Forums Latest Members

Rolex 116500 Daytona vs. Rolex 126710 BLRO GMT

1. Drawarms Apr 2, 2019

This might sound like a thread that would be on another forum (LOL) but love my peeps on OF. Trying to decide which modern Rolex to buy new for myself - Daytona or GMT. In this comparison, please think that I will be paying retail pricing.

Want something I can wear everyday - suit, jeans, shorts, driving, fishing, hunting, etc...
    Want something new that I could put my stamp on, so to speak.

Thoughts?

maxresdefault.jpg

2. stevec14 Apr 2, 2019

I’ll be no help here and say I like both! However, if a one and done I’d choose the Daytona personally.

WatchShopping and Drawarms like this.
  3. jhross98 Apr 2, 2019

Of the modern pair.. Daytona and it's not close
    Now if you made the gmt a vintage piece I'd have a very difficult decision..

WatchShopping and Drawarms like this.
  4. bigdubnick Apr 2, 2019

Owner of 116500 Daytona and a 16710, I'd say the choice between the two of those is really tough (fortunate I don't have to decide)....but pitting the modern GMT against the 116500, I'd choose the Daytona hands down!

The modern GMT case is too thick whereas the Daytona is damn near perfect.

Drawarms likes this.
  5. jhross98 Apr 2, 2019

totally agree with this.. that ceramic daytona is closet to perfect (and i'm a vintage guy) whereas the modern gmt is just a shadow of the vintage versions and the case is way too big

Drawarms and wsfarrell like this.
  6. ATWG Apr 2, 2019

Normally, I'd say the Daytona, but man fishing / hunting don't go hand-in-hand with that watch. The brushed center link will be scuffed in no time. For that reason, I'd say the 126710 with the supper jubilee. Still not ideal for fishing / hunting but will show the wear a lot less so than the Daytona.

For the money, the ceramic Daytona is the most comfortable and best apportioned watch out there. It's an absolute pleasure to wear as an every day watch as it conforms to the curvature of the wrist perfectly. l love mine which gets quite a bit of wrist time in the rotation.

Good luck and let us know your ultimate selection.

watchknut, Drawarms and MaiLollo like this.
  7. jhross98 Apr 2, 2019

yeah. . i am very active and the daytona is fine in most environments but hunting and fishing are not exactly at the top of my list of things i do on a regular basis. . .

Drawarms likes this.
  8. bigdubnick Apr 2, 2019

+1 on the scuffability of the center polished links - biggest pitfall of the modern bracelet..but you either wear it knowing it can be polished out if you want, have the center links brushed, or buy an Everest rubber strap and go about outdoorsman life without a care.

Drawarms likes this.
  9. fbf Apr 2, 2019

not a fan of the ceramic bezel. If I have to pick one, Daytona all the way.

Drawarms likes this.
  10. wkimmd Apr 2, 2019

My thoughts - wanna share with the rest of us where you are getting these at retail price???
    :D:D:D

11. Drawarms Apr 2, 2019

Lucky to have rich friends :D

wkimmd likes this.
  12. Drawarms Apr 2, 2019

Maybe Daytona and then vintage gmt...I do miss my 16750

13. vbrad26 Apr 2, 2019

Here's a vote for GMT

Drawarms likes this.
  14. Jonathan40 Apr 2, 2019

If no date is not of concern for you then Daytona.
    Pepsi in Jubilee is very very bright in every light. The Daytona can slip under the radar more so.
    Tough times, enjoy the one you choose I’m jealous either way.

Regards
    Jon

Drawarms likes this.
  15. Drawarms Apr 2, 2019

well if you get an engagement ring back, F it, spend it on a watch :)

16. bigdubnick Apr 2, 2019

Wait....did you beat that deer to death with a two tone datejust? That would be a f'n badass story!

Drawarms likes this.
  17. To the moon Apr 2, 2019

I hated wearing my Daytona even though I was fortunate enough to have both white and black dial. Unfortunately it's not the watch that's the problem as they are a well designed and beautifully finished piece but, it's the unwanted attention and stigma that goes with it. The " I am a very special person" attachment I couldn't stand. TheGMT wears well but the jubile bracelet is very bling and shouty IMO. Based on the pieces alone, the black dial Daytona is the one. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose as I'm sure you will be happy with any one of the pieces.

Drawarms likes this.
  18. Waxtactic Apr 2, 2019

Nice one...I mean the buck. The watch is cool too...;)

PS: Daytona hands down.

Drawarms likes this.
  19. vintagemillenial Apr 2, 2019

Daytona

Drawarms likes this.
  20. jhross98 Apr 2, 2019

Come on.. .this is all in your head. You're worthy of a daytona if you think you're worthy of a Daytona..

Although after watching the John Mayer video for hodinkeee no, none of us are worthy of a rainbow daytona

Drawarms likes this.