Forums Latest Members

Restoration of an Omega Soccer Timer 145.020 cal. 861

1. Veez89 Mar 24, 2017

Hello lovely people,

I have inherited this gem from my dad. The watch is in working condition but has scratches on the glass and the original strap is in bad condition. I have sent it to Omega for a full restoration. Does anyone know roughly the costs associated for this? Omega will send me a quote in the next 4 weeks. I cannot wait to have this elegant vintage timepiece restored to its former glory. Have a look at the before pics and would love to see your comments. I do not wish to sell this however I am curious as to what a restored watch of this kind will fetch. Thanks and a great weekend to all

17455045_10208702638382694_578307679_o.jpg 17475458_10208702638342693_1747732089_o.jpg 17499900_10208702638622700_2042066457_o.jpg
    Jamgantenk likes this.
  2. Spy You know my name. Mar 24, 2017

I will assume it is going to be sent to Switzerland for servicing. It will run the high hundreds to over a thousand, quite possibly. I am talking from experience.

Jamgantenk likes this.
  3. FREDMAYCOIN Mar 24, 2017

Do not sent it to omega. I find a experienced watchmaker who understands vintage watches and tell them not to polish the case. Just clean, remove scratches from the crystal and have them do a movement service.

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 24, 2017

Hi Veez and welcome!
    A very nice watch indeed, should clean up nicely.

I'm afraid most here would advise against having the factory do the work as they will probably make wholesale changes that are more concerned with restoring to new condition as opposed to preserving the old and highly-collectable features.
    I agree with Spy but I feel $1000 US may be the low-end.

As we are a Collector's forum, most here would recommend a sympathetic servicing that preserves the old dial, case and hands and only maintains the mechanics and puts a new Omega crystal on it.
    My 145.020 was in similar condition as yours and it cost me $550 to have this done a couple years ago by an independant.

Mine as it is now:

IMGP4062-1.jpg

As for value, they sell for $2-3K US.

5. Spy You know my name. Mar 24, 2017

If you make clear instruction to OMEGA, to use ONLY its original parts, they will do comply. That is what I did when I sent a vintage piece in. Just remember to say "please" when you tell OMEGA this because we are big on manners on this forum.

Welcome, by the way!

Jamgantenk and Meme-Dweller like this.
  6. Spy You know my name. Mar 24, 2017

I will revise my previous estimate and concur with UncleBuck. My timer that I sent to Bienne cost me $1,250 for the service. And your watch is more complicated than mine. The cost to enjoy our hobby is expensive upkeep for some.

Jamgantenk likes this.
  7. RJwatches Mar 24, 2017

If I were you I'd let them send it back to you, and find a watchmaker that knows how to service a vintage watch. They will use newer parts and destroy the nice history your watch has :(

8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 24, 2017

Would like to second what unclebuck said and in terms of value it may be worth more if serviced by a good independent watchmaker rather than restored by Omega.

marco and Veez89 like this.
  9. Veez89 Mar 24, 2017

Hi Spy, thank you for the feedback. The numbers I received from the jeweller that I have sent it through quote similar figures... anywhere between 500 to 1000$. I await the quote and once received will be requesting feedback from the forum. I am searching for a reputable vintage watch repairer/jeweller in South Africa.

10. Veez89 Mar 24, 2017

Point taken.. thank you. I am searching for an experienced vintage watch maker who will do exactly what you have mentioned at a fraction of the cost as well.

11. Veez89 Mar 24, 2017

Hi UncleBuck, thank you for the feedback. I await the quote from Omega for a full restoration using original parts only. Once received I will know exactly where I stand. Your watch is in prestine condition and I would love to attain the same for mine.

Jamgantenk likes this.
  12. Veez89 Mar 24, 2017

Thank you Spy. I will definitely make it clear to Omega (in a polite way of course) that I would prefer the watch to be restored using orginal parts only.

Jamgantenk likes this.
  13. Veez89 Mar 24, 2017

Very true... it is an expensive hobby....but a hobby that brings much joy and satisfaction in the end

Jamgantenk likes this.
  14. Veez89 Mar 24, 2017

Hi RJwatches,

I await the quote from Omega first... once received I am in a better position to determine whether it is worth it or not. Thank's for the feedback

15. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 24, 2017

Hello Veez. Nice to see you on the forum with your lovely soccer timer. I was going to send my vintage Speedmaster to Omega but was advised against it by experienced members of this forum. I am so pleased I didn't as they may have exchanged the watch's original features and seriously compromised it's value.

If you are thinking of sending your watch overseas to Switzerland, why not consider using Swiss Time Services in the United Kingdom. They are held in high esteem by collectors on this forum. They sympathetically service and repair vintage watches from all over the world. You would be able to discuss your requirements and ask for advice on the telephone. Check them out on line???

Veez89 likes this.
  16. dialstatic Mar 25, 2017

...if you're lucky. Stories of different experiences abound on these boards.

Also: gorgeous watch. My advice: let a competent watchmaker give the movement a full service, maybe replace the crystal, choose a cool new strap or bracelet - and do nothing else. Your watch tells your dad's story the way it is. In terms of value, I'd be much more interested in buying it as it is now (and certainly with a documented, recent movement service) than with a refinished case & service dial and hands.

Edited Mar 25, 2017
  17. Veez89 Mar 27, 2017

Hello again everybody,

I have decided to NOT send the watch to Omega. I have found a very reputable watchmaker in my hometown and will be visiting him soon to have the watch restored and a new strap fitted. I thank all of you for the advice once again. will keep you guys posted

Veeshan :)

18. Spy You know my name. Mar 27, 2017

Luck had nothing to do with it. I noted and photographed everything wrong with the watch and made clear what I wanted before the AD shipped it off. When I got it back, there were no old parts accompanying it and everything was the same, except it was back in chronometer time keeping. People will go the extra mile when you ask nicely.

Veez89 likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2017

Smart move - if Omega takes a watch in and they feel some part needs to be replaced, they will either replace it, or in the best case scenario return the watch unserviced. This will be done regardless of your instructions - in the end they will insist on replacing things in certain situations.

I think what confuses people in this regard is that sometimes Omega doesn't replace parts that we are all concerned about. Some interpret this that they are flexible, but that really isn't the case. You can be sure that if a watch has been sent off and came back with the original parts intact, they felt those parts were okay to use again. If they feel they are not, there are only two options - replace the part or they refuse service. It's no mystery and it's all written in their customer service policies.

Cheers, Al

20. Spy You know my name. Mar 28, 2017

No.

Jamgantenk likes this.