Forums Latest Members
  1. erpin9 Sep 3, 2017

I am considering buying this 6239 Daytona. The present owner bought it from Michael Ashton in New York.

The watch is in London and the owner has agreed that we take the watch to a reputable Rolex vintage watch dealer to have it checked before payment is made. This is the link of the watch as advertised on Chrono 24.

http://www.chrono24.ph/rolex/paul-newman-cosmograph-daytona--id6744654.htm

My question is does anyone here know of a reputable person or dealer that j can bring the watch for authentication in London? Any assistance will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Traveler Sep 3, 2017

6239 has a steel bezel ... assuming it's kosha, that's a 6241...

3. crl848 Sep 3, 2017

Also that would be very cheap for a 6239 Newman.

4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 3, 2017

1. who is Michael Ashton and why do we care?
    2. This is not a 6239
    3. Why is it so cheap?
    4. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is?
    5. Why is the seller private?
    6. why would anyone list a $60,000+ watch without movement photos?

marco and Baz9614 like this.
  5. Traveler Sep 3, 2017

Madison Ave based dealer with about a bazillion dollars of inventory on his site ... IMG_9868.PNG

6. erpin9 Sep 3, 2017

Ashton is a reputable vintage watch dealer in NY. The price is actually £60k but its still cheaper than most offerings. I am just banking on his offer to have the watch checked in my presence first before payment is made. Thats the reason why i was asking for a referral.

Anyway, many thanks everyone for voicing out your genuine concerns. It does sound too good to be true so i think i will just pass.

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 3, 2017

regardless...id say its missing a digit :)
    good news is he is "Negotiable"
    Id start by investigating the dial...looks like a Bob Maroon special.

Did the 6239 or 6241 come with a Panda dial with white outer track and RED Daytona?

Edited Sep 3, 2017
    jfmiii and Larry S like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 3, 2017

I don't profess to know Daytona but my redial alarms are buzzing. Either that or the pics are crap.

propervinyl and Spacefruit like this.
  9. emilio Sep 3, 2017

Same here.

Zero Daytona knowledge but every picture looks off.

If it's the real deal he should recieve a medal for taking such terrible pictures ;-)

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 3, 2017

My Rolex Savant friend (Dealer collector for over 40 years) yells at me accross his desk:

"All Paul Newman Dials ARE FAKE!!!! Remember that!"

When Quized further....

"I see them made in Vietnam - now everywhere"

Its true, you want a PN dial? Simple, they are everywhere. ANYONE can find a PN. You just need money and a massive leap of faith.

Want a blue Solei Speedmaster?

You cannot easily.

Now I dont know if it is true, but there is no way in a million years I would buy a PN dial as the story only makes sense if a larger proportion than 50 % are fake.

11. neilfrancis Sep 3, 2017

I have no idea how much credence to attach to @orchi_palar on Instagram.

But he says 90% PN Rolex dials are fake.

His IG feed is very entertaining. And food for thought if you are ever tempted to throw big money at a Rolex.

Larry S, Dre, Kmart and 3 others like this.
  12. jfmiii Sep 3, 2017

lol at "Bob Maron special"

OP, post it on VRF. youll know in 5 minutes if it is fake. im not an expert but the dial doesnt look right to me. spend some time on the big replica watch forums where guys build these. you will be blown away at the level of detail on these fakes. i wouldnt even call them fakes per se. theyre more than that; theyre frankens. you see guys putting rolex bridges on V72 movements, after market cases that are 1:1 copies of a real case, real bezels, real hands, real crowns, real bracelets but fake dials. oh, theyll often buy a vintage datejust dial, and swap the coronets so that it has a real rolex coronet. unless we are talking non-PN dials, in which case these guys put service dials or even non-service original dials in the watches. im not kidding when i say that people spend $7-10k building these. they have made it into big auction houses and were fake. all this stuff comes out of vietnam, at least the best stuff, and only the most discerning experts can tell the difference. id love to post some pictures here but i think that would be a violation of forum rules.

but go to VRF and ask there. oh and while youre there, take a look at the old threads about the Mayer.....errrr....Texas dials. i have often thought that the unbelievable quality of fake parts coming out of Asia has to put pressure on the vintage Rolex market but nope, hasnt happened yet. to the poster who said 90% of PNs were fake, i have no doubt that that is true. if you are serious about buying one, buy it from Eric Ku/Jacek/Andrew Shear. there are very few dealers other than those guys who i would ever consider buying one of these from bc the vast vast vast majority arent legit. thankfully (or not!), it is not even in the realm of possibility for me to purchase one!

Edited Sep 3, 2017
    watchthisway, Mark020, pitpro and 3 others like this.
  13. erpin9 Sep 3, 2017

Thanks for the heads up. I have now posted my queries on the Rolex forum.

marco, Larry S and Spacefruit like this.
  14. emilio Sep 4, 2017

Does anyone have a link?

Curious what the outcome is, although I've got a gut feeling that I know what the outcome will be..

15. Traveler Sep 4, 2017

I can't find it either ( although my head usually explodes after 10 min of looking at that thing ... why can't all forums be like OF?!?!)

@erpin9 did you post on 'Vintage Rolex Forums'?

16. Eddy C. Sep 4, 2017

17. Traveler Sep 4, 2017

So not VRF then....

18. zerocool Sep 4, 2017

When it comes to PN Daytonas you really have to buy the seller more than anything else. The incentive to fake these are obvious and fake dials are getting better everyday.

As for the bezel, it could be a 6239 with a bakelite bezel, this is not difficult to do. Only way to figure out the ref is to look at the lugs/caseback.

19. jfmiii Sep 4, 2017

which he didnt show pictures of. another red flag, in and of itself.

pitpro likes this.
  20. jfmiii Sep 4, 2017

as much as I like TRF (and its format vs VRF), the most well heeled and knowledgable Rolex collectors are on VRF. If you want an unambiguous opinion on the watch, you need to post this on VRF.

pitpro and Traveler like this.