Forums Latest Members

Rolex 16500ln versus DSOTM Pitch Black..can only have one!

1. fedpete Nov 22, 2016

Hey Guys--

First post! Ok maybe ridiculous to ask here, but I can only have one(and this is it for at least 5-10 years). 116500 Black face Daytona or a DSOTM Pitch Black.

Like I said, I plan on having this watch for life and not purchasing another for a looooong time.

The new Daytona is iconic, but it seems like the value is with Omega--though I play on this being an every day watch and I am somewhat hesitant on the ceramic and water proof rating.

All thoughts and feedback welcome. Have an awesome day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 22, 2016

What watches do you have, what are your needs for this watch.

3. ConElPueblo Nov 22, 2016

#WUSthread

watchknut, ulackfocus, Uniqez and 4 others like this.
  4. fedpete Nov 22, 2016

I currently have no watches. Want to wear it everyday. Keep for life. Pass down to my kid.

5. fedpete Nov 22, 2016

?

6. Phil h Punxatawnee Phil - now out of the shadows. Nov 22, 2016

If you get the Daytona at list, sell it, make £3-4000 and put that towards a discounted DSOTM. Hey presto a DSOTM at around £3000 :)

Jwit and Nobel Prize like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 22, 2016

Casual,business, active?

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 22, 2016

That is EXACTLY my mindset ~ 15 months ago when I purchased a BNIB Planet Ocean.

...'course I now have a vintage Speedmaster, vintage Longines, and two LNIB/ BNIB Speedmasters as well...

So good luck in your quest to have only one :)

9. fedpete Nov 22, 2016

10. meganfox17 Nov 22, 2016

Hey ! Is this another Rolex vs Omega thread ? Imagine that !

kkt, ulackfocus and Jaacck like this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 22, 2016

Daytona. As nice, better value, easy to sell

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 22, 2016

Between those 2... Daytona.

13. meganfox17 Nov 22, 2016

This thread needs a picture of the Undisputed Victorious Watch & a Legendary F1 Racing champion[​IMG]

kkt, Nitzbar, Nobel Prize and 2 others like this.
  14. Riviera Paradise Nov 22, 2016

@meganfox17 I could not resist taking the bait:)...

If you can get the DSOTM on the grey market for around US$8K, I would choose the DSOTM, I just don't see the Daytona being worth the additional US$4K.

I think both watches have great looks but the DSOTM has a date function, jumping hour hand increments (great for timezone travel) and an exhibition case back. I personally have no emotional link to the Daytona brand, but if you do, this could outweigh any logical arguments presented in this thread.

As has been beaten to death in other threads:)...there really is nothing significant to choose between Rolex and Omega in terms of movement technology. There are the traditional plus points for Rolex: brand status (if that is what you want), resell value (which is diminished as an advantage if the Omega is bought on the grey market.) and on the Omega side the fact that their watches will be more discreet to the general public.

Good luck!

kkt, meganfox17 and Nobel Prize like this.
  15. Jaacck Nov 22, 2016

What drew you to the dark side of the moon in the first place? Quite different watches in terms of looks, did a regular speedy come into your radar?

16. fskywalker Nov 22, 2016

Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. fedpete Nov 22, 2016

To be honest, I just think it looks phenomenal and offers a lot of value.

Emotionally, I think it's a superb watch. Intellectually, I think about resale value, brand value, staying power, ceramic etc etc.

Daytona is iconic--safe bet for long haul--but is that worth 4K more? Could I sell a gray market pitch black for what I bought it for five years from now.......mmmm, probably not my guy says.

18. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 22, 2016

Daytona.

19. Bushido Nov 22, 2016

Only picking one of these two, I'm comfortable stating that the PB is the way to go. The 16500 is not worth an extra $4k (if you can even get at list). I wear my PB all the time, am never anything less than completely happy, and it looks exactly like it did the day I bought it. It will continue to look fresh for a very long time to come as well.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Daytona-C. If fact, I'm on "a list" to pick one up from my AD when my name comes up. However, as a one watch bang for the buck? Pitch Black hands down. Also, don't be nervous about the ceramic case. Damage is incredibly rare and they are not fragile. Simply insure and enjoy it like you would any other watch.

Lastly: Picks of mine!

IMAG0720 (3).jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0320_1.jpg

Riviera Paradise and ahartfie like this.
  20. ulackfocus Nov 22, 2016

Gotta be a Rolex if you want to have game with the ladies. Have you ever seen a "No Vacheron No Sex" t-shirt? :p

celine-durand-poste-une-photo-sexy-et-pour-elle-c-est-no-rolex-no-sex-18067260.jpg no_rolex_no_sex2.gif Unknown.jpeg