Forums Latest Members

Rolex Day Date - Didn't See This Coming

1. everestx Oct 26, 2013

I bought this 1803 a couple weeks ago for scrap value and had visions of my next watch purchase once I got it ready to resell.

Rolex 1803 Bark Original.jpg

So off to my watchmaker for a new dial, bezel, service, and crystal. The watch looks pretty good, really good. I'm going to make a bundle and my next watch purchase is right around the corner.

CL Rolex 1803.jpg

I wondered what it would look like on leather..

Rolex 1803.JPG

or maybe..

Rolex 1803 10.25.13.jpg

I might have to keep this one so off to my watchmaker for a sapphire crystal sans cyclops. I sure didn't see this one coming..

2. KRLYUZH Oct 26, 2013

The reference should be 1807 if that bark bezel and bracelet are original and factory. If you still have the original bezel in first picture, I would like to buy it. Please do not change out the original dial. Contact me if you want to talk some numbers/details.

3. alstonnelson Dec 14, 2013

Its looking very nice with new dial .

4. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2013

Hi
    I agree with Krlyuzh

If it is a 1807 keep it all original. sell it if you do not like it. Also I think your asking for trouble trying to fit a sapphire crystal sans cyclops to a plastic ref DD.

i have a 1803 in white gold that someone swapped in an Omega sans cyclops crystal that was suppose to be a proper replacement. I had it tested and it failed a 30 m water test ! Keep in mind the crystal is a major part of the waterproofing system to a case ( not a simple thing swapping out a crystal for a non OEM one !)

good Hunting

Bill

5. everestx Dec 28, 2013

I was surprised how nice swapping the dial/bezel made the watch look but I eventually sold and doubled my money on the watch. I have those funds earmarked towards "Great White" hunting this year.

I had my watchmaker install a sapphire crystal on my Dad's DJ that my Mom wears now. I recall him saying he had to use a larger crystal gasket when installing it so I know it can be done. I'm not sure where he sourced it from but it turned out nice.

I like the look of your 1803 without the cyclops, very nice!

Mom and I Wrist Shot Nov 2013.jpg
  6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2013

Hi

the issue was the non cyclops did not pass a waterproof test, so out it went!

best
    Bill

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2013

Which Omega crystal was it? I know my local watchmaker has done a few Omega dome crystal swaps onto 1803s and had them pass WPT above 30, I wonder if there's just some variation in how they fit.

8. marturx Dec 29, 2013

Very cool looking watch in the first picture. I definitely wouldn't have changed it.