Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rolex 1601 Datejust Gilt Dial Alpha Hands Amazing Patina

1. MikeMan2727 Feb 12, 2019

Since I just purchased a Red Sub 1680, I need to sell a few watches I was hoping to keep. Among them is this beautiful Rolex 1601 with the most unique dial that I have seen. I acquired this watch in a trade with @adam78 last year and it was serviced by his watchmaker in July 2017. The watch is running perfectly with smooth winding.

1.jpg

The dial started a gilt black but aged to this lovely speckled "Tiger's Eye" patina. The gilt lettering is extremely crisp, as you can see on the close-up photos. The gold alpha hands have also developed a subtle patina and match the dial nicely. The date wheel has started to age to a nice beige color, which also matches the remainder of the watch perfectly.

The 36mm case on this watch is quite strong with some smalls nicks and surface scratches, commensurate with age. The caseback has an inscription "M.V.S.A" which I chose not to touch. It is quite superficial and could easily be polished out if the buyer chooses.

The serial of 1.07 million dates this one to around 1964. As mentioned above, the cal 1560 was serviced by Adam's watchmaker and is running well. I do not have the tool to open the caseback, but can get it to a watchmaker if it will make or break a deal.

The watch comes on a beautiful Veblenist brown leather strap from our very own @Optimizer13. It is very comfortable and fits the watch perfectly. To the photos!

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

For this watch, I am asking $3500 which will include shipping in the USA. International deals are gladly accepted and will ship at cost to buyer. Transferwise is preferred method of payment for international buyers. No returns unless watch is misrepresented. I have a lot of feedback from sales posted in the Seller Review section if you search by my name. Thanks for looking!

Edited Feb 12, 2019
    slique12, gostang9, Faz and 14 others like this.
  2. rkman11 Feb 12, 2019

Come on, man, I can't be buying right now... you couldn't have waited to drop this until later in the year?! She's a unique beaut, GLWS!

3. brockburst Feb 12, 2019

I mean that is pretty cool honestly.....tropical / patina / etc all overused with damaged dials but that one is just AMAZING wowowowow

MikeMan2727 likes this.
  4. MikeMan2727 Feb 13, 2019

I recommend just buy it now and pretend its later in the year :D

bardamu, sxl2004 and rkman11 like this.
  5. tmw57 Feb 13, 2019

Great dial!

6. Faz Feb 14, 2019

Damn...it sucks to be poor...

Congrats to the new owner. That is one cracking watch.

MikeMan2727 likes this.