Forums Latest Members
  1. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 11, 2015

Firstly, let me admit a shameful truth.......I'm not a collector, hell, I'd barely qualify as a watch enthusiast ;), but ever since steering my late father's three watches through their rejuvenation processes, I've taken an interest in watches, and in particular Omegas.

Now, I'd never say I have a "grail watch", probably because of my particular tastes. I'll whisper it softly, but chronos, including speedys just don't float my boat. Connies are nice, but too dressy for me and anyway, I've inherited my late father's gold Rolex 1003 for formal wear. So that leaves sports/diver watches.

After a fair bit of research, I came up with my ideal watch. Not too big, not to flashy, but with a good balance of presence and style. However, Omega no longer make it and in my opinion, the current iteration just doesn't sing to me :oops:

In the meantime (and don't laugh) this Orient Blue Mako became my daily beater
    Blue Mako.jpg
    So today, I wandered into town (Aberdeen Scotland) to get a couple of things. I was walking past a pawn shop when something caught my eye. It was my ideal watch, and the price was extremely reasonable. There must be a catch I thought - it'll be the quartz version surely, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, so into the shop I went. The watch had a box and cards, and to my eye looked pretty much immaculate - scratch free crystal, clean clasp and only a couple of microscopic scratches on the side of the bezel.

I couldn't resist. I now am the proud owner of my ideal watch - a 2255.80 ::psy::
    Seamaster.jpg
    Happy days!

Taddyangle, noelekal, x3no and 6 others like this.
  2. Hijak Sep 11, 2015

Congratulations on acquiring a great watch:thumbsup:, I too love this model, especially with this bracelet.

I think you have great taste!;)
    Wrist Shot, 10.JPG

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 11, 2015

Fantastic! It's a great story, and a beautiful watch!

4. jcmartinez98 Sep 11, 2015

that color, those hands, and that strap is the only iteration of the diver that i consider to be a homerun.
    well-played.

5. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2015

The Electric Blue is one of the best Seamaster models ever made. :thumbsup:

By the way, you can tell the quartz model from the automatic even if the second hand isn't moving - look for "CHRONOMETER" on the dial. With it, it's the auto version. Without it, it's the quartz version.

noelekal and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 11, 2015

At that point, I had my nose pressed to the shop window trying to make out the details. Didn't confirm until I got a closer look. Immediately after purchasing, I nipped into the local AD and had the bracelet resized to fit my skinny wrists (3 links removed :eek:)

I reckon I got it for around £4-500 below market value (not that I'm looking to flip :cool:).

Hijak likes this.
  7. genghis khan Sep 11, 2015

Isn't that always the case with most watch purchases. They tend to find you than the other way around. Great story and beautiful watch. Wear her in good health. -Khurram.