Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rolex GMT 1675 Mark I Matte Dial with Box & Papers

1. t_swiss_t Apr 21, 2017

For sale is a Rolex GMT 1675 with Mark I matte dial with Box & Papers.

IMG_9574.JPG

Why I bought and why am I selling?
    I bought this last year from a well-respected collector. It's in excellent condition and has some special aspects to it so when I was looking for a Mark I matte GMT, this was the best one out there. I am selling this because, while I wear it often, I am getting another piece of similar heritage and need to make room. I would have liked to keep both but I am keeping my collection small.

Provenance
    I do not know the origin of the watch but it was bought from a collector and friend that I trust. The papers are punched but the purchaser information is not filled out and hence that does not help localize the country/place of origin. The 2.9 million serial dates the watch to 1969 or 1970 depending on which serial chart you use, it seems to fall right at the edge of either year.

Condition
    General Notes: The watch is overall in excellent but used condition, as expected for a watch of this age. All parts are period correct from what I can tell. The watch is running well and was checked by a watchmaker last year who did not recommend servicing at that time. It winds very smoothly, sets easily, and is accurate for regular daily wear so from a user standpoint I concur with his assessment. I can't guarantee COSC spec as I don't have a watch timer.
    Dial: The dial is in perfect shape without any blemishes, with all intact lume with a cream to light yellow hue and without any discoloration. Anything smudging or light scratches in the pictures are from the crystal. It is a 'Mark I' matte dial in the usual parlance. Date wheel is silver has open 6's and 9's.
    Hands: The hands are original with intact lume and in excellent condition. The GMT hand is one of the desirable "all red hands" and the watch's serial number falls in the accepted range where these hands have been seen, at least as had been collectively agreed upon by the VRF collectors and others knowledgable in this area who I confirmed with. The hand has even red paint without any concerns for aftermarket tomfoolery. The shade of the GMT lume can appear a shade darker in some settings (I have noted this on several other all-red GMT hands and can provide photos of those other examples); I have included a macro shot of the hand.
    Bezel: Originally black fat font bezel that has patinated to a nice, even dark blue. No major scratches/dings as you can see. Just for completeness sake, this is not a 'blueberry.' I feel like many of the pictures undersell the blueness so I included one with the bezel in direct sunlight that shows it well (the one with the watch on a tweed strap).
    Case/Crown/Case Back/Crystal: Case is in excellent condition with thick, original chamfers visible on all the lugs and scuffs commensurate with age. As I have not owned it it's whole life I cannot say it is unpolished but it is in great shape. Please see the pictures. The crown screws in and out easily and locks. The model and serial numbers (1675, 2.9 million serial) can be easily seen without a loupe and the serial matches the certificate. The case back is free of any major scratches. The crystal is a desirable tropic 38 domed crystal; the watch also comes with the original cyclops that was on it previously. I love the T38's, they really add to the overall appearance.
    Bracelet: Rolex C&I rivet bracelet with moderate amount of stretch and wear without any major dings. 12 links included (10 on bracelet now, 2 others included). Bracelet is dated 74. I have used the bracelet - the clasp works well and closes sharply. I will include a leather strap/buckle with it as well.

Accessories:
    The watch comes with the punched Rolex certificate and Rolex booklet, Rolex green plastic wallet, and inner wooden/leather box. As stated above I am including a leather strap and SS buckle (unsigned) as well as the original cyclops.

Lots of pictures......
    IMG_9568.JPG IMG_9587.JPG
    IMG_9562.JPG IMG_9579.JPG IMG_9580.JPG IMG_9582.JPG IMG_9552.JPG FullSizeRender 57.jpg FullSizeRender 52.jpg FullSizeRender 51.jpg Macro Red Hand.jpg FullSizeRender 54.jpg FullSizeRender 55.jpg IMG_3260.JPG
    IMG_9590.JPG

Price is $14000 by bank wire (including insured USA delivery, others by agreement).

Terms and Payments:
    Payment is by bank wire to my bank in the United States, again charges for you. I will consider other means of payment on a case-by-case basis as well as subtracting the delivery charge for in-person pick up. Secure delivery within USA is included, insured via Parcel Pro. Watch is currently in Chicago, IL, USA.

An exchange of ID Documents will ensure both of us are happy with who we are. No returns for buyers remorse, only if the watch is not as described and then only within 7 days of purchase from date of delivery.

Thanks for looking and please let me know if I've made any mistakes or if you have questions.

Also, thanks to @ChicagoFrog for the aesthetically pleasing pictures (mine are the crappy ones).

Andrew

2. Just Livin Apr 21, 2017

Stunning!

Don Bocadillo and OMGRLX like this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 21, 2017

Well damn...

Don Bocadillo and OMGRLX like this.
  4. sky21 Apr 22, 2017

Another superb sales post Andrew! Can't wait to see pics of your new acquisition on the wrist, I'm sure it'll be a home run.

t_swiss_t and OMGRLX like this.
  5. Majork Apr 22, 2017

Hell damn!

t_swiss_t and OMGRLX like this.
  6. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 22, 2017

Yowza! :eek:::love:::coffee:
    Those times when a specimen leaves you speechless. ..

t_swiss_t likes this.
  7. t_swiss_t Apr 22, 2017

bazamu, oaclondon, sky21 and 2 others like this.
  8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 22, 2017

Well hell...damn

Congrats!

9. tmw57 Apr 22, 2017

A truly lovely Mk. 1...

Congrats to buyer and seller.