Forums Latest Members
  1. Civic4982 Jul 27, 2019

I feel quite lucky to stumble upon a well worn Ploprof.

It happens to be the same one declined by another OF member.

I’m not new to vintage watches but I am new to this big beautiful beast, the Ploprof.

I try to never swap dial or hands unless they’re really unusable. In this case the seconds hand is missing it’s lume so I may consider reluming it to match,myself. The dial has a scratch In two locations 6:45 to 10:00 positions and 10:00 to 10:30 positions. Additionally some of the lume has come off in various areas over the years. I frankly don’t mind it at all. I do not believe it has been relumed however some of the lume has clearly come off. I’m of the belief that the dial is original. Hour hand has a hole in the lume. Not touching that.

E16C2C84-D3F5-4B52-9D9C-3D7389C76541.jpeg

FFFE9F3F-AEC2-43C1-92D7-128E64ACAC18.jpeg

The crystal is very usable and provides
    Clear visibility. There’s a healthy scratch in the right upper quadrant on it though and I may swap it.

Barely visible here:

81AC45C1-65A3-46D7-8DEB-9F267367B955.png

The prior owner posted that the communications he had with the seller suggested the crown was replaced. The action is good and proceed without any give. I do not suspect it has been recently replaced as it has appropriate wear.

C0DA23B3-E465-40CB-9E99-997EA8C55119.jpeg

A friend has created some beautiful plastic red crown screws for this model and so I’m veeeeery tempted to put one in. It would be a bit silly as it’s not true to the item but hell... it’s my watch right?

The bezel insert is f***** beautiful. I won’t do anything to it except stare at it and dream about its glow.

A138531E-397E-4B63-A702-830A4A69E1B8.jpeg

I’m lucky that this movement is doing great. I’ve heard they can be challenging to find parts on.

256477DC-AF51-4829-A644-E12916D68239.jpeg

It’s got a great OE bracelet and strap. 1162 with 162 end links with minimal stretch.
    I need a spare screw in link for it though as it just baaaaaarely fits me. Another link and some use of the clasp slots will help it feel more comfortable.

A 94512022 buckle is on its way.
    I’ll pick up an OEM omega blue modern strap in 24/20mm 032CA4750057
    On the lookout for a shark mesh OEM with seatbelt buckle 1255-237
    An orange rubber from Borealis on its way already thanks to some of the other OF members recommendations.

So the questions are what spare parts to buy and keep around?
    Gaskets?
    Buttons?
    Crowns?
    I’ll probably snag a few crystals.

Is there any way to find an old vintage blue or orange isofrane rubber? I’ve never seen one for sale. I’m expecting the answer is no.

Please pardon any errors.

Open to any other recommendations for restoration.

Thanks to the people who have made various articles and sites for references.

On my limited knowledge here is what I saw:
    Mark 1 case
    B2A bezel
    Dial D4
    Regular Hour Hand
    Sound right?

alucinoff, JanV, Etp095 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 27, 2019

I think it looks quite nice. I would replace crystal, stabilize hand, and rotate back (assuming your right handed).

When I bought mine a few years back it was the same config as yours. I was able to get an extract confirming movement was a ploprof. Mine however has luminova hands when purchased, and while I have a NOS set of tritium hands and a used set of tritium hands, they just did not look right so I had @photo500 age my hands to match dial. IMG_20190513_093717.jpg

Etp095 and Civic4982 like this.
  3. Mr Blond Jul 27, 2019

If you replace the crystal try and find the mineral version as the current replacement from omega is the sapphire version.

Probably could do with a service to check for any possible water damage.

Here’s mine

692F832D-F7AA-453D-9F03-685AFE1E5306.jpeg
    Civic4982 and Taddyangle like this.
  4. Civic4982 Jul 27, 2019

I’m unsure if I’ll rotate back yet but I’ll definitely get the datewheel to leave it an option.

How do you mean stabilize? My plan is to leave all hands as is right now.

Next is to disassemble and learn the serial and timeline.

5. Civic4982 Jul 27, 2019

Thanks, yours looks great.

I just put an order in for a fresh crystal.

6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 28, 2019

On the minutes hand, that black mark, is that due to lume flaking off? If so, I'd have concerns that it will increase in size. If it's just a black mark on top of the lume, then I would leave hands as is.

Civic4982 likes this.
  7. S.H. Jul 28, 2019

I would advise you to have this checked by somebody who knows this model before spending money on accessories:
    - the timegrapher diagram is not great
    - is there some kind of rehaut missing? I don't identify clearly what I am seeing at the edge of the dial (mainplate? correct rehaut with missing paint? some bogus part?...)
    - what bothers me most is the big scratch : either it has been really badly mishandled (so what else is there!!), or it may have suffered a bad fall (circular scratches may be caused by dislodged hands touching the dial, or broken dial feet).

Civic4982 and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. cristos71 Jul 28, 2019

Good advice here! I was looking at the rehaut issue too, to me that's a clear sign of a bodge job somewhere in its history. I'd get it serviced properly ASAP

Civic4982 likes this.
  9. Civic4982 Jul 28, 2019

Rehaut is there, just brass appearing. Good advice to replace it. Looks like the black coating has worn off.

As for Dial scratch, your guess would be as good as mine. Seems not like a typical tool mark direction or slipped hand. I’d suspect less likely a missed move by a watchmaker but rather a loose hand at some point in its past.

Won’t be sending it to someone who “knows this model.” But definitely will be take apart by own personal watchmaker and just for longevity I’ll have him do a tear down and service because I trust him with pretty much everything I pick up.

Thanks for your opinion, appreciate it.

S.H. likes this.
  10. Civic4982 Jul 28, 2019

Can you explain what you mean by “rehaut issue” showing a sign of poor work? It’s not clear to me. This appear to be a structural item that’s between thendial and crystal and removal that wears with time. I’ve spotted others with the brass finishing showing.

Is there some other important mistake that has happened to make it wear off it’s coating?

11. Civic4982 Jul 28, 2019

I don’t think it fell off by accident. It appears to likely have been broken by a wandering pickup having impacted it during work done.

What do people use to “stabilize?” My assumption is a binding agent of some sort on the backside to support it structurally.

12. Civic4982 Aug 3, 2019

Anyone know if this eBay item looks like the replacement for the rehaut piece that is brassy in mine?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/303200632589

Here’s mine:

23D5E95A-4B04-4E48-887B-CB96330B2FD3.jpeg

I’ve managed to pick up a crystal as well and am currently considering a fresh red button and spring although this one appears to be working well.

Also, can anyone direct me towards a correct datewheel to flip it around?

Thanks.

13. ChrisN Aug 3, 2019

On the eBay black flange part, no-one can answer this as the seller has hidden the part number.::facepalm2:: I have part number 076LR0018 for this part so,you could ask them to confirm and then check the number I have (it's Saturday and I'm not working but have these numbers jotted down).

The date ring is PloProf specific and I don't know that you'll find one on eBay. Instead of the teeth being directly inside each number, the teeth are between each number so that the dates line up with 9 O'clock and not 3 O'Clock. I have 10001589A for the black numbers on silver background date disc with this tooth configuration but, again, check.

To be honest, you know the watch is running badly from your timegrapher and needs a service so, why not open the watch and find out what's happened to the black ring on your watch? This is a fifteen minute job and will enable you to be sure of what's there today. I've only done one of these and the black ring was in two parts (upper and lower) so, I suppose the part number is for both parts. How about yours? You might be able to re-finish the part that's there?

Cheers, Chris

Taddyangle and Civic4982 like this.
  14. Civic4982 Aug 3, 2019

First off, many many thanks for the part numbers.

Secondly, this is definitely going to my personal watchmaker. I want to order all the correct parts to send to him so that he can have it all together and isn’t searching for parts. It’s a side gig for him and I’d like to help make the task as straight forward for him as I can.

As for opening up the front I’ve not yet gathered the courage to remove the bezel to be honest. I haven’t ponied up the cash for a nice bezel removal tool and I’m anxious about damaging the nice bezel insert with its lovely patina. Any recommendations on how to safely accomplish the task and I’m all for the go ahead.

Thank you again.

15. Mr Blond Aug 3, 2019

If you need courage to remove the bezel, then my advice is don’t touch it. Get someone who is experienced in doing so.

JanV and ChrisN like this.
  16. ChrisN Aug 3, 2019

The above from @Mr Blond is sound advice. You talked about re-luming hands so, I assumed you had some experience with these things. The hand work is far more difficult than the bezel removal so, be very careful doing that.

You don't need a special removal tool for the bezel but to go further, you'll need proper tools so, best to take it to a watchmaker and have them remove the bezel, case ring and the black flange/seal. I would do this before spending a lot of money on parts as your ones may be fine.

Cheers, Chris

Civic4982 likes this.
  17. Civic4982 Aug 3, 2019

Thanks @Mr Blond and @ChrisN .

I can remove and relume the hands without issue and if the two part stem isn’t much different from my Benrus Type I or II then I’m probably in okay shape. I think I can mix some luminova to closely color match it so far as lume goes.

I’m just not sure how fragile these bezel inserts are so instead of my usual razor blade to pop off a bezel, I was going to buy one of those nice rubber grabbers or a 4 angled bezel tool to be extra gentle.

Is it pretty finicky? I haven’t seen as many cracked ones as I had on an old SM300 165.024 before.

Appreciate the comments. Will update more once I get the flange out. I may replace them all anyways as I don’t think the brassy appearance is “correct.”

Was just going to spend a bit extra on parts for “just in case” to have my watchmakers task be more straight forward. He’s good to me so I try to be courteous and not send him PITA tasks and parts hunting. My extra cost is worth his decreased time.

18. Civic4982 Aug 17, 2019

So it’s a couple of weeks later now and I’ve been lucky enough to find a replacement date wheel and mineral crystal but after some disassembly it appears that I’ll also be needing a new step ring :(

Here’s wishing parts were easier to find.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the step ring AKA flange?

Oh well.......

Edited Aug 17, 2019
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2019

076LR0018 | BLACK FLANGE

Cheers, Al

20. Civic4982 Aug 17, 2019

Thank you!