Forums Latest Members

Reuniting a Watch With Survivors of Original Owner

1. trackpad Nov 20, 2017

I know there are a few initiatives to connect original papers with watches based, and that always struck me as pretty cool.

Sometimes when I see a personal engraving I'll spend a few minutes trying to see if I can trace it back to a person, living or otherwise – and if otherwise, I'll Google a bit to see if it's possible to connect with any family members, and just give them a head's up that it's out there. I'll typically sink 10 to 15 minutes into this exactly when I should be working on something else.

It's never amounted to anything...and I'm also quite sure a "Hey, Did you know your grandfather's watch is for sale on eBay?" email would probably also raise an eyebrow, if it was even opened. Or maybe even a "Yep, it's my damn auction!"

So I saw this tonight and gave it a few minutes. Nada.

Screenshot 2017-11-20 22.04.23.png
    (eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

I've seen a few of these DJ's from IBM over the years (true to form, as good engineers they preferred the 1603). I have a friend high in IBM and thought about asking him to ask HR, but decided they probably wouldn't be allowed to release anything.

I know the odds are also low that a watch from someone's dad or grandfather is out on the market without their knowledge or consent, but well... Houses get robbed. Estate agents can be dishonest. Oh, ...and step-moms – just a few of the possible reasons why a son or grandson might have missed their chance at what might otherwise have become a family heirloom.

Anyway. If you see a worthwhile watch with an engraving that can provide a good lead, post it here. I've got plenty of things to procrastinate over. Also, someone else is quite likely better at this than I am.

Just thinking if a few minutes of work could connect one family to a watch that was important to them, and they ended up able to recover it and pass on, it would be 10x worth all the trouble.

63TR4, MaiLollo and McKinley like this.