Forums Latest Members
  1. Starman71 Apr 5, 2018

My father in law is retiring and we are considering a watch as a gift I was wondering if you folks could offer suggestions. I’m posting in “Other Watch Brands” because I’m already familiar with the Omega lineup.

We are already considering a Tudor, but it’s an expensive gift he may toss in the corner without understanding what it is. So the first criteria is under $3K USD. Otherwise we’d get the Tudor.

He is a math professor. He rides horses. His most dressed up is a sports coat. He is liable to wear it in abusive activities like loading horse trailers, out in the rain, on long drives and long rides.

As to style, my wife is partial to leather straps and liked the Tudor BB in bronze.

Any ideas?

2. mayankyadav Apr 5, 2018

Starman71 likes this.
  3. 77deluxe Apr 5, 2018

Is he wearing a watch currently, and if so, what? I’m thinking this could give you a starting point as to what he likes.

4. Starman71 Apr 5, 2018

I haven’t seen it, but my wife says it is a watch with hands, black band, light dial. Sorry that’s not much to go on but she can’t describe it further :( She asked about it and he shrugged saying it was nothing.

5. 77deluxe Apr 5, 2018

Perfect. You’re good to get him whatever you want.

Starman71 likes this.
  6. time flies Apr 6, 2018

Custom made riding boots.

Have fun
    kfw

Kmart and MaiLollo like this.
  7. Starman71 Apr 6, 2018

Thinking Christopher Ward Trident GMT

8. rcs914 Apr 6, 2018

Starman71 likes this.
  9. TropicConnie Apr 22, 2018

He doesn't sound like a watch guy in the slightest. If he was, he likely would have gone into a at least little more detail when your wife asked about his current watch. Sounds like he doesn't care if his watch came out of a cereal box or McDonalds Happy Meal, if it tells the time. 3K is a lot to spend on something which may become a paperweight. If it were my decision, I'd be looking at a nice pair of custom riding boots. That kind of money buys a fully bespoke pair of R.M. Williams wholecut Chelsea boots that he's sure to see more use out of.

Edited Apr 23, 2018