiii May 1, 2017

+1 for springer. he is a great resource and a fantastic guy. i purchased a NOS crystal and my VE stamped 78360 from him. i had him vet several watches for me. speaking with him is a must for any WIS looking to buy a vintage GMT.

watch3s, pitpro, sensui and 1 other person like this.