Forums Latest Members
  1. KJJ Nov 20, 2017

Hello from Downunder

I suspect the watch is circa 1951 from the research done so far and some family history. It was my father's watch purchased new in Sydney, Australia. It's just been serviced and seems to operate fine. I have included one pre-service photo and 7 post service photos in artificial and natural light. Possible water staining is quite evident and maybe corrosion on the three hands. I'm also concerned the crown has been changed (during service).

Before I continue with further restoration I would sincerely appreciate some advice on the best way forward and your opinion on its period of manufacture.

I intend to give this watch to my grandson in memory of his great-grandad along with a photo of my father wearing the watch in his office in Sydney 60 years ago.

Best regards

KJJ

OMpreserv 1.JPG OM1.jpg OM2.jpg OM3.jpg OM4.jpg OM5.jpg OM7.jpg
    dall-houston likes this.
  2. SeanO Nov 20, 2017

lose the stretch bracelet for a leather strap. they're responsible for most of the damage done to vintage watch cases (other than amateur attempts at opening cases with various tools).

find a good watch guy to sympathetically clean the hands.

other than that, regular maintenance from a trusted service guy.

and please wear it as frequently as you like because it's often the case that these sorts of memento watches end up living at the bottom of the drawer because it seems wrong to wear them other than for very specific reasons.

Larry S likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 20, 2017

Aside from sourcing a proper crown and a nice leather strap there really isn't anything you need to do, as any attempt to "restore" the watch will only devalue it and wipe away its history. Absolutely do not touch the dial.

You've already done the most important thing by servicing the movement.

Jones in LA likes this.
  4. KJJ Nov 21, 2017

Some further research indicates it may be a 1949-1950 First Omega Seamaster Automatic

Thank you so much for your replies. Definitely wil re-equip with a leather band. I appreciate the concern about attempting a dial repair. But if it looks damaged my young grandson my not want to wear it. I may have no choice but to make an attempt with the best person I can find. I really do appreciate any further advice on this point. Or any reommendations for a repairer in Sydney, Australia or Seoul, Korea.....Cheers

KJJ

5. dx009 Nov 21, 2017

If you ask me the only thing that it needs is a service (nevermind, just read that it had been serviced) and if the crown is not original I'd try and replace it with one that is correct for this model (it also seems that it's a little bent).
    I'd get the crystal polished just a little bit in case it's the original one and that's pretty much it. I personally like the dial as it is. If you get it redialed it's NOT going to look 100% authentic.

McKinley likes this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 21, 2017

I'll take the contrary view here. This watch is not going to a "collector", but to the OP's grandson. Different motivations apply. In my opinion, the least desirable outcome is that the watch is handed over in a cosmetic condition that does not appeal to the recipient and it ends up in a sock drawer, unloved and unworn.

Yes, there is a risk in refinishing/restoring the dial, and the result may not be what a collector may value, but if it is put into a condition where the grandson likes it and wears it with pleasure, then that's what should be done. He can then make his own history with the watch. I hope the members here can advise the OP on some craftsmen in his neck of the woods that can be recommended.

7. ChrisN Nov 21, 2017

On the dial, all the writing looks intact so, it is likely just the dial lacquer that needs stripping and replacing. You have a 50% chance, in my opinion, of a succesful job by which I mean that you won't lose any of the writing. I don't like doing this and don't know any watchmaker that does but, I just did a similar dial for someone else that turned out well - no water damage just clumpy yellowed lacquer.

Ask around some watchmakers in Australia and ask to see some dials they've done. If it fails, look out for a similar dial on eBay and so on.

And it does look like the stem/crown is bent so ask your watchmaker if it is.

Agree completely that if your grandson won't wear it, there's no point in leaving it like it is. Good luck.

Chris

Larry S likes this.
  8. Canuck Nov 21, 2017

I guess I have to ask the age of the grand son. If it is 15 years before he is old enough to receive the watch, then that means you might be the one to wear it until the time comes. Put the most appropriate Omega crown that is available, and either buff the crystal, or replace it with a genuine Omega crystal, and then enjoy it yourself until the day you bequeath it to him. By then, he could well quite enjoy receiving it just as it is when he sees you enjoying it. The dial will (IMO) look worse after an attempt to clean it.

9. dx009 Nov 21, 2017

Perhaps the most important question is: have you even asked your grandson whether he wants it/likes it ? Does he even wear watches ?

Only a small number of youngsters would wear a vintage watch, above all. Even if they are into watches, most go for modern ones or even smartwatches.

10. KJJ Nov 23, 2017

Thank you once again for all your advice.

My grandson is 7 very soon but is a a lovely caring boy. Aren’t all grandsons that age? And I trust him to look after it and hopefully wear it but I can’t make him. I just want him to have a link with his great grandad. With that and the natural beauty of the instrument he may wear it and ‘make his own history’ with it as someone has said.

I have been wearing it lately and like it very much. It’s precious to me but I don’t want my grandson to think like that otherwise he might be too frightened to wear it !

I will try to get the face and hands restored, the crown fixed and put a leather band on and then post some more photos.

Giving it too my grandson when his older is an option but I want to be around to do it!

Your advice and opinions are most welcome...

KJJ

11. KJJ Nov 23, 2017

Yes....my grandson does wear a watch now....good point

KJJ