Forums Latest Members

Resale Value of Upcoming Snoopy Release

1. cuts33 Jun 2, 2015

Kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone who has been around awhile and really knows the market would have some thoughts on the resale of the new Snoopy LE.

The reason I ask is that I've been offered the chance to purchase it. However, there is no discount and about 10% sales tax where I am at.

My concern is not making anything on it, but whether after a few weeks if I decided against it, I could sell it and fully recover the MSRP + tax.

Typically with Omega, unless you buy at a discount, you are losing a big % as soon as you walk out the door with your piece.

I am not 100% sold on the Snoopy and not willing to take a couple grand hit to find out if I really like it or not.

2. aesguerra Jun 2, 2015

That's pretty much why I'm not buying one. If I'm not 100% on an item, it equates to a "no", and all the excess print on the dial brought it down enough of a notch. Just my 2 cents.

But who knows. Seems to me that the lower issue count plus the 50th Moon Landing Anniversary coming might keep the resale value up there. Time will tell.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 2, 2015

The snoopy certainly is popular if the anecdotal stories are true about availability.. but I don't think I'd bank on getting msrp+tax back.. if a couple 1000 in 'rental charges' is too tough to swallow, maybe wait for someone else to sell one.

$0.02 CAD

Paedipod likes this.
  4. repoman Jun 2, 2015

If you buy a Snoopy now with a pre-order, don't expect to get all your money back if you decide its just not for you. Demand is high that is true, but price is very high for stainless+strap Speedy. You may not get slammed on a resale, but I think msrp+10% tax is not realistic to recoup. If you aren't sure about this piece, I think you should hold off. In my case, I'm sure I love it, so I put in the pre-order. :D

tpatta and watchme like this.
  5. cuts33 Jun 2, 2015

Thank you all for the feedback.

Pretty much where my head was at but wanted some additional input.

Always nice to have a sounding board. ;)

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Jun 2, 2015

I would imagine resale would be slightly north of the original Snoopy: between $5K-$6K

Pros: non-black dial, real silver caseback, better looking than original Snoopy

Cons: no bracelet, busy dial

Someone offered me 5% discount + no tax, but thats still north of $7K. Even with this deal, in the short term, you'll only get your money back if you don't wear it, and wait for all the new stock to disappear.

7. yinzerniner Jun 2, 2015

Unlike some others in this thread I believe that like the Mitsukoshi this Limited Edition will retain it's MSRP value if not appreciate a bit over time, however where you could get dinged is the 10% sales tax which you'll never recover. Even then, the Mitsukoshi was only one of 300 while this I believe is one of 1970, so the rarity factor is quite lower.
    Do you have a chance to stop by a Boutique? I only ask because I tried one of these on at the one in NYC as a sample piece (ie no Serial Number and not intended for sale, but fully operational mechanically and cosmetically) so you might be able to judge for yourself whether you could make it a keeper?

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 2, 2015

I get buying a new watch, not liking it and selling it. I don't get buying a new watch thinking about reselling in a few weeks. What's the point?

Paedipod likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2015

My hunch is it will be above MSRP in 3 years but its not something I'd go putting a $7k bet on

repoman likes this.
  10. cuts33 Jun 2, 2015

Agree in general.

This is somewhat of a unique circumstance though since right now there is no opportunity to handle in person and only a limited amount of time to do so before I either need to forfeit the whole deposit, i.e, buy the watch, or pass on it.

11. yinzerniner Jun 2, 2015

Since you already stated that you're not initially sold on it then I would have to recommend passing for now. At a later date there might be an opportunity for purchasing it at or below the MSRP, and without tax, and as you've probably seen most if not all Speedy Limited Editions will never gain you back the 10% in the short term if you try it on in person, don't like it, and need to sell it immediately.

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 2, 2015

So pass on it. You will have a chance to buy it if you really want it after the fact, but don't be coerced by hype and rush into buying something you haven't even seen yet and you're not even sure you want. You're basically being manipulated by the system into purchasing beyond your comfort zone, and you're looking for a justification to do so. This is not YOU, this happens to all of us, it is why they have these pre-ordering sales and why they spend the money on marketing months before hand.

My 2 cents, just wait, nothing's going to happen to you and my bet is about 30 or 40% of those who buy it will flip it, and you can catch it on the rebound.

Edited Jun 2, 2015
    lando and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 2, 2015

You're right, and believe me I speak based on my own experience.

14. cuts33 Jun 2, 2015

100%.

I am well aware of that and can admit it too.

I think that is the first step though. ;)

However, I'm not sure there's anything "logical" to this hobby to most outsiders looking in which is why its nice to come to support groups, I mean forums, to think out loud.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  15. yinzerniner Jun 2, 2015

The marketing monsters / geniuses at Swatch group get everyone once or twice. Just remember it's not your fault....
    [​IMG]

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2015

Buy it, you'll like it :)

All the guys that have held it including guys like @Robert-Jan who threw money at them before pre-orders even opened to secure his reckon its far better in person than in pics. And the pics look good already :)

17. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2015

interesting topic...

18. cuts33 Jun 2, 2015

Decisions, Decisions....

Literally got this not even a week ago and already thinking about adding a Speedy.

I think the blue dial is screwing with my mind.

BTW, even though unrelated, never hurts to throw a pic in every now and then.

Nice day in the Chi.

AT3_2.jpg

GBTRIUMPH and Nobel Prize like this.
  19. swils8610 Jun 2, 2015

I was offered a double digit percentage discount off a Snoopy and no sales tax. Omega LE's don't typically hold value very well.

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2015

Where did you read that....

Here are just a few that are worth more now than when they were new.

Apollo 11 20th anniversary 1989
    Apollo 11 35th Anniversary 2004
    Gemini IV 2005
    Snoopy 2003
    Liquid Metal PO 1948 Pcs 2009

I won't go on.

Some of the LE's don't i agree but speedys are generally pretty good. The Apollo 45th Anniversary is holding money well and long sold out.

tpatta, fskywalker and Hijak like this.