Forums Latest Members
  1. hockysa Jun 18, 2019

Hi All,

I'm looking to restore my grandaddies 1952 Omega Seamaster which has not fared well in Singapore's humidity.
    I've contacted Simon Freese who said he's not able to do anything about the corrosion since the watch is gold capped rather than plated.

Just wondering if there was any other options to restore a corroded gold capped watch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Warm regards,
    Benjamin

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-20 at 14.54.32.jpeg

2. Edward53 Jun 18, 2019

I suspect that filler coloured to match the steel is the only viable option.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 18, 2019

Or a replacement case. The heart would still be his grand-dad's movement.

hockysa and DaveK like this.
  4. new_heuer Jun 18, 2019

I would have thought this was the only option

5. Biezmez Jun 19, 2019

Hi

Check out Replateit.com in Canada. I know they do some amazing work with cases. I’m sure they can provide some advice at least on what your options are.

Regards
    Chris.

DaveK and Larry S like this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 19, 2019

I would have thought the bare steel rear could be laser welded and filled and finished that way, but fixing the gold cap would be a different matter. Might be worth speaking with STS, though if Simon says it can’t be done then that is a worry. How bad is the front?

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 19, 2019

The only thing I can think of if you retain the case is to passivate the stainless steel and then ensure it is protected against sweat/perspiration.

While stainless steel on its own is reasonably stable, having it in contact with other metals (specifically copper) can introduce galvanic (dissimilar metal) corrosion, especially if there is a nice salty electrolyte (like Singapore perspiration) in the mix.

Gold and stainless are relatively happy together, but when the gold is not pure, but an alloy containing, among other things, copper......then there is a potential for potential (difference that is).

If you were to source a donor case for it, look to those originating from Scandinavia, Iceland, or even Great Britain. They are the only places I know where sweat doesn't drip down your arm in Summer.

8. hockysa Jun 19, 2019

That's an idea, I guess I'll keep a look out for parts

9. hockysa Jun 19, 2019

The front is great, just needs a polish.

Yeah knowing that Simon was so highly regarded here my heart did sink a little reading his email saying little could be done about the case.

10. hockysa Jun 19, 2019

Good advice, would you happen to know where would be best places to look for sourcing a donor?

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 19, 2019

Speak to Kieren at STS for a second opinion, though it is likely bearing in mind Simon's previous employment there the answer may be similar. STS certainly do offer laser welding but as Simon says the gold cap may cause an issue.

12. hockysa Jun 19, 2019

What's his email?
    Googling Kieren STS gave me some weird church

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 19, 2019

Have pm'd you but a call would also reach him of course.

Edited Jun 19, 2019
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 19, 2019

+ 1 ... pretty sure they are the best bet.

15. hockysa Jun 19, 2019

Have reached out to these gents as well.

16. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jun 19, 2019

Here's an idea that probably won't see much traction on this forum: fill the voids with epoxy resin. I would use West System marine epoxy with colloidal silica filler. The filler permits to adjust the viscosity of the epoxy from very liquid up to a thick paste. It becomes almost glass-like when fully cured.

felsby likes this.
  17. hockysa Jun 19, 2019

replateit just got back to me
    no beuno =[

18. TimtimeIntl Jun 19, 2019

I had a circa 1964 Seamaster 300 like that and a jeweler I know who has done some laser weld work for me said he would not touch something that porous. I ended up selling it. Since it has sentimental value I would just wear it infrequently unless it leaks, but I bet not with a new gasket and silicone grease. Also, I think you could easily find a donor watch on Ebay or the like. Good luck.

19. Biezmez Jun 20, 2019

Sounds like a donor would be the best option then and keep the original as an interesting insight and history to the watch.

Regards
    Chris

20. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jun 20, 2019

I'd go with epoxy filler as well. It will work well.

How about a front photo of the watch?

Deafboy likes this.