Forums Latest Members

[Restoration Project] Omega Constellation 14393 9 SC

1. batou May 30, 2019

Hello everybody,

I appeal to your expertise today about an Omega Constellation watch that needs a fresh touch!

Movement is the famous Ω 561, 24 jewels high grade (adjusted to 5 positions) Automatic Chronometer. The reference at the back of the case is ref. 14393 9 SC. The dial is silver with gold and black onyx markers. Below are some pictures of the watch:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I acquired the watch recently, knowing that the dial would need a refresher. I usually carry out my watches overhaul with an official Omega craftsman. Unfortunately, my watchmaker couldn’t work on the dial at the time. Bienne suggested to replace the dial, but the alternative offered by Omega is slightly different, much more modern and gets rid of the golden Omega letters.

On top of that, the new dial is not cheap and I think the watch would lose a bit of its vintage spirit: I’d rather use that option as a last resource. As it is a watch that I want to wear on a regular basis, I really consider getting the dial restored, fully knowing that from a collector’s point of view the piece will lose a bit of authenticity.

With that in mind I’m looking for as many clichés or sample pictures as possible, in order to convince myself that I can retrieve the original markings/colors and also to provide the craftsman with a list of requirements. I found it difficult to find pictures matching the exact reference, it also often refers to “Pie Pan” models. I imagine that the community might be of help here

For the text/stamps I use Redmond’s blog as a reference (i.e. for the fonts, MOY test, etc.). In my quest for the best craftsman, I also contacted half a dozen workshops specialized in dial restoration around Europe, mainly in France, Spain and the UK. I was wondering if anyone had a positive experience re-dialing a similar watch?

Apart from that, the crown had a decagonal crown which I find acceptable, and I'll also make sure the hands are looked after.

Any feedback and advice would be amazing! Many thanks in advance!

2. Shabbaz May 30, 2019

I remember the iwc watch thread with @hoipolloi. Cant find it now. But it was a very good redial job

3. Shabbaz May 30, 2019

Do you have a picture of the dial that omega offered? I'm interested what they would give you...

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 30, 2019

Hello @batou
    Welcome to OF
    Firstly, not that I wish to see old Constellations fade away and die but I have to ask why you are restoring this watch?
    If it is of sentimental value then I can fully see the point.
    However, if it’s not of sentimental value and given that the case is quite heavily polished, unless you just have a thing about restoring old watches, I’m not sure this one merits the cost of refurbishment.
    (I would be tempted to have it cleaned up and serviced and wear it as it is)

In saying that, if you google ‘Omega forums 14393’ you should get a few links to members watches to look at for the dial configuration. (Also try 14381 - as it’s the same reference minus the date)

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. batou May 30, 2019

Hi Peemacgee, The motivation is a good point: no that specific watch has no sentimental value, it's more about the small challenge of giving the watch a second life. I'm considering a service anyway, but I thought it would be sad to wear a Constellation with only the applied Omega and the iconic star.

Thanks for the references! I'll have a look at the pictures of the 14381, it's a great idea. I was hoping to find a twin sister of my watch online to get the exact configuration!

Edited May 30, 2019
  6. cristos71 May 30, 2019

I fully agree with @Peemacgee, for the cost of a service and replacement dial you can probably find a much better example, this one will never be a winner due to the state of the case.

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 30, 2019

It could have looked like this one sold by boat2dan back in 2016 but the ‘calendar’ versions are less common
    73AF0B32-9218-4570-979B-F0E89D4F33AF.jpeg
    Or more likely this polished gold version posted on OF (but the fonts look a little thick to me )
    68E91BCB-F63E-475A-AF8E-CE4688F65698.jpeg

My 14382 (de luxe version of 14381) for reference of correct fonts
    3574C641-E742-4148-BAAE-B11AAF9528FA.jpeg

Hope that helps

8. batou May 31, 2019

Thanks @Peemacgee , the pictures are really helpful How would you describe the background color on the second and third pictures? Should the end-result ideally be off-white?

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 31, 2019

I should have been more specific.
    The second two are both de luxe versions with solid gold cases and dials.
    Hard to tell from your pic (would help if you posted a front on picture) but your watch could have been white, off-white, silvered or even champagne.
    Also original dial colour may change due to natural ageing of the lacquer.
    Here is my SS 14381 as an alternative example.
    51DDAC24-B91D-47DC-A12C-19F1120C9B00.jpeg

10. batou May 31, 2019

Dear @Peemacgee , here's a front picture of the dial. I imagine some careless previous owner attempted to clean the dial on its own and completely ruined it, including the lacquer. By visual inspection the dial looks a bit shiny, and I can't say if its due to the lack of lacquer or if it is a remained of the original colour.

On another note, I have the impression that my dial originally had cross-hairs according to the vertical black line left near the Omega logo.

Front picture.jpg
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 31, 2019

Much better thank you.
    I think you may be right re the cross hairs.

If you compare the lugs and bezel to both my gold and SS versions you will see how far gone your case is.
    That combined with current state of the dial, the kindest thing you could do for this watch is to leave it as it is, give it a comfortable home and bring it out now and then for some love.
    I wouldn’t advise spending any money on it.