Forums Latest Members

Review - Seiko "Cocktail Time" SRPB77

1. aesguerra Jul 16, 2018

IMG_8610c.JPEG
    It was about four months ago when I realized I had a problem. I had one of those RARE occasions (seriously... like once or twice a year haha) where I was required to wear a suit, and it struck me that my ENTIRE watch collection was "toolish" Don't get me wrong, not many (if any) people would consider a FOIS out of place in a venue requiring a tie, but I felt it was time to get a timepiece was a touch more formal.

Plus, when is expanding one's watch collection ever a bad thing? :p

Seiko's Cocktail Time collection has always seemed to be highly regarded, so I elected to make their Model SRPB77 my solution to my fashion woes. And I'm pretty glad I did.

A Brief History
    Before anything else, perhaps a little background in the Cocktail Time line is required. Issued in 2010, it was a line that was a partnership between Seiko and Shinobu Ishigaki of the Ishinohana Bar. Three watches, inspired by his famed cocktails (get it? ha), made it into the world, and became pretty popular with their "Dry", "Sweet", and "Cool" heavily sunburst-pattern dials. In 2016, Seiko reissued them...

... and that brings us to March, and the SRPB77. It was a watch that definitely caught my eye, so I picked it up for a cool $280. Normal MSRP is currently $450.

The Case
    IMG_8609.JPEG

At 40.5mm , the stainless steel case on the "77" is one of those cases that falls right in my sweet spot range of 39mm thru 41mm, and it would be hard pressed to "not fit" on any wrist. It's completely polished, with not matte finish anywhere except for any engraving. It is 11.8mm thick, and it definitely feels like it. This is by far the thinnest watch I've ever owned, and the box crystal further makes it feel thinner. Point is it wears thin, and it sliding under a cuff has never been an issue... for all of the two times I wore this watch with long sleeved shirts. :p :D

IMG_8619.JPEG

And speaking of that box crystal, it's a doozy. Made of Seiko's proprietary Hardlex, the domed shape of the crystal gives it an almost Hesalite quality in terms of appearance. All in all, it lends a somewhat vintage flair to the set up, and it is a second place to what I love the most about this watch.

IMG_8611.JPEG

By far coming in first place is the most signature feature of the Cocktail Time - its sunburst dial. It's truly eye catching, radiating light in a way that I've never seen any other dial in this price range can. I opted for the silver dial, and I swear that if I ever was to get marooned on a deserted island with my Cocktail Time, I could use that dial to signal a passing ship! haha! That was why I went with the "77" - the beveled blued hour and minute hands contrast very well with the dial, so legibility is rarely an issue (the lone exception is when the dial catches the sun; seriously, it's blinding at times haha).

Seriously, this dial is spectacular, and it exudes quality in every way that counts. Complimenting it are applied hour markers that are faceted, lending further touches of class to a timepiece that is already swimming in plenty of it. The Seiko logo is also applied, and it's sparkle is a touch lost only because of the silver dial of mine. I have no doubt that on the blue and brown dial variants that these applied elements fairly leap out.

Between the sunburst dial, hands, and case, the "77" (and just about any other Cocktail Time watch) is definitely an attention magnet. It's ironic that the least expensive piece in my collection happens to garner the most gazes and compliments. From those who barely know what a watch is to those who are more horological-inclined, the Cocktail Time is a watch that draws interest.

IMG_8615.JPEG

And that brings me to the funnest part of this section. FOR ME, the Cocktail Time is a little TOO nice, so much so that I'm not sure I'll be keeping her. Granted, I'm a 99% t-shit and jeans kind of guy, and while I do want a watch that could pass off a little fancier than my FOIS, the Cocktail Time pushes WAY past that boundary. For now, she has mostly spent time in my watch box, held in reserve where I need to gussy up. For me, she isn't remotely close to being a daily wearer, but that's strictly FOR ME! For anyone else that likes wearing slacks/polo shirts or better, she certainly could fit that role.

The Movement

IMG_8616.JPEG

The heart of the "77", like all the 2016 lineup (minus those with a power reserve display function) is the 4R35. An automatic movement, it keeps the watch humming along by through the wearer's movement. Just about any motion on the wrist spins the movement's rotor, which in turn winds the main spring of the movement. For a guy who owns three manual wind watches, it's a refreshing mechanical time piece alternative.

I have't worn this watch enough to be comfortable giving a hard-accuracy figure. Through three times of wearing this watch for a couple of days each at most, it seemed to run approx 5-7s fast. Perhaps that figure would come down with more regular use; that's the numbers I saw.

A big bonus is the display caseback. Given that the Cocktail Time line's MSRP is one tenth the price of Aqua Terra 150m Automatic, it's a huge thumbs up factor that Seiko chose to give the owner visual access to the movement. Granted, the 4R35 isn't exact the eye candy gem like the Omega 8500, but I hadn't shelled out ten times the money either. It's a pleasant enough engine to look at, especially when Seiko went the extra mile to mount a gold tone rotor.

The Bracelet

IMG_8613.JPEG

The polished and brushed stainless steel bracelet of the "77" is representative of you-get-what-you-pay-for. On the positive side, it's a handsome bracelet, complimenting the case very well. It tapers slightly as it moves away from the end links, and the butterfly clasp allows it come together at the end in flushed-fashion that works for the more dressy-mission of the watch. In a nutshell, it remains securely fashioned once snapped closed, and it looks good.

If anything, the complaints I might have are nitpicking considering the "77's" price point. There's definitely more flex and stretch than I see in my Omega 1125, (for example, a little more attention from me is required to ensure the pins are lined up with the clasp before I push to drive em home). Otherwise, it has always remained securely closed, and most importantly, it looks good.

In Closing

For anyone with a bit more class than me (and pretty much means ANYONE :p :p :p), I would HIGHLY recommend the Seiko Cocktail Time SRPB77; heck, I'd recommend just about any of the watches in that line up. They carry on Seiko's tried and true strategy of a quality timepiece that you can be more than happy with at an attractive price that will leave your wallet positively grinning.

Edited Jul 16, 2018
  2. Lovewatches2 Jul 18, 2018

You let me show my SARYO85 Presage "starlight" LE. Can't say more about it except "awesome watch" for the bucks!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

red crowned, aesguerra and bigsom like this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Jul 18, 2018

great review! had my eye on one and always wanted to read a review

aesguerra and bigsom like this.