Forums Latest Members

Revealed - Lost and Found - Vintage Watch

1. jimik42 Feb 17, 2016

I searched the site but was unable to find a Lost and Found section so I thought I may just post here.
    (If this should go somewhere REALLY obvious but I missed it, please let me know)

My Mother-in-Law (all jokes aside) found a vintage Omega watch at a tram stop outside MSAC in Melbourne Australia.

The caseback was only hand-tight so I loosened it an took note of the movement serial number before handing it in to the South Melbourne Police Station.
    Feel free to contact me if you think this may be yours otherwise I don't think I should divulge too much more information about it.

Thank you

rhj, Mad Dog, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 17, 2016

It's very kind of you to try to find the original owner - though I doubt this will have a happy ending...

Matty01 and jimik42 like this.
  3. West Slope Feb 17, 2016

Damn Aussies.....I lost my wallet years ago in Sydney and after taking the train back to my aunt's place she suggested calling the police, to which I laughed.....sure enough it had been turned in and I got it back with all the contents.

Nice of you to try and find the owner!

Matty01 and jimik42 like this.
  4. jimik42 Feb 17, 2016

It depends on what you mean by 'happy ending'.

My girlfriend fell in love with it.
    If the original owner doesn't claim it in 100 days, it will then be hers.

5. M.D. Feb 17, 2016

Wait a minute. Your mother in law found it, but your girlfriend wants it. What does your wife think about all this?

cicindela, ViaAppia, gemini4 and 16 others like this.
  6. jimik42 Feb 17, 2016

Well......I've been with my girlfriend now for 17 years.
    So I guess I can refer to her mum as a mother-in-law.

A bit prosaic......but............

7. marturx Feb 17, 2016

uh.oh. It will be trouble, for sure :D

noelekal likes this.
  8. M.D. Feb 17, 2016

All kidding aside, it's a nice gesture to try to find the owner.

I was in Australia years ago and they were the nicest people I think I've ever met.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 17, 2016

Mother-in-facto!

Syrte, noelekal, ahartfie and 7 others like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 17, 2016

Well she doesn't have a ring after 17 years you can't help her for wanting a nice watch. :whistling:

:D:D

Taddyangle, gemini4, chronos and 12 others like this.
  11. justbrian55 Feb 17, 2016

Long shot ~ I pasted on to the only one I know who lives in Melbs. Asking if she knows anyone who lost a vintage watch.

jimik42 likes this.
  12. jimik42 Feb 17, 2016

Thank you

justbrian55 likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 17, 2016

I think it might be mine, I live in Melbourne and I caught a tram once.

Er, what's MASC?

:D

<Seriously, thanks for making the effort, many others would not have done so> :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mad Dog and jimik42 like this.
  14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 17, 2016

Ive never been to Australia, but I lost an Omega once and drink heavily, so it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up in Melbourne.
    Tell me what it looks like and the serial and I'll confirm if its mine.;)

ChrisN, Syrte and jimik42 like this.
  15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 17, 2016

Melbourne Sports and aquatic centre, in Albert Park.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 18, 2016

I have a story about lost and found in Australia...to this day it still amazes me how fortunate I am to have this item back...

While on one of our vacations in Australia back in 2010, I filled an 8GB card on my DSLR, so swapped another card into the camera, and then promptly lost the full one in Sydney somewhere. Actually it was days later when I realized it was gone and after we had left Sydney, so we weren't even sure it was lost there, but that's where I had changed the card anyway. I had great pics and videos of our travels, and of my wife's family from all over Australia. Very bummed out to say the least.

We had stayed with some friends in Sydney on that trip, and while that card was still in the camera I was out for a walk one morning and just sort of randomly snapped a quick photo of their house, with one of their cars in the drive. After the trip was over and we had returned to Canada, someone found the missing card (have no idea where exactly, but it was in Sydney somewhere), and turned it into the police. The police looked at the photos, found the photo I had taken of the house, and looked up the plate on the car to find out who owned the car. They called our friends (who knew we had lost the card), and the card was picked up from the police station, and a short time later was shipped back to me here in Canada.

So I can personally say that Australians have gone out of their way to return personal property, at least in my case! I wish I knew who found it and turned it in, but they hadn't left their name at the police station...

Cheers, Al

Buckeyes#1, TNTwatch, Dre and 7 others like this.
  17. lillatroll Feb 18, 2016

Given that Australia was a penal colony for ruffians and other undiserables it surprises me that the natives have not resorted to mob rule or that they just dont go around stealing everything and beating everyone in sight up. A girl who lived a few streets away from my childhood home moved to Australia many moons ago, she did ok for herself though so they can t all be bad. She was Prime Minister for a few years.

18. terryb111 Feb 18, 2016

Some nice stories there, and some lucky people. Well done the Aussies.

Syrte likes this.
  19. proximal Feb 18, 2016

The first picture on all of my SD cards is a slip of paper with my name, email, and phone number on it. Hopefully, that makes returning my card/camera so easy that the person would feel bad about not doing it.

Fritz, lando, Syrte and 4 others like this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 18, 2016

Great idea - will do that on my next vacation for sure.