Forums Latest Members

Roger... and how he applies to the watch world.

1. tyrantlizardrex Jan 2, 2017

In the last few months, I've felt my tolerance for several types of forum question, gradually sliding into no tolerance at all.

They can be summed up as:

- I have several thousand $/£/€ I have no idea what to do with.
    - I've heard that watches are cool, and James Bond/celebrity/colleagues I want to be wear one.
    - I want to buy something incredibly cool/exclusive/rare/that will appreciate.
    - It must be brand new.
    - I need you guys to tell me which one I should buy, in which size, which material, which colour, and on which strap.
    - I have no apparent interest in working out for myself what I like.
    - I am angry that pictures on the internet have not helped me to decide how to spend the cash which is burning a
    hole in my pocket.
    - If you don't tell me exactly what I want to hear you are rude/clueless/probably can't afford to buy the super cool
    watch that I want anyway.

Can we please stop this nonsense?

Do some research, choose the thing you like, then ask questions if you need help.

Basically, don't be a "self indulgent Weiner with too much bloody money".

Please.

LawBrk, Buckeyes#1, Fritz and 12 others like this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 2, 2017

I would like to have a chance at being a "self indulgent Weiner with too much bloody money" some day...

Sigh...

Badwolf, Buckeyes#1, Fritz and 3 others like this.
  3. abrod520 Jan 2, 2017

Liked only for the Gone in 60 Seconds reference and clip
    (No strong opinions on the rest one way or the other)

cvrle1, Euxinus and wsfarrell like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 2, 2017

True perhaps , but I remember your early days.

Tbone and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. ulackfocus Jan 2, 2017

Cookie Lizard, I hate to say it yet again, but this is what happens when a forum gets popular - you get some douchebags as part of the growing pains. Unfortunately, there's a recurring pattern and I see it with many watch forums. The rise of a certain type of collector happens to coincide with the increase in the amount of those douchebags. Now, I'm not saying those collectors ARE the douchebags, but it's no coincidence that the strengthening of their numbers goes hand in hand with what we know as the WUSsie bullshit that's been infecting this place more & more prevalently over the past year.

WUS 2.png

Davidt, Garv and Drawarms like this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Jan 2, 2017

It feels like the coloured ceramic watches are making it worse...

7. jimmyd13 Jan 2, 2017

God, I know just what you mean. So which black Rado do you think I should buy?

Buckeyes#1 and Fritz like this.
  8. corn18 Jan 2, 2017

Pepsi Coke Batman?

9. jimmyd13 Jan 2, 2017

A Rado Pepsi-Coke Batman? That sounds too cool. It's like being back in the south where every soda is a coke except for Ale-8.

.... seriously, I now want a Pepsi-Coke Batman Rado. Calling @meganfox17 for her photoshop skills.

10. corn18 Jan 2, 2017

We'll need a Hulk Blueberry Kermit in there as well.

11. jimmyd13 Jan 2, 2017

Blue and green should never be seen unless there's a colour in between.

ulackfocus likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Jan 2, 2017

Only on a track car.

13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 2, 2017

Especially if they suffer chips... :whistling:

14. kkt Jan 2, 2017

I may still be a newbie here, but I never asked strangers on the internet what my good color is...

I should watch Gone in 60 Seconds again.

15. lillatroll Jan 3, 2017

I don't see the point of getting annoyed at such posts, but they are unnecessary clutter to what is a great forum. Perhaps if people stopped replying to them they would disappear quicker. There is enough good quality content here that more than makes up for the other stuff.

wsfarrell, Davidt, Larry S and 5 others like this.
  16. ac106 Jan 3, 2017

Interesting. I don't browse WUS all that much but there are tons of posts like this on The Rolex Forum. I had really attributed this to Rolex induced douchbaggery but perhaps maybe you are correct in that the larger a forum gets the more problems it has.

Now I am curious however: does the WUS Rolex sub-forum have a higher ratio of DB posts vs the TRF? This may confirm your hypothesis

17. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 3, 2017

this.

Davidt, Tbone, Spacefruit and 2 others like this.
  18. abrod520 Jan 3, 2017

Watching that scene again now, I still wonder if the movie producers thought it would be likely that a Ferrari dealer would just have a 275 GTB/4 chilling in the garage, and an F40 sitting on the showroom floor.

Then again, right around the time the movie was released, I walked into a Ferrari dealer on my way past and saw just that on the floor, a beautiful F40 - with none other than a 333SP next to it. Who knows

Tbone and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  19. JFingers Jan 3, 2017

And now I want an Ale-8. Thanks. If I had too much bloody money I would have kegs of it sent to my extended vacation spot. Along with an Orange Monster.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  20. jimmyd13 Jan 3, 2017

I went through cases of that stuff one very hot May, digging a pond in Kentucky ... thank god it's not available anywhere else.