Forums Latest Members

Review: 21mm Velcro Strap for Co-Axial Speedmaster

1. ras47 Aug 20, 2018

Got these from CheapNatoStraps.com, for about $16 each (shipped). One in olive green, the other in light brown. There is good and bad factors for this strap with the bad outweighing the good.

Overall Rating: Meh.

I've wanted a velcro strap for my Speedmaster for a long time. I'm something of a NASA/Space Program geek and I've become quite the Speedmaster fanboy. Unfortunately, the lug width on the 44.25mm Speedys are 21mm, just a single millimeter wider than the standard 20mm of most other Speedmasters. You absolutely can use a 20mm strap on the larger co-axial models but there will be a 1mm gap between the lugs and strap or bracelet. Some people can tolerate this, but it drives me mad.

Positive factors:
    1. Inexpensive. Always a good thing.
    2. Comfortable. Very much so.
    3. Adjustable. No adjusting increments due to hole placement. Easy to get the fit exactly right for you.

Negative factors:
    1. Fit is poor. While the strap is supposed to be 21mm, pictures below will show that the velcro is actually 20mm and only the suede trim is 21mm. That's just stupid. It's not a 21mm strap at all. It's a 20mm strap with slightly wider suede pieces. Very frustrating.
    2. Workmanship is questionable. I cannot yet deem the quality poor as I've only been wearing one of these straps for two days. Time will tell, but on day one a thread pulled and began to unravel. I quickly zapped it with a lighter to melt it and stop the unraveling. Holding for now, but we shall see.

The original NASA velcro straps were long enough to wrap around the outside of the arm of a space suit. These straps I bought are only 10 3/4" from suede tip to the end of the metal loop on the opposite end. So it's not a replica of the official NASA/Omega straps. More of a NASA-style velcro strap. That can be both a positive and a negative. The co-axial Speedmasters are called "Moonwatch" by Omega, but they're many generations removed from the models that actually went into space. Clearly I'm not going to be wearing a space suit any time soon, so having the extra long velcro strap would be more of a pain than a positive. This length of almost 11" is great for wrist sizes beyond 8". While it's not "canon" with the originals, it's more practical for us present-day non-astronauts. This issue is a tossup, but I consider it more of a positive than a negative.

Overall look. Suede too wide for the 20mm velcro part of the strap. If the velcro was actually 21mm the suede trim would be perfect.
    Velcro - 1-3.jpg Velcro - 1.jpg

There you see it: 20mm wide velcro.
    Velcro - 4.jpg

21mm wide suede trim.
    Velcro - 5.jpg

26mm overall strap length when installed. Great for any size wrist, even over 8".
    Velcro - 6.jpg
    Velcro - 7.jpg

Here you can see the 1mm gap between the lugs. I know the strap is pretty inexpensive, but that's no excuse for what amounts to false advertising, or at the very least, poor manufacturing controls. And lets not discount the possibility of just plain apathy.
    Velcro - 8.jpg Velcro - 9.jpg

Upper left corner of the stitching is where the thread pulled. Cigarette lighter to the rescue, for now. This is a critical spot in the stitching, holding the loop ring in place.I keep thinking, "What do you expect for $16," but then I'd gladly pay more for better quality. Fix all these issues and I'd call $32 a bargain.
    Velcro - 10.jpg

On the plus side, the suede is nice and soft, making this an extremely comfortable strap.
    Velcro -1- 2.jpg

Edited Aug 20, 2018
  2. ras47 Aug 20, 2018

Just so everyone knows I didn't mis-order and ask for the 20mm strap instead of 21mm, here's a screen grab of the email order confirmation from CheapNatoStraps:

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 12.41.39 PM.png

3. ext1 Aug 20, 2018

Thank you for taking your time to do this review. This will be really valuable if I ever want to get 21mm velcro straps in the future.
    Though, at that price in my case I think the shipping will be more expensive than the strap itself! I hope there was a better strap maker at a higher quality at an albeit increased price.

ras47 likes this.
  4. vbrad26 Aug 20, 2018

I actually had one of these in my "cart" the other day and then never ordered.
    I had bought a few NATO's from them so I'm on their email list and they were having a sale on some straps.
    However I ended up not buying any of the straps I had placed in my cart.
    I don't have any complaints about their NATO's. I do have one leather NATO from them and the quality could definitely be better but I'm happy because it was only like, $15 and it matches a pair of shoes perfectly hah.
    The rest of the NATO's are just your typical NATO and I don't have any issues with them. I believe a have a leather/suede 2 pc. regular strap that is decent.
    Overall, you get what you pay for. But considering what I paid I guess you can say I'm happy with everything I've got from them.

ras47 likes this.
  5. vbrad26 Aug 20, 2018

Not sure where you are located, but if you spend over $25 USD they will ship your order for free.
    And if you are looking for a nice NASA style strap search Google for "kizzi strap"

ras47 and ext1 like this.
  6. ras47 Aug 20, 2018

Thanks. I'll check them out immediately.

vbrad26 likes this.
  7. ras47 Aug 20, 2018

My problem with the high quality NATO straps is how stiff they are. They already stick out at the lug pins more than I like, but the thick ones really bulge. I like something more sleek.

vbrad26 likes this.
  8. ras47 Aug 20, 2018

I'm always on the lookout, but it's tough finding true 21mm straps for my co-axial Speedy. The regular Speedmasters take 20mm wide straps and there are a gazillion choices. Far more limited choices for 21mm though.