Forums Latest Members
  1. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Aug 24, 2016

Hi all,

I posted last night but my post was deleted by accident so I'm re-posting here.
    I'm new to forums in general never mind this one in particular so please excuse me if posting here is the wrong thing. I'm looking to get some advice on where to buy from as a 70th present for my dad. Ideally I'm looking to buy something from 1964 or 1967 (his 18th and 21st years) and I'm keen on Omega really. I've looked high and low online and I'm conscious that this is a minefield - I've been trying to find a dealer where I could at least see the watch first, but ideally one that has a physical shop. One suggestion on my post last night was to look at the private sale section on here which I'm now doing every 5 minutes! Other places I've looked are chrono24 and poshtime.com. I did take a look at a place called vintage watch collection but I read some bad reviews and was put off. I've seen the below and would welcome any thoughts on whether you believe it to be genuine or a bad buy as well as any further recommendations on a good starting place (naturally, if you have an Omega from the years mentioned above, feel free to let me know too!).

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I haven't followed the right etiquette...

Omega_GoldPlate_Linen_SubSecs_2.jpg Omega_GoldPlate_Linen_SubSecs_3.jpg Omega_GoldPlate_Linen_SubSecs_5.jpg Omega_GoldPlate_Linen_SubSecs_8.jpg Omega_GoldPlate_Linen_SubSecs_10.jpg Omega_GoldPlate_Linen_SubSecs_11.jpg

Omega_GoldPlate_Linen_SubSecs_12.jpg
  2. fjf Aug 24, 2016

Gold plating in peeling off the corners of the lugs. Yuk!!.

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 26, 2016

Very nice sentiment.

Yes, there is 'brassing' on the lugs which would be a no-no for me.

To answer your question, there are quite a few options for the dates mentioned. Constellation and Seamaster are good choices, and also the early 60s Geneves. I'm assuming you dont want a tool watch, but something classic. So establishing a budget becomes important in respect to what sort of recommendations members make. I've seen a fair amount of over-priced rubbish on Chrono 24 together with some reasonable pieces, so you really need to be careful.

Regards

Desmond