Forums Latest Members
  1. Socks Nov 21, 2018

Hello Collective,

Would welcome your opinions on this one.

I have been badgering my father for years to dig out his fathers old watch and he has given me what I think from research at mirius.co.uk it is a Roamer MST 175. From the mirius site there are a couple of examples matching both movement & dial/case, but one was gold & the other was Nickel. The case back on this one does not say. There also is no MST logo so from another site assuming it’s pre 1928.
    It’s early days but it is a 36hr+ runner but gaining. The Crown is quite loose in/out but hard to wind due to its size & profile (assuming it's a replacement crown). The movement is slightly loose in the case and from family history in the 50's it may have taken an impromptu trip with the wearer into the local pond (don't ask!).
    I don't want to run it too much more as it probably hasn't been active for 30 years. The plan would be to get it serviced and add it to the collection IMG_8894.JPG IMG_8892.JPG IMG_8893.JPG IMG_8887.JPG IMG_8889.JPG IMG_8895.JPG . Would like your advice on servicing and whether it would be economical or possible (parts). Was thinking of the Watch Guy, he looks like he has experience with Roamer watches.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. SeanO Nov 22, 2018

It's a silver case (the .925 is the giveaway).

if the watch was purchased in the UK then you can check the silver hallmarks to confirm the year.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 22, 2018

The M&S is the sponsor mark for Meyer and Stüdeli (later used the Roamer brand).
    Hallmark (opposing horizontal Fs) is for Glasgow Assay Office, the import date letter of "e" in an oval is for 1927/1928.

When you get the watch serviced (it desperately needs it, look at the regulator!), the barrel bridge will need to be re-bushed, you can see bad wear to one side of the centre wheel pinion.

MSTCWPW.png

4. Socks Nov 22, 2018

Thank you gents, very impressive knowledge. I know you can't put a value on it's sentimental value, but is it an economic repair?

5. SeanO Nov 22, 2018

almost certainly not from the point of whether or not the 300 or more dollars you'll have to invest in the repair and service will be returned should you turn the watch over.

if the memory of gramps is strong when you're holding the watch in your hand or imagining wearing it then...