Forums Latest Members

Rodania Datofonic...any thoughts please

1. Tiger8888 Mar 26, 2017

I am looking at this Datofonic with an AS 1475 alarm movement and wondered if anyone had any knowledge/thoughts/own one. I understand Roadania were Belgian, died in the Quartz era, but have been resurrected in some form.
    This is from the 60s and the movement common with many brands (GP, Bulova, Tissot etc) for their alarm models.
    Much appreciated.
    Mark. image.jpeg

2. U5512 Mar 26, 2017

I have a couple of modern Rodania automatic watches with standard ETA-2824 movement, so I can't comment on your alarm watch. But, that is one very clean looking vintage alarm Rodania watch there.

Tiger8888 likes this.
  3. Canuck Mar 26, 2017

That movement was used by Vulcain (Cricket), Bulova, obviously Rodania, and countless others. Russia did a clone which appears to me to be nearly identical. I have a parts movement from that maker. I have the AS version on my bench right now, with a name I'd never heard of. Considering the number of those with assorted names that show up on this MB, there were lots of them around, and it would seem they were good, reliable performers.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 26, 2017

Nice watch, and good value – providing the condition is very good or better all-around.

Edited Mar 26, 2017
    Tiger8888 likes this.
  5. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Mar 26, 2017

I heard the seller of this particular watch is a total hero, he once saved a kitten from an angry bear armed with nothing but a Bergeon Tool
    No. 3153

If he were on this forum i think he would advise that you buy it because it's "well good and runs proper" (grr go get them tiger!) he would say something like "its probably one of the best running alarm watches he has ever sold"

AND its a great talking point when people come round i talk to him about watches (i would think) when he gets to the bit where he goes "and watches (mechanical watches) can do so much more than just tell the time!" i think this would be one of the watches that he brings out somewhere between a world time and a weems with reactions like "OH WOW i never knew mechanical watches could do that that's amazing!"

And i think now he will need to try really hard to replace it because he really likes having something to SHOW the lesser educated "young" collectors I think he will probably be quite upset to lose one of his "shock and awe pieces"... but ultimately he will be happy the watch has gone to a new home

I think, Mark, the seller would tell you that he thinks you will be quite impressed with the alarm function AND he will tell you that he offers 30 day returns for any or no reason even if you simply "Don't like it"

And i think he would thank you for your purchase and will post tomorrow and you should have it by tuesday

But thats just what i think he would possibly say.. ;)

The_Walrus likes this.
  6. Tiger8888 Mar 26, 2017

Thank you

7. Tiger8888 Mar 26, 2017

He, the fictional seller, would certainly have an imagination!
    I wasn't asking about the authenticity (I'm relieved to say I am told he is a fine, upstanding watch seller), but really some background on the brand and this particular model.
    I will look forward to receiving the watch shortly and hope that no animal was hurt in the making of this production.

FullyWound likes this.
  8. Tiger8888 Mar 26, 2017

Thank you

9. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Mar 27, 2017

10. Tiger8888 Mar 27, 2017

Wow...that's fantastic!
    I'd done some research, but struggled to find much. That's a very interesting read and really appreciate the input.
    I don't have a large collection but do have a few interesting bits from the 70s....Omega f300 and Accutron RailRoad (love the hummers), a Seiko KS and a Tissot Seastar. This will be an interesting addition.
    Let's hope RM don't take their time!
    I'll post a photo when it's on the wrist....with my cat.

FullyWound likes this.
  11. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Mar 27, 2017

En route ive included some "random" info i was in a bit of a hurry so i didn't personalise it much to your watch sorry it was a bit of a copy paste joby Its a caliber that Rodania Watch co used a lot in some really interesting watches see also https://omegaforums.net/threads/ugly-duckling-watches-with-patina.54659/#post-669679 for an automatic AS Rodania used for an abercrombie

Tiger8888 likes this.
  12. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Mar 29, 2017

@Tiger8888 who the ::censored:: is Scott? :confused:

:D glad you like it tho.. First alarm watch?

13. Tiger8888 Mar 29, 2017

Yes. I quite like a few quirky watches and this is certainly one. Puts a smile on my face!
    Thanks Scott.

14. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Mar 29, 2017

My name is Kostas... (?) i will say.. dont be disappointed if you buy another and the alarm is not that good they are usually a bit of a dribble but this one is.. REALLY "alarmy" there usually more of a wet dribble.. its partly the case desighn giving maximum resonance and new mainspring

15. M.C.B1974 Mar 29, 2017

Vulcain made alarm watches with the A.S 1475 but I don't think they were the Crickets, I believe the crickets have a different movement and work off one crown and a alarm activating button.
    I have many new old stock parts for the A.S 1475 if you needed anything.
    Cheers

16. Vitezi Mar 29, 2017

17. Vitezi Mar 29, 2017

From 1974...your watch on the left with day/date? Check out the OEM strap too:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

Edited Mar 29, 2017
    Tiger8888 and FullyWound like this.
  18. Tiger8888 Mar 30, 2017

Much appreciated. Thank you

FullyWound likes this.
  19. Tiger8888 Mar 30, 2017

Many thanks.

20. Tiger8888 Mar 30, 2017

Scott, Kostas.....?
    Yes, the alarm is substantial for such an esteemed older gent.
    I'm next after a 70s Omega....probably a Seamaster to compliment my Omega trilogy.
    Again, thanks.
    Marco.