Forums Latest Members

Review: The 2018 Omega Seamaster 300m - Rubber Strap Review

1. Undefeatable Sep 16, 2019

Hello all,

This is my review of the Rubber Strap that comes on the new 2018 Seamaster 300m. When I was researching this watch, I knew I wanted it on the rubber strap if I did end up purchasing one. I don't mind the look of the new bracelet, but I prefer the look of the watch on the rubber, and I also wanted to try out a rubber strap as I have never had a dive watch with a rubber strap. The reason for the review is just fill the void I seemed to have run into when trying to get more info on just the rubber strap. Anyway here it is.

[​IMG]

-Looks-
    Design: The reason I liked the rubber strap over the bracelet is the simplicity of the strap. I am not the biggest fan of the Bond style bracelet, and have admired AP's Offshores with rubber straps because of the simplicity of the band. I love the 2 "tone" finish. The brushed vertical lines break up the satin base of the strap nicely. Without them, the band would be way too bland (looking at your previous Planet Ocean rubber strap).

Color: I am typically a black dial/stainless bracelet type of guy. I only own 1 expensive watch (this one) at a time. I have had the lucky opportunity through selling and trading around to experience many brands and models from Rolex, Omega, Panerai, IWC, etc... I am not trying to brag, remember, I only own one of these at a time, I don't have a collection of watches. Having said that, I need a watch I can wear literally daily, 7 days a week. I allow myself one nice watch, and I want something I can wear with anything. Something about this hue of blue in both the watch and the strap make it extremely versatile for my lifestyle 99% of the time.

-Details-
    Clasp:
    [​IMG]
    Simply put, it's the best clasp I have ever used. It's very robust and they did not skimp on the machining. I can see why these are backordered as they don't feel like an item that can be rushed. The profiles resembles the lugs of the watch head in a tasteful way. It makes it feel like it belongs to the watch in an integral type of way.
    [​IMG]

It also lays with the bracelet extremely comfortable and pretty flat for how beefy the clasp is. It just looks, works, and feels great.

Integration:
    [​IMG]

The bracelet fits the case wonderfully. No gaps, tight fit, and no movement anywhere near the lug area.

[​IMG]

Strap Keeper System:
    [​IMG]

The floating keeper has this little peg that sticks out. This little gem is to keep the floating keeper from...floating...and locks it into the strap tail. It plugs in right where the triangle hole is as seen here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This makes the band damn near perfect. This is one detail that I will miss on future straps that I own. Keeps the perfect length of tail out of the end.

I should also note, the fixed keeper branded OMEGA is 100% stiff. If I am correct, the keeper is titanium and integrated into the strap, so it does not flex at all. Feels extremely sturdy.

Comfort
    Underside "Scallops":
    [​IMG]

I thought it was marketing bs to have these types of "vents" on rubber straps, mainly because I have never owned a decent one before. These do work though, I will vouch for them. On a hot day, my wrist with my watch is one of the first things that seems to sweat. Using bracelets, even with the Glidelock Clasp, my watch would always slide up and down on my wrist. I have a small 6.5" wrist, so the weight of most watches + steel bracelet = slip city. This rubber keeps the watch in place the best out of any strap/bracelet/nato I have ever had.

Fit:

Like I said before, I have a 6.5" wrist, so usually 42mm watches look large on me. My only other one is my SKX. The rubber strap has the perfect amount of "give" and structure to secure it on my wrist in generally the same position, no matter what. Here is a picture how a watch usually will droop on my wrist when I have it horizontal:
    [​IMG]

Now look at the Seamaster in the same position, the watch head doesn't droop:
    [​IMG]

A note about the fit. I am on the 2nd to last hole.
    The strap flares down rather aggressively once it leaves the case. As you can see in this picture, on my small wrist there really is no overhang:
    [​IMG]

Here is what it looks like from the underside of my wrist:
    [​IMG]

And here it is from the topside. My favorite part of this is that with a small wrist, usually I have to order small straps or have a massive tail overhang. This watch lines up as perfect as I could ask in regards to the tail length, it just barely peeks out when looking at it directly:
    [​IMG]

Testing
    I received my Seamaster the morning I was leaving for my first international trip. Coming from the US and going to London, Sweden, and Copenhagen for a 2 week trip with my best friend (since kindergarten!) and roommate. During my trip I experienced a nice little heat wave as well as some rain. The watch and strap performed extremely well and I never felt uncomfortable wearing the watch. For some reason, if I am not sleeping at my own house, I will sleep with my watch on, so this watch did just fine in sleep mode too.

I have also taken it on a smaller vacation during labor day to Lake Tahoe, so it has been with me everywhere I have gone since receiving it. I definitely have a bond (pun intended) with this watch now, it was oddly a comfort item for me when I was out on my travels for the first time, and survived the most drunken nights in a row in my life, thats gotta count for something right?

That's it folks. I just wanted to give the strap some love and hopefully help those out who are curious or on the fence.

If you have any questions, ask away!

Edited Sep 16, 2019
    Hocksman, McKnife, swdivad and 28 others like this.
  2. avidmark Sep 16, 2019

Solid review. Thanks for sharing

3. AntonisCy Sep 17, 2019

Great read, thanks!

4. Barchettaman Sep 17, 2019

Cracking review. Thanks!

5. Stufflers Mom Sep 17, 2019

It's a great strap for sure, but the standard size is a little on the small side for me.

6. mjb Sep 17, 2019

Very nice, good write-up and pics, thanks! I bought my SM with the bracelet, figuring that I could buy the strap later for less money than doing it the other way around. I'd probably go with the short size since I don't like all of that overhang. I just haven't been to the mall where my OB is to price and order it (I'm assuming it's around $250?) yet.

7. zoohannover Sep 17, 2019

Thanks for sharing. Very nice write-up.
    Could you please post the reference number of the bracelet and the buckle?
    Would be great!

8. Undefeatable Sep 17, 2019

Sure!
    Buckle: STZ010129
    Strap: CVZ010127

Starman71 and zoohannover like this.
  9. Undefeatable Sep 17, 2019

I was going to go this route as well as it does probably make the most sense. The main reason I went strap version was buying the watch used for a good price. I can't say with confidence the total price for strap and buckle since I didnt purchase them separately. When you do get the chance to order one and you receive it, you will not be disappointed though.

10. Kingkongsfinger Sep 17, 2019

Great review, I have the same strap and its perfect.

11. rominvicta Sep 17, 2019

omega should have made it in a couple of sizes. In spite of what you claim I believe tail overhanging is way too much. My wrist is the same size and tried it as well. Liked the strap a lot with the exception of overhanging.

12. Wetworks Sep 18, 2019

I'm pretty sure they did. Contact your OB, not the AD, and ask.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2019

032CVZ010127 is the standard length, so 114 and 76.

032CVZ010484 is the short, so 104 and 66.

032CVZ010485 is the long, so 134 and 96.

Cheers, Al

McKnife, UCZ_15, BenBagbag and 7 others like this.
  14. rominvicta Sep 18, 2019

Many thanks Archer! As helpful as you are, please let me just know which of these three is the standard one each watch is delivered with? BTW the one I tried with rubber strap is
    210.92.44.20.01.001 - SEAMASTER DIVER 300M OMEGA CO‑AXIAL MASTER CHRONOMETER 43.5 MM.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2019

The standard length is...the standard...

16. rominvicta Sep 18, 2019

Thanks Archer! Already sleeping! :whipped:

17. scapa Sep 19, 2019

Thanks for the review, OP, and for the additional info through the thread regarding part numbers, etc. I ordered mine months ago and still not in, so have tried 2 aftermarkets that I already had in-house. My sense after doing so is that the OEM is comfortably the best option that I've tried. So the wait goes on.

18. Bizcut1 Sep 20, 2019

What's the latest word on when the rubber straps will be in?

Thx

19. bfav Feb 16, 2020

has anyone ever tried these 42mm straps on the 41mm ceramic model?

20. RARJ Feb 16, 2020

The "tail" in the strap loop is such a simple and fantastic fix!

I'm curious as to whether this strap might be able to fit older seamaster cases? Specifically I'd love to add a new rubber strap to my 2594.50 "America's Cup" chronograph.

Anyone had any luck yet fixing these straps to oldie's but goodies?