Forums Latest Members

Roamer Stingray Jet-Time Chronograph

1. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 10, 2013

New arrival from the early days of the Concorde... the Roamer Stingray Chrono JT (Jet-Time).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dig the toothy crown guards:

[​IMG]

Detail of the dial in bright sunlight, with the logo on the original crystal casting its shadow on the sweep second hand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a Valjoux 23 inside. These Stingray cases are a bit funny to open, so no movement shots today, just the obligatory wristy:

[​IMG]

There is some debate in the literature about the significance of JT (Journey Timer vs. Jet Timer vs. Jet-Time vs. James Taylor vs. Justin Timberlake).
    Here is a charming video that answers the question, and highlights some of the JT's contemporaries, including a sparkly "He-Watch for the He-Man":

stefan and Stewart H like this.
  2. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2013

Nice use of a prop in those photos.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 10, 2013

Roamer design certainly captured the mood of the time. I am particularly fond of my Valjoux 72 Stingray, and I feel my sideburns and chest hair start to grow when I wear it.

[​IMG]

Now that we haven't decided what "J-globe-T" means, can we decide on "C-trident-D"? This one seems kitted out with a diving bezel, so perhaps "Chrono-Diver"? (and say, MMMD, don't you need this one to complete the set?)

Roamer stingray CD.JPG

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 10, 2013

Yeah baby, yeah.;)

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 10, 2013

JT means Jet-Time. When a man says it on television in an English accent, it has to be true. Didn't you watch the video?
    That Valjoux 72 Stingray is a classic... nicer lines than the more heavily armored Zenith tonneau cases.... put on a watch like that and you're ready to wield a trident in a news team rumble.
    I'll need that and the CD... and another model to be named after it is in my hot little hands.

That Mustang D+D Indianapolis has Stewart H written all over it.

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 10, 2013

..... as long as I don't have to wear those bloody awful string-back driving gloves.

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 10, 2013

Funky!. Hope the crown guards don't bite. :D

8. woodwkr2 Nov 14, 2013

How do those casebacks open? Is that a split stem design?

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 14, 2013

No. You have to use the force of your personality. That's where the sideburns come in.

SpikiSpikester and Stewart H like this.
  10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 15, 2013