Forums Latest Members
  1. JNord Oct 24, 2018

Hello, i recently inherited my grandfathers Omega Seamaster watch that I believe he bought at some point in the 1960.
    My grandfather used it as his work watch and seeing as he was a carpenter it lived a rough life while he had it, and as a result it was damaged although the internals were taken good care of so it is working well.

I would however love to restore it as much as possible back to original. And to do that I would need to get a new glass and strap for it.
    I know that it was originally purchased with a leather strap but I would love to get a hold of a metal strap instead to use on it.

The clockface also has some damage that has been repaired with nails by a watchmaker back when my grandfather wore it, and despite it not looking the best I am planning on keeping that as is out of sentimental reasons.

The specific information is as follows:
    Omega Seamaster Automatic
    Model: Cosmic
    Caliber: 565
    Reference: 166.026

If anyone has any information about where or how I could get a hold of the parts needed to restore this watch to the condition I feel it deserves to be in it really would mean a lot to me!

thumbnail_IMG_0461.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0462.jpg
    Edited Oct 24, 2018
    gdupree likes this.
  2. gdupree Oct 24, 2018

Post pictures of the watch directly here, using the "add photos" button.

Most likely you don't need to go about sourcing the restoration parts needed yourself. You should find a quality independent watchmaker, in your area if possible, and allow the to clean and service the watch. You can work out exactly what you want replaced, refinished, or not with your watchmaker. What area of the country/world are you in? There is likely a member here who can recommend a good watchmaker for you.

JNord likes this.
  3. JNord Oct 24, 2018

Thank you, I fixed the images now.
    And i have just had it looked over by a watchmaker who is an old friend of my family(not the one who put the nails in the watchface).Unfortunately he wasn't able to get the parts needed to do this.

And I live in Norway so if anyone know of a watchmaker anywhere there that I could contact that might be able to do this I would be more ten willing to ship it to him. I could also consider other places in Scandinavia although I wouldn't want to ship it to far if i can help it.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 24, 2018

@Northernman might be able to help as he's in your neck of the woods.

Just need a decent watchmaker with a Omega parts account.

Had one of the same watches that was a old relatives who used to be a farmer who wore it just as hard as your grandfather. Came up a treat after a service and a new crystal.
    ( you can still see the scratched dial in the sun )
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

UncleBuck and JNord like this.
  5. JNord Oct 24, 2018

Thank you I'll try to get in touch with him and then hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to get a hold of the parts I need with the help of a watchmaker, that would undoubtedly make the entire process much easier.

And your watch looks great! I honestly do believe that it is a sign of quality when watches that were clearly not intended for use during manual labor manages to survive it without much damage.

6. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 24, 2018

PM me. Not too many watchmakers in Norway that would be able to do much good at any price worth discussing.
    However I do have a fellow countryman living abroad that might be able to help.
    As for parts this is surely not a big issue. The dial is not looking to good, but anyway something can surely be done.
    Cheers,
    Eller: Skål som det heter her på berget!

STANDY and JNord like this.