Forums Latest Members

Road trip through Europe Suggestions sought for watch stops/shops

1. philh Aug 18, 2016

For the first time in 25 years we have no children to accommodate in our holiday plans so are undertaking a road trip which broadly at this early planning stage will start at Zeebrugge then head into Germany (Mosel valley,Munich BMW museum),Switzerland,Italian lakes/Ligurian riviera,Cote d'azur /Gascony/St jean de luz then back up France via Loire valley.
    General aim of the trip is good scenery/food/wine but if I can I am happy to visit/purchase some vintage watches along the way but have struggled to find any establishments via internet searches
    I did consider venturing across to Saxony in eastern Germany to go to Glashuette but decided against as it is a major detour but I am going to Bienne to the Omega Museum but will have to limit museum visits as whist my wife tolerates my hobby she is not going to let me just do watch related activities.Dragging me around shops though is a different matter so if I can combine my grudging agreement to suffer retail hell but know there is a nice watch shop or 2 worth visiting then it is a win win
    Any help would be gratefully received otherwise this could end up as being a pure wine purchasing trip(not a bad idea) as I am having no trouble finding vineyards to visit

2. ioaniro Aug 18, 2016

Not sure about shopping but if you enter through Bale to go towards Bienne you could follow this route for about 200km:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Valley
    http://www.juradreiseenland.ch/en/discoveries/watch-valley.html
    even just for the sightseeing.
    Whether you go as far as Geneve is up to you (old town has quite some interesting shops) but if you want the long tour you can go around the Leman lake (on the swiss side) through this region:
    https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Lavaux
    then turn east through Valais to go into Ticino and then turn south to go to Italy. If you're into that sort of thing there's also the Moto Guzzi museum and factory just beyond the border as a bonus.
    Lavaux and Valais will also fill your wine shopping desire.

3. calalum Aug 18, 2016

The locals can address better than me, but my wife and I were just in Switzerland and there are big watch stores in all of the big cities (and even in the mountains in Zermatt). There is a pretty good vintage shop in Zurich just off the water which is easy to find (great art museums in Zurich as well). I haven't found good vintage shops in the Cote d'azur but others may know better. Don't miss the Macht Foundation. There are some good vintage shops in Paris if you are going there but with their prices it is really more about looking than buying for most of us. Lots of good food and wine, depending on where you are.

philh likes this.
  4. Longitude Aug 18, 2016

Go to Glasshute, please!!!

Sent via Tapatalk

5. philh Aug 19, 2016

I am using the Michelin guide to plan the trip and at present I am crossing into Switzerland at Schaffhausen and heading down to Zurich then going on to Bienne .The next day I intend to head out to Le Locle but I then have to head south to Italy otherwise I am in grave danger of having a grumpy travel companion.She wants to spend some time on either Lake Como or Maggiore so this is clearly not the most direct route but it satisfies my watch lust.
    This route means I will be picking up some of your suggestions so thank you very much

6. philh Aug 19, 2016

Thank you my route now includes Zurich so I will look out for the shop

7. dx009 Aug 19, 2016

Just for the record, that's not a record through Europe. That's a road trip through a quart of Europe. :D

philh likes this.
  8. philh Aug 19, 2016

It looks a fantastic place to visit but it is a mighty detour for me and whilst I have just under 4 weeks I was struggling to persuade my wife (she wants to ensure she gets enough time on the Med coast

Longitude likes this.
  9. ioaniro Aug 19, 2016

9-11 of september are the moto guzzi open house days in Mandello del Lario on lake Como. If you're not there for the motorcycling hystory you might want to chose lago Maggiore for accommodations as around Mandello it can get pretty crowded.

tapaptpat likes this.
  10. Jonatan Aug 19, 2016

Will you be coming to the french part of Switzerland? Some really good underrated wines here not to mention watches. Also, where in Italy are you going?

11. lillatroll Aug 19, 2016

I found a pretty decent watch shop in Torino, when I was there a few weeks ago. My understanding is that Italy is a country with quite a big number of vintage watch collectors. The prices were by no means ran away bargins but fair, especially considering they are bricks and mortar shops. Found a nice vintage rolex in Padova and quite a lot of UG watches here and there. Was not allowed to buy anything though. Enjoy your holiday.

philh likes this.
  12. Jonatan Aug 19, 2016

I second that. Vintage watches abound in Italy. I've seen many nice UGs in Milan and Bologna.

13. philh Aug 19, 2016

Hi Jonatan
    I will be driving through the Chasseral and Doubs Regions then dropping down to Lausanne and exiting via the Simplon pass using the car train.In Italy we are staying on Lake Maggiore and will then go down to Rappallo/Santa Margherita Ligure to allow us to visit Portofino and the Cinque Terre
    Major cities are therefore Milan and Genoa
    Any hints on wine would be gratefully received as your choice of chocolate was superb (kept the wrappers so I can stock up)

14. philh Aug 19, 2016

Thank you for this as we will be in the lakes 9/09 to the 12/09 and have now opted for Lago Maggiore albeit it would have been good to see the bikes

15. alam Aug 19, 2016

my priority would be...food, wine, beer, and time permitting, one or two watch museums (Omega is a must)... ;)

philh likes this.
  16. ioaniro Aug 20, 2016

Was around in zurich today so noted down a few places:
    http://www.greenwich.ch/
    and then in the same area in Hechtplatz there is another watch shop (in the same are there is also an official Omega AD that has a CK2998 in the window if you were looking for one). Then following the river up there is a small shop on the left on the Rathausbrücke (small pedestrian bridge). If instead of turning left on the bridge you go right in the town there are a few interesting small shops with watches (one on Rindermarkt).

philh likes this.
  17. philh Aug 20, 2016

Thank you and I will follow up on your suggestions