Forums Latest Members
  1. WatchVaultNYC Nov 30, 2016

In my mind, I've always wanted to have an alarm watch. I started out with an Oris Wrist Alarm, but it was too small and too gold for me to wear. And I never did. The alarm sounded nice though. Next was a pilot-cased Omega Memomatic, but that too did not work out and was never worn as well (turns out I have yet to see a pilot case Omega that liked my wrist). Both are now on the chopping block.

The past couple of weeks, I came upon a JLC Memovox that I was able to pick up for (what I believe) was a steal. Its a combination of 2 (what I believe to be) uncommon variants - a blue panda sunburst dial, and a "speed beat" movement. The size at 37mm suits modern sensibilities. Problem is that it's not running, and the dial is a mess. So I figure as a project, I'll try to rescue this watch - if only to gain experience and figure out what's entailed.

This is what it looks like now:
    jlc.jpg

This is what I think it has the potential to be:
    [​IMG]

I have absolutely zero experience in this sort of restoration. Been asking several watchmakers for dial restoration recommendations, and they are all recommending me to a guy in Seattle. Said guy tells me he has experience with sunburst dials. So the dial goes to him (cross fingers!)

As for servicing, I am still looking for a competent watchmaker who can handle this under $500.

I'll be updating this thread with the progress I make. Suggestions are always welcome!

Lukeeesteve, Vitezi, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 30, 2016

Have you asked for a refinishing quote from JLC? Might be a good idea just to see. Under $500 for a service. Depends what it needs.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Dec 20, 2016

OK it arrived along with my IWC 521 "shark fin lugs". Some dings on the case, but it looks to be unpolished. Hands look to be relumed, but lume on the dial is intact. The watch is keeping respectable time, but the alarm is totally non-working.

It is indeed a sunburst design on the inner and outer dial. What is promising is that the silver outer dial is pretty much free of the damage on the inner dial. What I thought was corrosion creeping into the outer dial was in fact yellow lume on the hour markers. Regarding the inner dial - it does not even look like corrosion - it looks like flaking paint. Is this how these things are made? Do you think it's possible to just have the inner dial refinished, to save the logo and other text on the outer dial?

[​IMG]

As a bonus, it looks like it came with the original bracelet like the one below:
    [​IMG]

aap, Foo2rama, ahartfie and 5 others like this.
  4. marturx Dec 21, 2016

Don't touch the outer dial. It looks fine to me. Try to locate a new inner, rotating, dial. I think they could be found, aswell as outer dials, at least a while ago

Jacquot likes this.
  5. i20rider Dec 21, 2016

JLC has had mine 2weeks short of a year

6. ConElPueblo Dec 21, 2016

Great result! That bracelet is amazing - didn't you know it came with the watch?

7. Jacquot Dec 21, 2016

Very nice watch. I would definitely look for a replacement disk. If you got a good deal, do the right thing with it.

8. WatchVaultNYC Mar 16, 2017

So update: my watchmaker has sourced a mainspring for the alarm, so good. As for the dial, its grown on me so I may just stick with it.

9. No Mercy Mar 16, 2017

I can help you to restore the inner disc of this gem. PM me if you want to.

10. François Pépin Mar 16, 2017

Hi,

I am currently restoring a Memovox too - doing everything myself, as usual. I have one with a different caliber (489) but the principle is the same: hard to find parts! So I bought new parts when available and a donor when I could not find the parts or when they were too expansive - about 100 euros for a 4th wheel...

I would try to find an inner dial as said above, maybe on a donor movement if you need some other parts.

11. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Mar 16, 2017

OP if you interested in a disk I have it.

12. WatchVaultNYC Mar 16, 2017

pix?

13. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Mar 16, 2017

Do you know the diameter? I have few sizes.

14. WatchVaultNYC Mar 16, 2017

its with my watchmaker, but model I believe is E875

15. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Mar 16, 2017

Here are 2 that will match the dial.

IMG_2937.JPG

roryoc11 and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  16. WatchVaultNYC Mar 16, 2017

Let me know when you have it in blue :thumbsup:

OmegaLover likes this.
  17. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Mar 16, 2017

Got it. Fantastic watch by the way.