Forums Latest Members
  1. erpin9 May 23, 2015

I have been offered a Rolex Explorer 1016 and the condition is good. Serial is 1.3m and year model is 1966. Movement is very clean and watch keeps accurate time. The only fault is the dial has been refinished. The nice part is the selling price is only $3k. Should I buy it and wait for a good used dial to be available in the market to replace the refinished dial?

2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! May 23, 2015

Why?
    The dial is the watch...if you want a 1016, wait for a nice example. They are not hard to find.

Thats one huge "only"

T<25 and travisrock like this.
  3. E-diddy May 24, 2015

agree with @CajunTiger . There are plenty of nice 1016s out there for sale. If you are trying to get a vintage Rolex for 3k, then maybe a Datejust would be more suitable.

4. erpin9 May 24, 2015

Thanks for the advise. Will just look for a better example of the 1016.

5. michaelmc May 24, 2015

At $3000. U.S. that is a good deal if it's in decent condition, case & movement. Non chapter dials do pop up from time to time and usually at a 3-5K range so you would have a good start ahead of retail. Just my 2 cents. & I do like projects so biased. m

Nobel Prize likes this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 24, 2015

you just have to have the means, the will and the know how as to how to deal with such a piece. but it doesn't look quite right on the poor pictures offered, which is a common denominator on the watches brought forward by the OP: Bad pictures of possibly ok, possibly bad examples. Hence the general advice. But the bezel s definitely not right, and who knows about the rest which is not seen. notice also the dial lume versus the hands. It just seems desperate to seek examples of great watches that are not quite right, rather than just buying the right examples (which for every model bought forward exist) sometimes we save money only to either have the wrong thing, or have to spend more to get it right.

Edited May 24, 2015
    persco and CajunTiger like this.