restore, resell - when is it worth it?

Hi everyone. New to this forum. I inherited from my father an Omega Seamaster De Ville with gold case. It is automatic, has a date, and is also marked Tiffany & Co. A local jeweler opened it up for me yesterday and we found hte sI've been wondering about getting it serviced -- either to wear or to sell. I see online that there is a rather wide market value for these watches -- around $1,000-$5,000?

Sorry, I accidentally hit the send button too soon!
I meant to say: we found the serial number (1214609) and the caliber (560), which I understand is a very specific edition of the watch. Another detail: the watch was working (winding up automatically) perfectly until yesterday. I'm afraid that the jeweler must have moved something or not put the case back on properly because it has for the first time stopped. I hope this is not a serious issue. So I have two questions. If the watch were in perfect working order, what might be the value? Second, would it be worth - ie would it raise the selling price sufficiently - sending this watch to Omega in Switzerland for a restoration? I was told this will take a year, which I don't mind, but could cost several thousan dollars (and they don't give you an estimate). Or, would it make more sense to send for restoration here in the US to a third party restorer? If the latter, are there recommendations? The internet is full of people who claim to be Omega repair places! Thank you so much. I feel very in the dark about this fascinating speciality. I've also started to gain an appreciation for the beauty of the watch itself. Maybe I should restore it and keep it (but a little money of course is always welcome for other projects.)

Restoration by Omega will cost a lot of money and actually decrease the value. The dial is badly damaged and can't be repaired. Omega will repaint the dial, and the value will go down.

IMO, there is no way that any type of restoration will increase the value by more than the cost of the restoration. If you are determined to sell it, just sell it now before investing any money into it. If the watch has sentimental value to you, then do whatever restoration will help you enjoy the watch most, without concern for the cost of the restoration, recognizing that you will not recoup the cost.

Personally, I would just have the movement repaired/serviced. There are many threads on the forum with recommendations on that, depending on your location.

Like 5
Service at a watchmaker with an omega parts account. Throw it on a nice black leather strap and wear it as a reminder of your father. I wouldn’t sell a family heirloom personally.

If selling, sell as is. It’s not going to make you rich…

Like 4
I sold one awhile back that I found in a pawn shop (the pawn dealer said "it's not working, it just needs a new battery." Dial said "automatic"). They also apparently hadn't bothered to take the strap off to see the gold mark. It was in excellent/near perfect overall condition and running. Surely needed a service. I believe it sold in a ebay auction for $1,200 if I recall?

edit: just saw yours says Tiffany. Not sure what, if any, premium the Omega crowd would put on that (if it's indeed from Tiffany), given the overall condition.

Send it to a watchmaker (we can help if you tell us where you live). Clean, oil, adjust, then wear.

If you plan to sell, definitely check the gold content. A gold Tiffany would sell easy even in this condition but nowhere near $5K.

If the jeweller is the one handling the watch movement with their bare fingers, I definitely would not bring another watch anywhere near them.

Like 2
edit: just saw yours says Tiffany. Not sure what, if any, premium the Omega crowd would put on that (if it's indeed from Tiffany), given the overall condition.
No premium.

Like 2
Send it to a watchmaker (we can help if you tell us where you live). Clean, oil, adjust, then wear.

If you plan to sell, definitely check the gold content. A gold Tiffany would sell easy even in this condition but nowhere near $5K.
But is it in fact gold or plated? I see no hallmark or purity number. If plated, in that condition even with the Tiff peculiarity I can’t see that making more than $750. If it’s solid gold it would go better.
Edited:

Like 1
But is it in fact gold or plated? I see no hallmark or purity number. If plated, in that condition even with the Tiff peculiarity I can’t see that making more than $750. If it’s sold gold it would go better.

Gold content on these is marked between the lower lugs.

Like 2
Where did you take it to have the caseback removed??? The bloke in the booth at the mall who changes watch batteries, mends shoes, as well as selling both phone covers and ciggies???
You should've taken it to a proper watch doctor.....maybe if you had it would still work!

Like 1
Second, would it be worth - ie would it raise the selling price sufficiently - sending this watch to Omega in Switzerland for a restoration?
The economics of these are almost by definition negative. Anyway: don’t bother with servicing it. Just put it on ebay (and don’t order a Ferrari yet…)

thank you for all these responses. I understand the lay of the land better now. I live in the Washington, DC, area. Ideally I'd get it serviced and back to working (and a strap).