Forums Latest Members

Resetting Speedy Pro Chronograph......is this normal?

1. boss99er May 5, 2015

Hey guys, I just received my 2009 Speedmaster Pro today. I noticed that when I reset the chrono, the second needle kind of slingshots past :60, then snaps back. Is this normal behavior? Its in the blink of an eye, but its still not what I expected to happen. Here is a slow motion vid I took with my iPhone that shows it. Is this normal?

Edited May 5, 2015
  2. repoman May 5, 2015

Nope, that's not normal. I'm not a watchmaker, I just know how all of my speedmasters reset, and that ain't it ;-) Paging @Archer , Al to the white courtesy telephone.

EDIT: ignore above, see later post by Al, at least the speedy I'm wearing right now does the same thing, it just happens so fast my eyes can't really see it.

Edited May 6, 2015
  3. boss99er May 5, 2015

Oh really? Crap! Figures that my new watch would be broken....

I read about a heart cam and spring tension. Is it possibly my watch just needs adjusted? It's also a 2009 and I don't believe ever serviced. Probably about due?

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 5, 2015

A service should take care of that, yes.

Tom

5. boss99er May 5, 2015

Thats kinda what I thought. I'll have to see if my usual watch guy can squeeze her in. At least, I assume he can perform the service just fine. There's nothing "special" about these is there?

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 6, 2015

No, not really. Just has to replace some chrono parts.

Tom

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2015

Looks absolutely normal to me. For Repoman, let your Speedy Pro chronograph run to about 23 seconds past zero, stop it, and then look at the dial closely at about the 52 second mark, and keep staring there as you reset...

I think you will find that this is pretty normal.

Cheers, Al

boss99er and Mad Dog like this.
  8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 6, 2015

Slightly off topic -

@Archer you well now AL?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2015

Thanks for asking - I am much better thanks, and working full hours again finally. But overall not as much as before - no more 7 days a week...

Cheers, Al

boss99er and DLT222 like this.
  10. repoman May 6, 2015

HOLY S&*#$&*T, @Archer is once again 100% mythbuster correct.. this all happens way way way too fast for my eyes to actually see it, the only way was doing exactly what Al suggested, stare at 52sec mark when resetting, in which case I think I can see the hand fly back past zero, but it all happens in less than a blink of an eye and I've never noticed it before, nor do I think I will ever see it again without doing the 52sec stare trick.

Ignore my previous ill informed comments.

boss99er and Mad Dog like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2015

No worries - my full time job is mythbusting on watch forums, and I do a little watchmaking on the side when I have time...;)

12. boss99er May 6, 2015

Hey Archer, I'm assuming you do Speedmaster servicing? My watch is losing 40 seconds per 24hrs. It's a 2009 and I don't believe ever been serviced......at least I have no record of it.

13. boss99er May 6, 2015

Ha ha, I just noticed you have "Omega Qualified Watchmaker" under your name. Do you have a site or anything? I'd love some info!

14. boss99er May 7, 2015

UPDATE: After Archer mentioned the reset bounce was normal, I took it to a local guy to check out the loss of time. He said the movement is actually very clean and could still see oil in the jewels. He was able to regulate the watch so its much better. Its now gaining about 12 seconds per day instead of losing 40-60 seconds per day. He however noted that the watch wants to run slow when on its face, and run fast when on its back. He mentioned amplitude was good, and not much error. I'm not 100% what all of that means, but he said its likely it will need to be cleaned in the next year or two, but didn't think it needed it right now. Does this all sound right to you guys? I've never used this watchmaker, so I don't really have a level of trust with him yet, and I'm no expert on the finer points of watch regulation.

Thanks!

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2015

Without specific numbers from the timing checks, it's difficult to say if what he is saying is true...if he is competent and the amplitude and beat errors are good, then it might be okay.

You can't see many jewels on a Cal. 861 just by opening the case and looking, as most are hidden by chronograph parts, and of course you can't see the dial side jewels.

Variation dial up to dial down can mean a few things, but without knowing if the balance amplitude also varied along with timing results, again difficult to draw any conclusions. It could be an issue with a dirty jewel, flatted pivot on the balance staff, or it could be that the regulating pins are not parallel....

Cheers, Al

16. boss99er May 7, 2015

Thanks Archer! Yeah, he just mentioned in passing that the movement looked clean and there was oil in the jewels. He probably just meant in the ones he could see...but again I have no idea. I also didn't see the readings from the timegrapher. According to his site, he's been a watchmaker for 25 years....but years in the business doesn't always mean competent I suppose.

Without knowing anything other than what I posted, would you recommend I have him service it? He has a 2 year warranty on a watch service, so if its not right, he'll correct it. His exact words after mentioning the change in dial up or down was "A service will take care of the variation, but you likely don't NEED a service for a year or so." Maybe whatever reading he saw indicated it just needed cleaned. This is all speculation though.....