Forums Latest Members

Richard Mille, Haute Couture or Haute Mess?

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 21, 2019

The only isssue I’ve with RM is that they’re so toy looking that I can’t tell the difference between a real one and a 500 dollar knockoff. Seriously - the knockoffs look identical.

2. jimmyd13 Jan 21, 2019

If we're going to misquote bosquet, might as well finish the phrase: "c'est de la folie".

(And for those who don't recognise the quote, it was said after the Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava: " C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pa's la guerre. C'est de la folie" - it is magnificent, but it is not war. It is madness.)

marco and time flies like this.
  3. Inpw Jan 21, 2019

It doesn't really matter what we think or write as we are neither in RM's target audience nor is the latter likely to read or care about a WIS' opinion. I'm sure they are a lot of fun if you've got money to burn and and either are not interested in or already have more serious watches. Would I wear one? Not if you paid me. Then again I wouldn't wear a modern Rolex, so what do I know.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 21, 2019

I don’t consider these controversial or aesthetically objectionable. They aren’t in my budget or my taste, but honestly some of the reactions here are very over the top. There are plenty of watches that cost more that I like less than these...

As I said, horses for courses.

5. mrchen Jan 21, 2019

Love it or hate it RM has been doing what they do best-- making watches that are expensive as hell and get people talking.

Personally, I respect the fact that they doubled down on their image with the most recent SIHH releases. In an industry that is turning towards vintage this, faux lume that, and sub 40mm cases, RM continues to make these big, tootsie roll looking fuckers. It's a big middle finger to the trends, and I love that they continue to play into their strengths.

They have also mentioned that since this is their last SIHH, we should expect some more austere releases later in the year being introduced via press kits.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  6. snarkq Jan 21, 2019

All respect for RM, as other brands continue to lazily draw inspiration from their archives, they bring something new with a surge of creative energy.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2019

I don't think its even controversial at all, the H. Moser Swiss Icon perhaps is but even that was sort of playful taking of the piss.

8. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 22, 2019

@Robert-Jan writes about them very well in his SIHH wrap-up article:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/sih...il&utm_term=0_b515b4ef06-1445ebb230-123636445

"I admire the craftsmanship, but boy… who buys this stuff? I got the feeling that the person who gave the presentation on these Richard Mille novelties couldn’t suppress his true feelings towards these watches at certain times. This has never been done before, for sure, but there was a good reason for that, and this collection demonstrates clearly why. I hope Richard Mille will return to watches as they did in the past. Highly complicated movements and cases and using special (light-weight) materials. That said, I am sure there are enough people out there with more money than taste who will jump on this. "

[​IMG]

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 22, 2019

Funny as I was just on the RM forum reading the
    “ They put a cartoon character and a Japanese superhero on a speedmaster “ thread.

Paedipod, Archer, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  10. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 22, 2019

:D

Touché !

Archer, noelekal and STANDY like this.
  11. Mac5 Jan 23, 2019

Finally! A gift for the person who literally has everything.