Forums Latest Members
  1. gdupree Sep 9, 2019

Anyone see OBJ wearing a Richard Mille yesterday? made the news today. Apparently it violates the rules as a "hard object" even though jewelry is allowed. Can you imagine? Hideous watch IMO...

[​IMG]

Haven't been around here much lately but still pop in and keep up as much as I can - new job keeping me busy. Hug your speedy's for me...

2. Evitzee Sep 9, 2019

Hideous is just one man's opinion, but I think it's crazy to wear any watch while playing football. Nadal playing tennis with a Mille, or Bubba Watson playing golf, no issues, but this goof ball wearing a Mille is just plain dumb. I don't think he is any sort of ambassador for the brand, he just did on his own.

Mark020, TwinPeaks and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Sep 9, 2019

Can you imagine what sort of damage that thing could do to someone's face during a hard tackle or similar?

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  4. Evitzee Sep 9, 2019

Seems the NFL has said NYET to future wearing of watches or any 'hard object'.

5. TwinPeaks Sep 9, 2019

I just saw this picture the other day. Why would anyone want to wear a watch playing Professional football?

Mark020 likes this.
  6. MRC Sep 9, 2019

Helmet? Boots?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  7. Evitzee Sep 9, 2019

Any personal equipment not required for safe play as specified by the NFL. So no hard knuckles on your gloves, spikes on your helmet, or a watch on your wrist.

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 9, 2019

Would have been a pity if OBJ’s left wrist got speared by a defensive helmet.
    “Time Out Cleveland” to search for moment parts.

Seriously, me and my fellow NY Giant fans have had to endure this moron for his first 5 years in the NFL. Cleveland deserves him.

Not really familiar with this particular watch. Is it a chronograph? Might be useful since Beckham has lost a step.

Edited Sep 9, 2019
    f3dbca, Mark020, BenBagbag and 3 others like this.
  9. Evitzee Sep 9, 2019

Not sure if his was a chrono, but most of high end Mille's are a tourbillon at a minimum.

10. billving Sep 9, 2019

he's wearing it for one reason, so the press and all of us (and non watch people) are talking about it. He wants to stay relevant since he decided to leave the biggest media market in the world as a divisive player and "teammate" that undermined his own team. The Robinson Cano of football, just looking for the bucks.

Great marketing for Mille since I'm assuming that they gave it to him, people know I'm a watch guy and I already had 3 people ask me about it.

11. billving Sep 9, 2019

And....they got BOMBED. Should have been worried a little more about the game? (Though I did look it up and he caught 7 passes). And no,,,,I am not a Giants fan.

12. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 9, 2019

Patriots on the road to #7!

And that watch is hideous!

13. mz_cle Sep 9, 2019

I'm a Browns fan, and I would prefer a win over any player wearing a Mille on the field.

As someone who loved playing the game too, I can't imagine any reason why he would wear it besides attention.

billving and gdupree like this.
  14. pongster Sep 9, 2019

It’s a flyback chrono. So he can easily reset the stopwatch.

15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 9, 2019

So that explains it. OBJ is wearing a flyback chrono to help his Browns offense avoid “delay of game” penalties.

16. pnwyankee Sep 9, 2019

The NFL and OBJ deserve each other.

17. queriver Sep 9, 2019

Players wear helmets with guards and assorted other body armour in this strange form of football, so it's the watch that'll come off 2nd best in a tackle.

18. zinengineer Sep 9, 2019

the guy is an idiot, plain and simple; suspend him for a few games to let him think about it. Just play the game you get paid to play in. He'll be even more irrelevant in a few years than he already is

Edited Sep 9, 2019
  19. Yelfel Sep 9, 2019

I don’t get all the criticism of OBJ, especially from the watch community. Safety, really? This is football, since when does the public care about a watch scratching a football player during a game? I make every excuse to wear any of my watches in any situation. The fact that the RM can withstand a pro football game is pretty badass! Talk about sport watch, this is the ultimate test. But the appeal of RM or lack thereof, I get.

If Tom Brady or Eli Manning did the same, it would be fashionable and a “brand ambassador”. OBJ and he’s a goofball, idiot, moron...

Edited Sep 9, 2019
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 9, 2019

I agree, there’s no safety reason not to wear it. As for Nadal wearing one being ok. It’s not like tenis players don’t fall, jump, hit the ground or expose watches to g forces.

So what is making people mad? That he wore a watch?

And there’s no question this is highly choreographed if not by him by the RM team because it matches the uniform perfectly.

I don’t like the aesthetic of RM, but as far as a RM goes on any wrist on any athlete this looks pretty good to me.

Does Nadal need one while playing tenis on a court with nothing but clocks around him? No, does A golf player need it? No. Does this guy? No. Why is it worse for him?

Hell, even sprinters do it now....

If I’m a football player ( and I don’t like American football) and I see a 300 pound man dressed in body armor running towards me I won’t panic because he’s wearing a watch. At least I’ll know at what time I got crushed.