Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rolex Day-Date Spanish Ref. 1803 Serial 5XXXXX Circa 1960

1. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 17, 2016

Wishing the OF community a very happy holiday season! Safe travels to all wherever you find yourself in the coming months!

Not the cleanest offering, but even fallen solider deserve a chance!

Today I am offering a Rolex Day-Date Spanish Ref. 1803 barring a 5XXXXX serial and held on the wrist by a pre-owned, very good condition English Swede Tan Strap with a base metal Speidel buckle.

Before reading the rest of this offering, please know that I will happily provide any additional macro or regular photos that are requested of the piece. Feel free to reach out via PM or Reply.

Acquisition History : This watch was purchased from an auction house in a single consignor auction hosted in Canada. The owner had several refinished dials in his collection, some very bad and some fully original pieces. I believe the dial was relume, cleaned, and rebuilt. Or maybe there is some restoration, or non at all. This dial has been difficult for me to fully grasp because of my lack of knowledge with Rolex Day-Dates, hoping to learn more through this sale.

Brand : Rolex

Reference : 1803

Serial : 5XXXXX dates to 1960

Condition : Very good (6.5 / 10.0) Condition is based on general ware and tare along with scratches, state of lugs, case back, dial, bezel, crown, strap, pins, movement, and service history. This watch should be paired with the proper 18k yellow gold Rolex buckle, it also should have pins replaced. I've worn this watch for the past 2.5 months, very comfortable on the wrist. Fluted bezel gives it a little bit of attention, but the strap keeps it a humble dress watch in my opinion. Hand made strap makes it a comfortable piece to use daily.

Dial : This is a refinished Rolex Day-Date dial. I have included macro photographs of the dial for any potential buyers to study and come to their own conclusions. The lume plots are newer than the case, but the dial seems to be of real quality. Please include your assessment of the dial in the thread below, I will edit the sales post if any new conclusions have been made. 18k yellow gold grooved rectangular markers. There were several dial configurations available for this model.

Crystal : The crystal has been photographs from several angles to show you it's raised design. I enjoy the ascetic this early piece gives off, and this crystal compliments the dial by giving it more room and contrast. I do not know if the crystal is original or replaced. I do not have that information, and am pricing the piece accordingly! Please include any additional information on the crystal.

Bezel : Fluted bezel exactly as originally produced by Rolex for the 1803 model has no hits or scratches.

Movement : This Cal. 1555 was serviced by a local watch maker in Canada, has been running perfectly since I've acquired it, Day & Date wheel's moving flawlessly after servicing was required by my watchmaker (still under warranty for 6 months. Having said that, winding well, setting well, no issues ever since, keeping great time. Rotor is audible, but has been serviced, I have had another 1555 that was noisy after being looked at twice. Buyer should consider a possible check up on Rotor or servicing in a few years.

Hands : Transitional Alpha hands, please refer to photos.

Lugs : Have been heavily polished. This is a big negative for the piece, but it's priced accordingly.

Asking : $3,750 USD

Shipping : Buyer responsible for shipping payment. Buyer chooses shipping!

Return Policy : Several photos are posted and I will photograph any part of this piece if requested. Don't buy unless you feel like you have all information needed to make a educated decision! Here to learn, and give a solid deal to an OF member. I won't accept a return, but please utilize all I am offering as far as buyer support goes. I'm here to make a easy, trustworthy transaction! I'll work with any buyer, let's just make it happen.

Best,

Thomas

image1-2.JPG image1.JPG image1-3 copy.JPG image1-4.JPG image1-5.JPG image1-6.JPG image1-8.JPG image2.JPG image1-9.JPG image1-10.JPG image2-2.JPG image1-11.JPG image2-3.JPG Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 11.32.55 AM.png image3.JPG image2-3.JPG image1-3.JPG image2-2.JPG image1-2.JPG image2.JPG
    Edited Dec 18, 2016
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 17, 2016

I believe that this watch dates to approximately 1960, not 1947.

3. tomvox1 Dec 17, 2016

Hi there,
    Couple of things:
    That serial number dates to circa 1960 not 1947. 1959-60 is the first year of ref. 1803 production.
    Also the dial is almost certainly completely refinished not just the lume puts. Quality and finish are decent but do not appear up to Rolex standards and both the "T" and "O" markings surrounding the SWISS are incorrect for this era.
    Obviously one can tell by description that you're an honest guy but just thought these issues should be brought to your attention.
    GLWTS,
    T.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2016

Moving this to the dealer section as well, can you list under Watches For Sale rather than Private Watches For Sale.

5. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 17, 2016

I apologize for the incorrect information. I will update the description and see if this will be of any interest to someone looking for a project. Thank you @tomvox1 for the help with showing me the additional issues with this piece. I thought the same with the dial, my gut feeling was a bad one after learning more about refinishes and what to look for, but it was something I bought relatively cheap and wanted to learn more about. That's my lame excuse! Where can I find the most accurate resource for Rolex serial dates? I researched it and could have sworn it placed the piece so early. Embarrassed it was so far off! Had no idea the 1803 was produced then, need to dive into the model.

Thank you for moving the watch, again I apologize for offering something of lesser quality. Figured it would be a good way to test the waters. Will maintain this thread to ensure buyer has most accurate information.

Best,

Thomas

6. tomvox1 Dec 17, 2016

Common mistake using old charts that don't take into account the 1954 "reset!" ;)
    Most comprehensive database is here>>>
    Vintage Rolex Case Number Project
    Good quick & dirty reference here:
    OysterWorld.de
    Best,
    T.

bigdubnick and MPWATCH like this.
  7. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 18, 2016

Price reduced to $3,750 due to refinished dial and polished lugs.

I appreciate the space OF! Thank you

Thomas

8. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 19, 2016

Watch has been sold elsewhere, non the less thank you to OF for arming me with the additional issues carried by this piece.

Happy Holidays!

Thomas

BartH likes this.