Forums Latest Members

Rolex 16570 second hand very close to crystal

1. beerbelly Jan 29, 2020

Recently I realised my 16570 has been stopping at 12’oclock after the power reserved had been drained up and its consistently been on that spot all the time and I’m wondering is it a concern for me. It’s keeping excellent time and power reserve is a 2 solid days. I notice the second hand placement might be higher then usual is that a concern or normal. Pardon for the lousy shots on my iphone.

85C6EAD9-1725-4824-80B5-B30F493350A0.jpeg CA315C4C-5886-4521-9EDE-2E869560C588.jpeg
  2. Sherbie Jan 30, 2020

Not sure what you are implying here

Certainly, the seconds hand is the closest hand to the underside of the crystal

are you implying that the second hand constantly stops in the same place, all the time, even when fully wound?

Or just that it seems to stop at 12o’c when wound done ( by chance)?

watch3s likes this.
  3. Canuck Jan 30, 2020

Since the seconds hand turns 60 times in an hour, the minute hand 24 times in a day, the hour hand, twice, and the GMT hand once, how is it that you are concerned that the seconds hand might be stopping the watch at 12 o’clock? By the time the minute and hour hands reach 12 o’clock, the seconds hand has turned 720 times. I think you are looking in the wrong place.

Hugo_Weaving likes this.
  4. beerbelly Jan 30, 2020

Thanks Sherbie, you are correct the second hand stops at the same spot all the time after a full wound. I look through a loupe it seems like the second hand is slightly curve at the tip and I’m too sure is it touching the crystal at 12’clock position hence causing it to stop. I’m not too sure either whether the crystal is original to the watch and the correct dimension of the height or thickness. How to determine the crystal is original? Thanks alot.

5. henrylee Jan 30, 2020

Love that patina!

watch3s, Hugo_Weaving and beerbelly like this.
  6. Hugo_Weaving Jul 8, 2020

I am not educated enough to speak on the loss of time, but shes beautiful. I have had a crush for quite some time.

7. WatchTimes Jul 8, 2020

I can't imagine your second hand shifting, it can happen but usually on much older pieces.
    My suggestions

1). Give it a good full wind (40 spins or till it gets tighter even though with the clutch it shouldn't get tight BUT if it does don't force it)
    Set it down beside your bed with a note indicating the time you did this. Leave it for 2 days and make note of the time it stopped on the dial, subtract and see how long your power reserve is lasting. It should be between 36-42 hrs. If its not anywhere near there take it for service.

2). If that all pans out and looks normal repeat the process and now after 24 hrs of sitting see how much time it has lost or gained.

If the second hand is indeed loose I imagine you would see a shift if you turn the case over but I don't think that's likely.