Forums Latest Members

Rolex At Basel: Explorer II thoughts

1. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Apr 4, 2011

Hey all,

Just thought I'd contribute a few words on the new models released at Basel in my review-type format, exclusively on this forum. I haven't tried any on yet (unfortunately, I was unable to go in person), but I have a fair idea of what to expect from the information available. For me, the Explorer II was Rolex's star of the show, a really refreshing take on a design that had been beginning to look a little tired. A slight increase in size, the resurrection of some vintage design cues, as well as some modern interpretations, I think this is really going to capture people's imaginations

Tech Specs:

Ref. 216570
    Case Size: 42mm
    Movement: Cal. 3187
    • Independent hour hand
    • 24 hour hand
    • 28.8k beats per hour (4Hz)
    • In-House Parachrom hairspring and Paraflex shock absorbers
    • 48 hour (approx.) power reserve
    • Automatic
    • Chronometer Rated
    Water Resistance: 100m
    Unique features: Fixed engraved steel 24 hour bezel, ability to display two time zones simultaneously
    Bracelet: Solid link Oyster, all brushed finish, Oysterlock sports clasp with locking mechanism and Easy-Link
    Dial and Hands: Rolex 'maxi' sports layout, black or white dial, oversized minute hand, blue Chromalight luminous material on hands and dial indices, orange "freccione" 24 hour hand. Unique to the black dial: painted portion on hands to create a "ghost" effect.
    Crystal: Sapphire, anti-reflective paint applied to the underside of cyclops date magnification

First Impression

I have to admit, I've never been much of a fan of the previous incarnation of the Explorer II: it felt too much like a diluted GMT-Master II 16710, and lacked a truly distinctive personality. I think this revision has addressed this well: the orange hand was originally featured on the ref. 1655 'Steve McQueen' Explorer II, and is is clear Rolex have been looking to the past for inspiration. They've stopped short of reverting to the 1655's unusual dial markers and straight hands for a more conventional sports dial and hands set up. Still, it is good to see Rolex nodding to their past and acknowledging their heritage whilst creating a new, fresh, and distinctive design. In terms of the movement, it remains to be seen whether it is anything more than the integration of the in-house Paraflex shock absorbers, but I doubt it would be a radical departure from the extremely highly rated cal. 3186, found in the GMT Master II 116710 and later models of the 16570 Explorer II.

The other big change is to the bracelet and clasp. The old model, whilst time tested and reliable, had a bracelet that didn't feel right on such an expensive watch. Whilst that might have been acceptable 20 years ago when it was first launched, in 2010, it was seriously lagging behind its competition: I feel this was reflected in the watch's rather poor sales performance. The new bracelet, whilst I believe the end links will probably be slightly bigger to fit the larger lug width, is essentially identical to the one found on the 214270, which feels wonderful on the wrist. A much welcomed change, in my opinion. The addition of Chromalight luminous paint is also welcome, as it appears to have greater longevity throughout the night compared to the Super-Luminova compound Rolex has been using in the past.

Success or Failure?

Of course it is very early to be making such calls, but I think it will be a good seller: if Rolex keep the price right (around the same as a GMT IIc), I think it'll cater well to those who want something a little bit more unusual than the relatively conservative Submariner or GMT-Master. The size could be an important factor as well - larger than the regular sports models, but easier to wear than a Deepsea. Like the Explorer I, the Explorer II has been given its own niche within the range, and this will only do it favours. Expect availability issues well into 2012

Hope you enjoyed reading this,

Chris :thumbsup:

Trev likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2011

The big ticket here is the 42mm size, I really think that's a major selling point as the 40mm didn't quite seam right. The EXP2 is meant to be rugged, high visibility, and that sort of lends itself to a bit of a larger size, but I'm convinced the GMT and Sub were kept at 40mm in order to not destroy the DSSD sales, since it'd then be a similar diameter but without the unwieldy and clunky thickness.

The new orange hand helps differentiate it from the GMT further as well, which is not a bad direction, keeping the GMT as the more elegant travelers watch, while the EXP2 becomes the more active sports type watch.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2011

The all brushed high durability bracelet is also going to be a big plus.

One thing, what's the main difference between the new 3187 and 3186?

4. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Apr 4, 2011

It seems Rolex are trying to give each of their watches a little bit more differentiation from each other, which is clever - not in a big shouty way, but subtly, enough to make it feel unique, certainly! Not entirely sure about the difference between the 3186 and 3187, I suspect it is purely down to the shock absorbers

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2011

TBH before shock absorbers I was sort of hoping they'd have made their next movement revision have an updated winding bearing to prevent the wear issues, which would be more important on a watch like the Exp2.

Is there MSRP around for it yet?

6. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Apr 4, 2011

Looking at the tech specs again, it would appear that it's still using the jewel and bushing system - there's certainly no mention of ball bearings, whilst they are specifically referred to on the tech specs for the Daytona. A little unfortunate perhaps, but it will retail that silky smooth sensation on the wrist.

As for an RRP, I think £5200 has been mentioned, with a potential price rise in this country in the very near future to bring the rest of the range in line. I still think it'll be selling for slightly less than the GMT IIc (current RRP £4900) when the prices have all been settled

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 4, 2011

Chris, that's an excellent review. A pleasure to read.

8. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Apr 4, 2011

Thanks Trev! :thumbsup:

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 5, 2011

Compared to the GMT2C, I think I'd take the new polar tbh, its a fair bit less bland, and the lower potential price point would make it really worth it.

On the other hand... might be some cheap previous generation EXP2s come along, ;)

10. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Apr 5, 2011

I have to say, the black dial is doing it for me. I mean, I love the GMT IIc, but this new Explorer, it's something special!

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 5, 2011

No ceramic bezel to worry about either ;)

The EXP2 bezels look cool when they've got dents.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2011

There are rumors of an October delivery for these, its going to be interesting to see one sitting side by side with a Submariner to see how much the size difference really is over the supercase 40mm.

13. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Jun 13, 2011

Definitely - I think the more tapered lugs will help it wear a bit smaller, in a similar way to the Speedy Pro :thumbsup:

14. Tantler Jan 26, 2012

Great review. I just received the new explorer ii black dial as a Christmas gift from my wife. It's my first rolex and I LOVE IT!

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 26, 2012

Congrats Tantler, that's a great gift. Your wife has excellent taste.

I hope you'll share some photos with us. Feel free to make a new thread.

Welcome to ΩF :thumbsup:

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2012

Would be keen to see it, I've still never handled one of these thus far.

17. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Jan 27, 2012

Congratulations, it's quite the gift :thumbsup: I think the black dial remains my favourite of the two