Forums Latest Members

Respect and kudos to the Fratellowatches team...

1. sdre Aug 8, 2020

2. S.H. Aug 8, 2020

Indeed.

"auction houses cannot be trusted to vet watches" from the linked article.

Refreshing to see it printed in a media.

Dedalus05, OmegaP99, Joe_A and 4 others like this.
  3. KingCrouchy Aug 8, 2020

I just read the article before heading to the OF.
    It's sadly so rare to see critical positions being taken, when it comes to watch publications. Basic journalism is often missing, and Shops disguise as reliable source of information.::stirthepot::

Well done Fratello!:thumbsup:

4. ZIELSZIEK Aug 8, 2020

There was a 6105 that had an A.R. coated crystal, in the lot, if that's not obvious the I don't know what is.

OmegaP99, janice&fred and KingCrouchy like this.
  5. dsacks30 Aug 8, 2020

Bravo to Fratello. Here are some excerpts from the Hodinkee write-up on the same auction. I'll let it speak for itself:

"Starting on August 17 and called "Making Waves: Seiko – A Private Collection of Japanese Wristwatches," there will be more than 200 lots available, with each and every piece having been sourced from a single, and seemingly quite impressive, personal collection."

"While there are some truly rare and special pieces featured in Bonhams' preview (more on that in a moment), it's a special treat to hear about an auction that will feature watches that are likely to hammer at a more accessible price point."

"While the estimates on some of these feel a bit low to me, this is certainly a sale worth following if you're into Seiko watches. I have never registered for an online watch auction, but this looks like it could be a lot of fun, and it's nice to have an activity on the calendar. Be sure to put a big "X" on August 17 as that's when the full listing will be published and the first part of the auction will kick off (and run until the 25th). Dates and lots for part two are currently TBD, but for those of you who don't normally pay close attention to watch auctions, you can't say we didn't warn you."

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bonhams-announces-an-all-seiko-online-only-auction

noelekal, Rman, Braindrain and 2 others like this.
  6. janice&fred Aug 8, 2020

I always enjoy the Fratello articles. There are a few English guys on youtube that post some enjoyable watch review videos as well.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  7. sdre Aug 8, 2020

Well done.

Whatever happened to editing an article before it gets published? Whatever happened to vetting? A few drafts here and there.

It's such lazy reporting by Hodinkee

8. connieseamaster Aug 9, 2020

Not so cancelled after all.::popcorn::

9. Dan S Aug 9, 2020

It's always surprising to me when watches sell for astronomically high prices at auctions. I doubt that most buyers are able to inspect the watches in person, there are usually only a few (mediocre) photos, and one can't generally return the watch unless there is a major error in the listing. It's almost as if the fact that it has been sold at a well-known auction house constitutes a sort of provenance and authentication, but most of us know better.

The only time I'm really tempted to buy at auctions is when there is a real bargain, since I see it as a risky purchase compared to buying from another collector, or even eBay.

Davidt and Dedalus05 like this.
  10. krogerfoot Aug 9, 2020

Actual watch journalism! I did not know this was a thing. Sad that the article had to specify that they don’t enjoy reporting the problems they found, and they note that other sites uncritically promoted the auction in an admirably non-gloating way. Plenty of weird shenanigans going on in the watch world; watch enthusiasts would benefit from more of this kind of knowledgeable journalism.

DaveK and SpeedyPhill like this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2020

The reason we have Fratello’s Omega tagged articles auto posted here under RJ’s account is that they do write some really good stories and were the biggest site that shouted us out and brought publicity to OF in the early days when we were nothing. They didn’t have to do that but they did and brought some of our earliest members and traffic here.

While Michael, the authors of that article is American, I think the Dutch influence shines through in the site still in the sense that if something is clearly shit they’re not going to mince words in saying so.

Linzer, shishy, Dan S and 10 others like this.
  12. S.H. Aug 10, 2020

Just saw that... amazing. ::popcorn:: indeed.

13. ConElPueblo Aug 10, 2020

images.jpeg

DaveK, Linzer, inchpincher and 3 others like this.
  14. wristpirate Aug 10, 2020

Bravo Fratello!

15. buramu Aug 10, 2020

haha.. too true. As a Dutch person I’ve learned to bite my tongue in international communities, but it’s hard not to be perceived as rude or at least overly direct in many cases :)

16. jsducote Aug 12, 2020

Pick your battles, to be sure, but Hodinkee-style "everything is great" Pollyanna-ism doesn't do anyone any favors and certainly doesn't help their image as being in bed with anyone and everyone that can help them make a buck.

17. Redwes25 Aug 14, 2020

Auction is now live with Conditions reports.

18. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 14, 2020

This is where the term deutschebag came from ;)

19. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 14, 2020

that’s ‘German’ ;)

buramu likes this.
  20. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 14, 2020

Dang, back to pun school :oops:

buramu likes this.