Forums Latest Members
  1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 27, 2020

As a lifelong Los Angeles Lakers fan (since 1979) this is just devastating news. I find myself trying to remember all the games I saw him play in person when I lived in the east coast.

2. Evose Jan 27, 2020

RIP Black Mamba. What a tragedy for all involved.

3. lillatroll Jan 27, 2020

It is indeed sad but 8 other people also died and apart from his daughter no one else who died seems to get a mention.

May they all rest in peace.

Tony, zinengineer, Traveler and 6 others like this.
  4. Dan S Jan 27, 2020

It's a terrible tragedy, for all of the families involved. However, in my mind, there is an indelible stain on his name and I have a hard time listening to all the accolades. It's pretty difficult to separate the rest of Kobe's life from the events of 2003, and maybe it's because I live in Colorado and we lived with that story for a long time. So when I see everyone talking about what a great person he was, and dedicating games and award shows to him, those events come to the forefront of my mind.

Tony, Archer and duc like this.
  5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 27, 2020

I met Kobe a few years back. He was waiting for his wife and kids while they were getting frozen yogurt. Friendly and engaging. We chatted about our kids and the fact that we both had girls of similar ages. I didn't ask him for anything and I think he liked a moment of normalcy, just two dads.

6. vbrad26 Jan 27, 2020

I'm not a follower of pro sports ball so I can't claim my self to be a fan (I don't dislike it just don't follow).
    But even still, it is shocking and upsetting. I guess for me it is more of a wake up call, or an eye opener so to speak.
    Crazy things can happen to anyone at any time. For me, that really puts life into perspective.
    And that's what gets me...
    The universe does not care who you are. When it is your time, it is your time, and it can come in the blink of an eye in the most unexpected ways.
    Plus with me being a relatively new dad, stories like these get to me a little extra these days.

7. jaguar11 Jan 27, 2020

The name or the person mean nothing to me but so sad nonetheless for all those who lost their lives. Rest in piece.

8. BDHD Jan 27, 2020

It is a shame for the world of sports. One of the best basketball players there has been. Breaking records, demonstrating loyalty to a team, being a reference for a whole country. A player who really played for the love of the shirt. I'm sure if he had wanted to, he was still putting points in the NBA. God wanted it ahead of time, very sorry for him and his 13-year-old daughter

9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2020

So sad to hear.

Ive been involved with helicopters for many years, the Sikorsky S-76 is a super cool piece of kit and extremely safe. Most helicopter crashes are pilot error, its looking like this is also with flying in poor visibility. The pilot was told he was too low by So-Cal control, which means radar and voice was intermittent. 2 seconds later, the heli was lost.

The LA police grounded their heli's yesterday for poor visibility.

Ultimately, the NTSB will investigate, but it doesn't make it any easier for their loved ones.

R.I.P Kobe and all on board.

10. vbrad26 Jan 27, 2020

Is that so?
    I was with friends when the news broke and we all agreed that we hear about helicopter crashes too much, at least in the last few years.
    Seems like there have been a few lately involving tourism and what not.
    So is that to say that there are too many inexperienced helicopter pilots around?

I actually had a cousin that was killed in a helicopter crash a little over 5 years ago.
    By no fault of the aircraft, but rather air traffic control...

11. bubba48 Jan 27, 2020

I saw his father playing in Italy and sometimes Kobe was on the sideline during the match

R.I.P..

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 27, 2020

Yes a big stain to be sure but on top of everything he did after that he died not doing some self indulgent risky thing but being a dad.

13. killer67 Jan 27, 2020

Been to many games and he was always electric. RIP #8 #24

Let’s not forget about the other people on board that have been largely overshadowed by the media (understandably) two of which were just kids

14. saulgoodman Jan 27, 2020

Go with God.

15. killer67 Jan 27, 2020

Always remember fearlessness of Kobe when Barnes faked the ball into Kobes face

GandOsDad likes this.
  16. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2020

As soon as I saw the fog I said pilot error... I wasn't wrong it seems. Helis dont just fall out of the sky, human error is largely to blame in most.

This article sums it up nicely

https://qz.com/1791791/helicopter-crashes-like-kobe-bryants-have-become-more-common/

vbrad26 likes this.
  17. killer67 Jan 29, 2020

Outpouring has been inspiring

AF2A2338-4F69-4742-9109-09728ACD3EE9.jpeg