Forums Latest Members

Restarting a 40y.o. NOS quartz watch - pragmatic approach?

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 6, 2017

Hello Friends,

As much as I understand the need to service a 40 y.o. mechanical watch that hasn't run for decades, I'm wondering what is the "pragmatic" approach to restarting a nearly NOS quartz watch of the same age... Does one have to go through the full burden of a full service, or can a bolder approach be take here (read: pop caseback open, throw in a new renata, close caseback, enjoy the newly ressucitated timepiece) without too much concern given the scarcity of mechanical parts and the typical ruggedness of quartz mechanisms?

Thank you,
    Paul

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 6, 2017

If I opened the back and the movement looked clean, I would probably throw a battery in (not Renata) and see if it ticks. Be aware that the consumption of the movement might be such that the battery won't last long. If you have not read this thread, it might shed some light on quartz watches...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/quartz-watches-some-information-some-may-find-interesting.5475/

As you will see, the loads on a quartz watch are very small, so it's not that they are robust, but under very small loads compared to a mechanical watch.

Cheers, Al

3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 6, 2017

Thank you Al - very useful as usual. I will read this with much interest.

(the "renata" example was for illustration purposes only! :D )

Thank you!
    Paul

4. Sgt_Bilko Apr 6, 2017

Just curious to know what is wrong with Renata batteries. I think I have one ticking away in a quartz Seiko that I keep for the times when I'm washing a car or lifting furniture.

5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 6, 2017

(btw Renata belongs to the Swatch Group - like the brand which is the main center of interest of this whole forum...)

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 6, 2017

I don't do a lot of battery swaps compared to some watchmakers, but for watchmakers that do, Renata are known as frequent leakers. I just looked at my dead battery pile, and I have a Renata in there that has leaked...I personally use Maxell and have never had complaints. I would also stay away from the cheap Chinese batteries. A leaked battery can destroy a quartz movement.

Cheers, Al

ahartfie, Lonestar and Sgt_Bilko like this.
  7. Sgt_Bilko Apr 6, 2017

That is good to know. This Seiko is almost 20 years old and I have no idea how long it will last, but it would be a shame to ruin it because of a poorly made battery.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 6, 2017

Not sure if the movement has an EOL indicator, but if it does (Omegas tend to tick once every 4 seconds when the voltage drops) make sure you change the battery ASAP. Batteries tend to leak more when they get run down for some reason, so do not wait until it stops, and don't let it sit in a drawer with an old battery inside.

Lonestar and Paedipod like this.
  9. Sgt_Bilko Apr 6, 2017

I don't think there is any indicator of low battery on this one, but it spends a lot of time in a drawer, so I usually only notice when the battery has died. This is a watch that only cost $150 new, so the value now is practically zero, but I never like the idea of treating things badly or simply discarding something when a little maintenance will ensure smooth running. I'll order a replacement on Amazon.

Come to think of it that Seiko is the only watch I have that was purchased new. Everything else is vintage.