Forums Latest Members
  1. ChuckMK23 divorced caveman / modern sugar daddy Jul 4, 2016

So what's the deal with Rhodium? I have read the Wikipedia article on the element itself but it talked about its chemical properties and how it is a kin to platinum in many ways.

But with respect to a speed master, where exactly is it applied? Does it wear off? Is it really something just similar to chrome plating?

noelekal likes this.
  2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 4, 2016

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 4, 2016

The plates and bridges of the movement are made of brass, and then plated with Rhodium on the Cal. 1861 inside modern Speedmasters. Since it's on the inside, it's not subject to a lot of wear, but plating on watch movements can come off given enough time and cleanings, in particular if the cleaning is aggressive.

There are also parts that can move inside the watch, so they can ride on the plated surface and wear it off.

Cheers, Al

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 4, 2016

Tough stuff, I have a few rhodium plated pens, looks like platinum or well polished stainless but doesn't scratch at all.
    I've dropped these things on the plant floor a few times and they just don't seem to mark

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 4, 2016

Isn't most white gold jewelry and watch cases in fact given a plating or rhodium so that what we're seeing on the surface is rhodium?

[​IMG]
    I keep this neato 1949 Gillette Executive razor. Only made one year and marketed about Christmas time, it is the only completely rhodium-plated razor the U.S. Gillette company ever produced. Rhodium-plated razors were more popularly supplied in England by Gillette who manufactured them there as any of several "Aristocrat" models. A "President" model was sold in the 1950s in the U.S. but it only has a rhodium-plated handle, the head being plated in the much more common nickel.

[​IMG]
    Here's the American Rhodium Gillette Executive razor again, shown with two of their gold-plated models. I've not used the Rhodium Gillette often but it doesn't seem to show any wear.

Rhodium is very attractive.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 4, 2016

It depends. For a long time yes white gold was rhodium plated (white gold that is plated like this isn't very white - more very, very pale yellow) but some modern makers alloy the gold with different substances so that plating isn;t required, and the watch is still white. Palladium is one of those alloys. But rhodium plating will give the brightest white gold...

noelekal likes this.
  7. manivxr Jul 4, 2016

I have a sterling silver ring which is rhodium plated. Extra nice since and it does not tarnish like silver

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

8. Canuck Jul 4, 2016

Surprise surprise! A lot of white gold jewellery and silver is chrome plated! Rhodium is the most expensive of the platinum group. Chrome is cheaper, so it is often used on "popularly" priced jewellery. I have heard the term "karat platinum" applied to some forms of white alloy jewellery. I have never had it explained to me in terms I understand, exactly what these alloys are. They are not platinum/palladium alloys.

9. manivxr Jul 5, 2016

Interesting. Chrome tarnishes and loses its finish. Chrome plated silver. Now you learn something new everyday.
    Makes more sense to plate it something which keeps the lustre like platinum.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ChuckMK23 likes this.
  10. ChuckMK23 divorced caveman / modern sugar daddy Jul 5, 2016

Oh wait! So Rhodium is used *inside* and not on exterior of current gen Speedy ?