Forums Latest Members

Rolex 1665 DRSD - Advice needed

1. Felice79 Sep 12, 2017

Dear All,

i know, another Rolex thread on OF - but from all Forums i just like this community best. By far. So: Yes, i will double check on VRF, but please allow me to ask here, too:

After months of whining, begging, asking and thousands of whatsapps, i talked a friend into selling me his DRSD. Serial is 5.20......

The watch has a fantastic Appeal, incredibly nice Patina, and the case might be completely unpolished.

I did some Research, but when investing this amount of Money, i would feel much better with you guys checking on it.

I trust my Buddy, but he doesn't know EVERYTHING, so, who knows.

Oh: There are actually two small Chips on the dial: check Minute markers 15 and 25, on the very outside. But they are so small, i probably would have never noticed if he hadn't told me. I know, chips suck, but they are hard to spot.

The asking Price is killer, because he bought it quite cheap from a friend and passes it on to me with a few Grand on top, but it is still incredibly fair.

No Papers, but a correct box.

Let the show begin......THANKS!
    IMG_6014.JPG IMG_6015.JPG IMG_6016.JPG IMG_6017.JPG IMG_6018.JPG IMG_6019.JPG IMG_6020.JPG IMG_6021.JPG IMG_6022.JPG IMG_6023.JPG

balaja and marco like this.
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Sep 12, 2017

What is the price? One sold in similar condition with a chipped dial for $18,500 a few months back.

The dial chips crush the value and will make it hard to resell in the future if you decide to sell. I think it looks great though, and if the price is right, I would go for it.

This is still my grail!

Uniqez, marco, Tubber and 1 other person like this.
  3. Felice79 Sep 12, 2017

Thanks for your advice! 18.5k?? Where??? I just checked out various watches, in Europe as well as in the USA, and they were way more expensive!! If I were to sell it right now, i would ask 28-30k. So far, my contacts told me the chips were not THAT bad... seller is asking 26k, which, from my research, is a reasonable price. But I am here to learn!!! :)

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 12, 2017

Looks good to me as the watch goes. Price... I'e seen better and I've seen worse. Have not been in the market for this particular model so I can't tell for sure if it is right.

Felice79 likes this.
  5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Sep 12, 2017

$26k with a chipped dial...no way in hell.

These are hard to sell when perfect, damn near impossible with flaws.

Tubber, Nobel Prize and Foo2rama like this.
  6. sky21 Sep 12, 2017

So since this is at the very end of the accepted range for the DRSD and it has the rounded Rolex on the caseback, did you make sure that the full serial number is engraved inside the caseback? It pretty much has to be there for anyone to believe that this was a DRSD from the beginning and not a switched dial for value purposes. I wouldn't let the dial chips bother you that much, these are so ridiculously hot right now that it will sell at an obscene price to someone if it's legit.

Felice79 likes this.
  7. Felice79 Sep 13, 2017

Appreciate your feedback. As I said, I am here to learn...but...looking at the market, at least here in Germany, I dare to disagree...there is not a single dsdr on chrono 24 under 30k, many of those are polished and have way less sex appeal.

Great examples start at around 35k (euros!!!), if you want it perfect including papers&box they lie around 45-60k and even go up to 90k.

So, 26k is a lot of money. But, according to my research, might still be fair.

sky21 and Nobel Prize like this.
  8. Felice79 Sep 13, 2017

Thanks! Serial is engraved in the case back!

sky21 and Tiny Iota like this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 13, 2017

I'd say according to your research it's more than fair, it's truly a bargain. As i said before based on my (limited) knowledge of this model the watch looks good. As the serial is clearly marked, this is a friend you trust and no one here has raised any authenticity red flags..... It seems a pretty sensible purchase. The rolex vintage guys on the rolex forum would be a sound added step though, just in case and since your friend can wait a couple of extra days while you do your due diligence.

marco and Felice79 like this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Sep 13, 2017

Chrono24 is not a good place to assess the market and pricing imo.

I base my comments on having almost bought one, and having spoken with many seasoned collectors.

If you want it, go for it, since your research points contrary to mine.

If the dial weren't chipped, then the price would be fine, but it is chipped.

Lucasssssss and marco like this.
  11. Felice79 Sep 13, 2017

Thanks. Since I already have a potential buyer who "subscribed" in case I sell, I can be relaxed. He has many (if not dozens) of vintage Rolex and is willing to pay more than those 26...weird market, huh? Anyway, I'll check it out in person tomorrow and take it from there.

12. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Sep 13, 2017

If you like it, you have done your research and are comfortable with the price...then that sounds like a perfect deal to me!

Killer watch and good luck!

Felice79 likes this.
  13. sgrossma Sep 13, 2017

1-2 years ago they could be had in this condition for high teens to low 20s if you were patient. I still think you can probably get them in mid 20s in this condition if you search and search. Price sounds okay to me. I think you might be fairly safe, but its not an amazing price IMO. Prices keep going up and up for everything vintage so that's reassuring. The release of the new sea-dweller is also bringing more attention to these.

Felice79 likes this.
  14. Overgrower Sep 13, 2017

Dial condition is key for value. It's an okay price as the watch overall looks attractive. In my opinion it may be harder to sell if the market slows as dial condition is where a lot of the value of the watch is.

marco, Felice79 and watchknut like this.
  15. HogWldFLTR Sep 21, 2017

Wow, very cool watch!!! I know these can be great investments if bought at the right price but I'm afraid the ones at the right price were bought a long time ago. Too risky an investment for me.

Edited Sep 21, 2017
    Felice79 likes this.
  16. Felice79 Sep 27, 2017

Dear everyone, thank you very much. I ended up buying the watch (i know you already knew...) - and it is a truly amazing piece. I really like the patina, the overall looks and how it feels. It's one of the greatest looking DRSD i have seen...well, in my opinion at least! It is always a thing with images...but here come a few more.

Thanks again everyone!
    FB8A7062.jpg FB8A7063.jpg FB8A7064.jpg FB8A7066.jpg FB8A7069.jpg FB8A7070.jpg FB8A7072.jpg FB8A7074.jpg

Seaborg, blufinz52, marco and 4 others like this.
  17. marco Jun 9, 2018

At this very moment I am looking at one owner all original "75" that has been serviced and polished , the price is $30K. Yours looks a deal to me if you like it.
    Good luck.

Edited Feb 15, 2021
  18. Felice79 Jun 9, 2018

Thanks, bought it right away. ;)
    8A021812-EEFE-4791-A860-48199A60CF60.jpeg

19. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 9, 2018

03CFE1E2-5D24-450E-84DD-DECAE64FD2ED.jpeg 5F87E252-37F8-49BB-A275-A6B8607D6118.jpeg 997BFB3C-5BF6-43D6-B730-E47913ED6BAC.jpeg Oh how the mkt has changed in a year! If dial is chip free with nice patina, hands match, correct insert, and nice case, the $30k is a very good price. Dealers seem to be at a floor of around $40k on them.

I was happy to snag mine...

Felice79, Seaborg, blufinz52 and 2 others like this.
  20. Faz Jun 9, 2018

Very nice late Mk IV. In the past, the rounded 'Rolex' caseback was cause for concern but they have since been accepted as transitioning into the great white SDs. Of course, the serial number has to be present in the caseback and verified.

This watch has a killer case. Dare I say exceptional. And I have to agree that 18.5k for a DRSD these days would be an unusually good deal. Maybe 5 years ago? The dial issues are enough to bring its value down from an unmarked watch but the case and overall condition certainly makes this watch quite appealing.

The crown guards and lugs are full and beefy. Probably never seen a polishing wheel and in this post, this can be easily assessed by comparing it with the other fine MK IV presented on this thread.

All in all, a very solid watch. Well done.

marco likes this.