Forums Latest Members

Review: Comparing OMEGA NATO Strap vs PhenomeNATO Strap (Spectre)

1. Alex1974 Jun 18, 2017

After having the opportunity to wear both NATO Straps I wanted to share my experiences:
    I had the Phenomenato Strap (thinner and shorter version) for about 3 Weeks on my Omega Seamaster 300.
    Last week I recieved the Original OMEGA Bond Nato Strap to compare:

IMG_4332.JPG

PhenomeNATO left and Original OMEGA NATO right, both in 20mm

One difference between the straps is the distances of the keepers. The overall lenght makes no difference to me regarding look or compfort.
    The better proportions are given with the Omega strap (at least on my 7 inch wrist) which keeps the buckle exactly opposite of the watch. Aditionally the Keeper with the OMGEA Logo sits half way between the Watch and the buckle which gives a perfect symmetry when viewed fom the side.
    Due to the even surface and the polish of the Keeper, the OMEGA Logo blings out from almost any angle which gives a fantasic look!

Original OMEGA NATO strap:
    IMG_4304.jpg IMG_4301.jpg
    IMG_4343.JPG

PhenomeNATO Strap:
    FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4324.JPG

The Omega Strap is stiffer then the Phenomenato and it also feels a fraction of a milimeter thicker. The Phenomenato Strap feels softer and smoother. The surface around the Pinholes of the Omega strap feel rough and scratchy and overall not as well made than the Phenomenato ones. And after not even one week of use there is already a small thread comming out a bit....

OMEGA Strap (after 1 week of use) on the left, PhenomeNATO (after 3 weeks of use) on the right:
    IMG_4330.JPG

As already discussed here in the Forum I have the Same Problem with the OMEGA Keeper than some others have too: It pokes into my wrist and makes it very uncompfortable to wear! This is for me when worn on the 5th hole which would give a perfect fit. On the 6th hole its a bit better but still by far not as copfortable than the PhneomeNATO Strap, and on the 7th hole it would be ok, but then the watch rotates around my wrist (also seen on the second and third Picture).

IMG_4306.JPG

Aditionally I noticed another thing on the OMEGA NATO: where the Gap for the Pin of the buckle is cut out of the Strap material, a few threads are sharply poking out which is irritating on the Wrist while wearing. Considering the price better detail Work would be apreciated:
    FullSizeRender3.jpg

In short both Straps PRO and CONS:

PhenomenNATO Strap PROs:
    • fantstic Strap material: strong but still smooth, soft and very compfortable to wear. By now the softest NATO I had.

• Extremely good workmanship (sorry to say, but better than OMEGA, at least in my example of the strap)

• very reasonable price for the Quality given

• good hardwear for the price
    PhenomenNATO Strap CONs:
    • Buckle is not placed opposite the watch

• would apreciate a removable buckle
    OMEGA Spectre NATO PROs:

superior overall look with the high quality hardwear. To me the highlight is the OMEGA Logo on the Keeper...
    • Buckle is placed exactly opposite the watch

• Removable Buckle
    OMEGA Spectre NATO CONs:
    • Metal of the Keeper at 6 o'clock pushes into the Skin and wears uncopfortable

• superior price given the Quality of my example

• (The Material of the Strap is more stiff, but this is also a matter of taste and I need to wear it longer to see if it softens more...)
    Also if the Omega Strap is the perfect aesthetical round up to my watch I will have to wear it more and see if it gets more copfortable / if I can get used to it.

Otherwise considering the price, the Quality and the compfyness you get, the PhenomeNATO is the best buy for me!

Would be great if Omega would re-design the Keeper and cover it with the Strap like every other NATO. The backside Inscription with the Item Number could also be placed on the inside of the sliding keeper.... and an OMEGA Logo on the opposite side keeper at 12 o'clock to maintain symmetry...

Edited Jun 19, 2017
    vitriol, ras47, Jwit and 6 others like this.
  2. Morrisdog Jun 18, 2017

Great review!! I think I will order one of the phenomestraps. I want a nice quality admiralty grey. It's crazy how this is not offered in omegas range.

You can always cut off the keeper from the omega strap. That's what I eventually did on mine . Much more comfortable and the watch does not sit as high.

Edited Jun 18, 2017
  3. Alex1974 Jun 18, 2017

@morrisgog: yes, but then the fantastic look with the Omega Logo (second picture) would be gone too.
    And then I would definetly go with the much cheaper and more compfortable PhenomeNato one....

4. Morrisdog Jun 18, 2017

Yep.. it's a loss but comfort wise the omega is much better to me than my crown and buckle natos . I sort of stopped wearing my omega bond nato before I did the snip and now it's back in the game. Comfort will always trump looks for me.
    The other comfy option i have are single pass through leather natos.

5. Kmart Jun 18, 2017

Nice review. Was not aware of PhenomeNATO before this post but I love the look of them. The squared off hardware looks so much nicer than the rounded keepers / buckles on most $10 NATOs you see!

6. nima0071 Jun 19, 2017

phonom nato are great for the price and the quality is up there close to omega ones. also another great company is JR. here is my snoopy one the blue nato from them that I Paid $140 and I think I paid for the omega ones $220 IMG_2518.JPG

cleatussno, DocHolliday and Kmart like this.
  7. Kmart Jun 19, 2017

JR = Jean Rousseau? I've heard great things about their bespoke straps but to me their coated NATO just seems to be way too thick.

8. Alex1974 Jun 19, 2017

@Kmart :
    Be aware that there are 2 PhenomeNato straps available:
    The regular one (which I reviewed) And the thicker HD version. For me the regular one fits perfect ;)

9. Alex1974 Jun 19, 2017

@nima0071 :
    I find the Quality of the PhenomeNato Strap even better than the original Omega (long term durability is still to be tested). But the Omega hardwear has a better look and Quality...

Edited Jun 19, 2017
    Prof_James and WiZARD like this.
  10. tonizzos Feb 9, 2018

the snoopy on the nato strap is fantastic !!!