Forums Latest Members

Review, the Blancpain Bathyscaphe, Subdued Luxury

1. Rockmastermike May 31, 2017

The Bathyscaphe is discrete and purposeful and I can't remember where I heard the term but it is "subdued luxury"

43mm wide and 13.4mm thick, it is sportier than its big brother with a sunburst dial that is explosive and ever shifting - the SS version sports a grey-ish dial while the Ti version goes with a black dial.

The overall delivery / effect is immediately one of "shock and awe" at the confluence and harmony of, what on the surface seem to be mismatched elements. The tool-ish indicators of the Heavily grained titanium, larger crown and hardcore NATO paired with highly polished white gold hands/makers and a ceramic bezel that normally are associated with dress-ier type watches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two things I want you to notice in this shot: 1) Beaultiful play of the dial and 2) the facted lugs

[​IMG]

The facet on the lugs tapers up to the case showing off very pleasing lines up to the crown - the crown is not small, but not out of place either - very easy to grip and operate and still keeping in proper perspective with the case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ceramic Bezel with Liquid Metal inserts and very crisp and sharp detent

[​IMG]

Polished white gold indices and hands and the printing text is austere - small logo and fine printing that doesn't scream at you - discrete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Date window at 4:30 is subdued thanks to the matching black background. Note the beveled frame of the window

[​IMG]

Taking a step back from dial details - the overall appearance of the dial is nothing short of astonishing and often shows a range of shades/hues and tones with the slightest motion of the wrist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turn the watch over and it gets even better if you can believe it. The star of the watch is the Calibre 1315. From the Blancpain website:
    "The goal in particular was to endow the watch with an optimal autonomy, while ensuring constant energy at all times. The new Calibre 1315 does indeed have an exceptional power reserve of 5 days. 120 hours. It uses a glucydur free sprung balance."

35 jewels & 227 components and all finished with what you’d expect from a High Horology Manufacture

[​IMG]

3 mainspring barrels coupled in series ensure even release of torque

[​IMG]

Grained texture to the blackened 18ct gold rotor. It is a heavy winding mass that ensures efficient and effective winding on the wrist

[​IMG]

Amagnetic due to the silicon hairspring – open case back and still 300m / 1000 Ft

[​IMG]

Edges of the bridges are polished – slots are camfered - even the jewel sinks are polished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turning her back around - Exceptional lume – doesn’t take much effort to charge and is long lasting

[​IMG]

And Finally, I coulnd't stop without at least mentioning the High End heavy duty hardware on what quite possibly could be pinnacle of NATO’s and very nive sailcloth with a thin backing - both are very comfortable and feature Beautifully finished and faceted pin buckle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2017

Great shots once again, does this still count as part of the Fifty Fathoms line or is it a separate watch in its own right?

Rockmastermike likes this.
  3. Rockmastermike May 31, 2017

Thanks and yes, this is part of the Fifty Fathoms family :thumbsup:

Readiness77 likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 31, 2017

Interesting that swatch group is letting other brands under its umbrella use the term "Liquid Metal"

Nice looking watch, and great write up. More then a few if not most dive watches in this price range have white gold hands and markers. Planet Oceans, Submariners...

5. cristos71 May 31, 2017

At first I didn't really like it, but after your write up and excellent pictures I'm sold! :)

watchknut, Foo2rama, pascs and 2 others like this.
  6. Rockmastermike May 31, 2017

Thanks and I may not have written it clearly, but the hands/markers are white gold - the numbers in the bezel are liquid metal, my apologies

drhex likes this.
  7. Rockmastermike May 31, 2017

Thank you I appreciate it
    If nothing else we are a community of Enablers!

8. Interstatetime May 31, 2017

Love these watches. Elegant is how I would describe them.

JohnCote

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass May 31, 2017

Damn...killer photos and write up. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

duc and Rockmastermike like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 31, 2017

Great review and photo,s
    like the lume shot.

11. Rockmastermike Jun 1, 2017

Thanks, guys!

12. SeanO Jun 2, 2017

great write up. the watch is a looker for sure.

I found it to be too big for my wrist but the 38mm made me go all weak at the knees. luckily it's way out of my budget or I'd be pimping myself in Highgate.

13. brockburst Jul 7, 2017

I love that strap

duc likes this.
  14. Scepticalist Jul 9, 2017

15. jaguar11 Jul 9, 2017

Lovely piece I must say. Hope you are still enjoying!!!!!

16. jsg1976 Jul 13, 2017

Great pictures!

17. herold Jul 13, 2017

Great pics and a fabulous watch.

18. sjg22 Jul 16, 2017

Love the macro shots. Nice watch

19. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Aug 3, 2017

like the dressy diver..

20. treiz1337 Oct 5, 2017

I actually like this as my diver for future collection. Love the ceramic. I also like the Fifty Fathom too.

Cadillac likes this.