Forums Latest Members

Rolex Daytona Meteorite dial?

1. Slowpoker Oct 14, 2018

Hi there everyone,

I stumbled upon the Meteorite dial version of the Rolex Daytona and I thought it looked quite stunning personally.

Almost to the point where I wanted to buy one now that I've got a load of funds. However I wanted to ask everyone's opinions on what they thought of it as well as future value appreciation and how it wears.

I'm currently going to buy (just waiting for it to release) a Blue side of the Moon Aventurine dial timepiece from Omega as a daily beater, so this Rolex will mainly be for more relaxation or events.

5556-Day7.jpg
    Credit for photo goes to WatchUSeek.

rominvicta, ag986 and Baz9614 like this.
  2. Sherbie Oct 14, 2018

Personally, i havent seen any meteorite dial, from any manufacturer, that i have liked yet

Its probably just me - i like order and symmetry

blufinz52 likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 14, 2018

The JLC master moon in RG with the meteor dial to me is the epitome of this style. The Daytona dial just disappears in the shine of the case. Should have been darker.

Dan S and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 14, 2018

5. Slowpoker Oct 15, 2018

Ah I see, seems like it isn't the most popular watch.

Has anyone actually got one and can share their experience with it?

6. hotwheels Oct 15, 2018

I think they look good on the wrist, and good value compared to its stainless steel sibling!! As long as you can source second hand though.

Adamtrigg10 likes this.
  7. Slowpoker Oct 15, 2018

Indeed I had access to a mint edition of the watch with 2 years warranty at the £16k mark. It has had Rolex service it last month at £3k with replacements to bezel, pushers and crown and the crystal.

I'm honestly looking for a reliable and nice watch. I'm planning on getting the Rolex as well as an Omega for it's various features.

Does this watch have lume by some chance?

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 15, 2018

No lume, and be warned readability on these is very poor. Replacement dials if you get any water ingress is staggering even by Rolex standards.

9. hotwheels Oct 15, 2018

This is more of a "dress watch"

10. Slowpoker Oct 15, 2018

So overall, If I'm after lume, readability and durability I am better off getting an 18k gold and ceramic Daytona?

Or just an Omega, I'm surprised that despite everything the Omega's price doesn't appreciate.

Rolex-Daytona-Gold-Ceramic-Rubber-Oysterflex-2017-116518LN-3.jpg
  11. chunkythebulldog Oct 15, 2018

I owned one but sold it about 2 years ago to fund a Nautilus, one of the only watches I've regretted selling.
    Wears small like all Daytonas and like already mentioned legibility isn't the best.
    Will try and find some pictures when I get to work tomorrow.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 15, 2018

The Daytona is the Daytona... personally for that money I’d get a nice el premiero movement one.

But all Daytona except the very first speedy clones have readability issues. It’s a bling watch although they are very attractive. To me white dial panda black bezel is the only way to go.

For the money your claiming your getting close to a good used Platona which is a stunning and unique piece.

What exactly is your goal in your upcoming watch purchase? Good daily collection? Impress non watch people? Impress watch people? Investment? What situations are you planning on wearing the pieces?

You seem to be a bit all over.

13. Slowpoker Oct 15, 2018

Can I be honest and just say that you're right, I'm all over.

I'm looking mainly for a watch with lume, durability, reliability and value retention.

Now the Omega which I've reserved ticks all but the value box. The Rolex is unique and I think personally that it would fit well with me, I'm just looking at it at the wrong angle.

I need the watch to create an impression as I'm a 'client partner', hence the need for a watch in the first place. It'll be used often, but will share the week with the Omega. Otherwise I'll wear it at events and etc.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 15, 2018

What’s your target demographic?

Meteorite dials is not what I’d be going for. Lots of money for little extra recognition.

Hulk is good here... yachtmaster is a surprisingly good choice against all demographics. Daytona are small and the meteorite does not read as a Rolex at first as it’s missing the distinctive sub dial design.

You want recognition that shows taste but not bling?

15. hanky6 Oct 15, 2018

This:
    75F63321-621A-48A8-8F9E-E5CA54911A60.jpeg
    Not the greatest picture but a classic Speedmaster with meteorite dial, perfect.
    But only manual wind though.

Slowpoker likes this.
  16. Slowpoker Oct 15, 2018

Indeed, a little bling is alright but I'm not looking to turn heads, that's for my suit and personality to do.

Target demographic are high end clients like Burberry or Glaxo Smith Kline. Really depends on who wants to purchase but they are usually very high end companies. I've really been thrown into the deep end here but I enjoy it.

17. Slowpoker Oct 15, 2018

Stunning watch, I truly was considering it however I cannot get past the manual wind. Is it simple to do and could the strap be changed to leather?

I absolutely dislike most bracelets and barely tolerate others, but never on my own watch.

18. hanky6 Oct 15, 2018

The lug width is 20mm so lots and lots of straps and bracelets to try, should be pretty easy to find something that matches the watch and your preferences.

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 15, 2018

Go to big on the watch and it starts to bite you in the arse. People will read it weird.

IWC pilots are perfect. In fact Putin wears one... not sure if that helps.

20. chunkythebulldog Oct 16, 2018

Here we go. First shot on a Croc strap and the following 2 on Buffalo

IMG_0224.PNG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2940.JPG