Forums Latest Members
  1. cgreen Aug 9, 2014

Morning all,

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I'm really interested in a time-only or time and date vintage Omega and I'm curious what calibers to look for that would be the most robust.

I've heard about the 30T2, are there other really solid, reliable mechanical calibers I should be considering?

To that end, the piece I imagine is stainless, black waffle dial, gold indexes, sub seconds (or center, not really a big deal). Does such a piece exist and if so are there specific calibers I should look for in it?

Any forum suggestions are most appreciated. And if there are any photos or wrist shots of black dialed waffle or otherwise really interesting pieces I'd be grateful to see them. As always thanks very much, you guys are terrific. Speak soon.

Yours,

Chris

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2014

Anything in the 30mm hand-winding range is solid, the Calibre 3xx bumpers are all solid, Calibre 5xx full rotors and 7xx full rotors are also excellent. When you get into the 70s with the 1000 series that's where things go down hill a bit.

3. John R Smith Aug 9, 2014

The black waffle dial is the difficult bit. There are not too many of those about ;)

4. NT931 Aug 9, 2014

[quote="cgreen, post: 171138, member: 4478" And if there are any photos or wrist shots of black dialed waffle or otherwise really interesting pieces I'd be grateful to see them. [/quote]

Ahhh, waffle / honeycomb dials... you can see a tremendous range of lovely waffle dials (several in black) in this recent thread. A truly impressive range on display.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 9, 2014

The hand winding ones have to be more robust purely because they haven't got the oscillating weight with its axle constantly under stress.

I have not taken a 30T2 apart but the 613 is a pretty good and solid movement.

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 9, 2014

Here's mine. DSCN0173 (2).JPG

timeismoney, NT931, rhetoric and 3 others like this.
  7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 9, 2014

If I recall, the 30mm hand wind movements include the 26x series (sub-seconds) and the 28x series (sweep seconds). I know my watchmaker is fond of these, even if the parts are difficult to source.

8. Hijak Aug 9, 2014

Reference 2767 cal. 354 circa 1955
    Wrist Shot, 2.JPG

UncleBuck likes this.
  9. speedbird Aug 9, 2014

Im gonna go with the 30t2 based calibers too

10. cgreen Aug 9, 2014

Hi everyone,

Really terrific posts, information and photos, I love those textured dials, very nice. Someone mentioned that the waffle dials in black are hard to come by, aside from this forum are there other places more Omega-centric to look?

Additionally, what is a bumper caliber?

Thanks very much again, looking forward to tracking one down. Have a great evening.

Chris

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2014

A bumper is an automatic where the weight doesn't rotate fully, it oscillates back and forth within an arc to generate energy.