Forums Latest Members
  1. JohannesFact May 30, 2012

I am a complete newbie at this ... but I'm looking to make my first vintage Omega watch purchase (something from the 40s or 50s, like the 2516; or a Constellation, which my Dad and grandfather wore).

As I live in a somewhat rural area, I'd like to find a reputable dealer online - if such a thing exists. To that end, I'd be grateful for any recommendations and/or cautions.

Thanks for your time,

Seth

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 31, 2012

I don't know if anyone here has a dealer that they use on a regular basis that could be recommended. I do know of several very reputable dealers in locations around the world. The main thing that they have in common is that their prices range from very high to ridiculous. I guess that's OK when you only plan on buying one vintage watch.

Most of the regulars in this forum prefer to buy "barn finds" on eBay or through private contacts and then have their own watchmakers do the necessary fix-ups. It's a lot more fun that way...

...and cheaper, too! :D
    gatorcpa

3. ulackfocus May 31, 2012

Hi Seth. I've bought from Andy at Old World Jewelers but not any Omegas. I do know a couple members of other forums who have bought Speedmasters from him and were very satisfied. If I'm looking for a particular watch I'd rather do my own hunting like gatorcpa said. Searching the other forums' sale sections usually is a decent way to find reasonably priced watches that are mostly (not always) original and well cared for.

4. JohannesFact May 31, 2012

Thanks ulackfocus and gatorcpa,

You're right, "barn finds" sound like a lot more fun ... as for eBay, have you encountered a lot of fakes online? No doubt new watches are routinely faked, but what about vintage models?

Thanks again for your guidance. Much appreciated.

Seth

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 31, 2012

Fakes and frankens are everywhere on the bay, but there are some pretty nice watches too and good deals. After a while it gets addicting...:D

6. ulackfocus May 31, 2012

Fakes do happen, but much more common are the frankens. These are watches that are cobbled together with Omega parts that fit but were never intended to be put together. If you see something you like you can post the link here and we'll vet it for you. Where there's money to be made, there's shenanigans to be played - and there's A LOT of money in vintage Omega.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 31, 2012

When it comes to vintage Omegas, a few fakes, but far more frankenwatches. Here are some hints to avoid them:

1. Stay away from sellers in South America, India and any country in Asia not named Japan. There are some reputable eBay sellers in those areas, but not that many. Sorry if I offended anyone, but these are just my observations from years of searching on eBay. With some additional experience, you can add Hong Kong and Taiwan to your OK list later on.

2. You're looking for an old watch, it's not supposed to look new.

3. The condition of the movement should match the condition of the dial. This means that coloration of the movement should be pink and even (for Omegas from the late 1940's to the 1970's). If there are many different shades of pink in there, then run away.

4. Look for sellers that deal in estate merchandise, not just watches. A lot of times, they buy whole estates and the watches just come along with everything else. Sometimes, the eBay consignment houses get pretty good stuff as well. You're looking for watches that have come directly from the original owner to eBay, not something that may have passed through a dozen owners before getting there.

5. Most importantly, ask questions here! :)

Good luck and happy hunting,
    gatorcpa

JohannesFact likes this.
  8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 31, 2012

A few observations:
    Mark up of the typical dealer is 100-300% of the ebay auction price for the same piece.
    The stock of lots of dealers is full of average to below average vintage omegas - pieces you can find easily on ebay. The valuable vintage pieces they sell, they ask the moon for.
    When a dealer says it has been serviced it is safer to assume it has not been serviced because even if it has it is usually a $25 quickie.
    Dealers tend to overpolish their pieces and refinish dials.
    And - heed gator's advice #5 before you buy anything (or even after as long as you have a right of return).

JohannesFact likes this.
  9. JohannesFact Jun 6, 2012

First, thanks again to all of you for your detailed feedback. I very much appreciate it ...

... unfortunately, the email notifications of your comments ended up in my spam folder. So I didn't notice the feedback until after I made my first eBay Omega buy (should have heeded Kyle L's comment about it being addicting).

So here it is, my first watch. I'd be grateful for a post-mortem, if only to learn from my mistakes. I'm prepared for the worst ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290719848668?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_761wt_758Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'll post the watch in the other forum as well.

Thanks again,

Seth

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 6, 2012

Looks like a decent watch. The movement is clean, case isn't too badly polished, dial looks original to me. Crystal has some cracks but that can be replaced, and it might look better with a gold crown. But wow, that's some crazy patina! Only thing I'm worried about is the seller's feedback and the watch's location, I hope it gets there ok! :)

JohannesFact likes this.
  11. JohannesFact Jun 6, 2012

Gotcha on the feedback and location, Kyle L ... I figured in my naivete that the patina was too wild to fake. I'll let you know if the watch shows up ...

btw, I looked at your collection and that 1950s black dial Seamaster is jaw-dropping. Also that '61 Geneve ... nice.

12. JohannesFact Jun 6, 2012

13. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2012

We have another contender for understatement of the year! I think ludicrous is a better adjective that steep in this case.