Forums Latest Members

"Repolished" What does it mean to you?

1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 6, 2019

And specifically to Omegas, and even more specifically, because I am who I am, Speedmasters?

In the last week, while selling two watches, I have been asked more than once

"Is it repolished?"

Well for me, every watch is polished, with a cloth, and maybe a product. Some have had more done to remove blemishes, usually in 1960's or 1970's in the watches I collect.

If the worry is has it been re profiled, surely that is a fact best decided with the buyers own eye?

Certainly if they can see the photos then it must be clear if the case is acceptable to them without asking the question? Or am I being naive?

In 2998's I have only ever seen one unpolished example.

So I do not know quite how to answer the question, "has the speedmaster I sell been re polished?"

Are we perhaps seeing a rise in Rolex Refugees coming over to Omega, because I know the polish word is bandied about so much that I am sure different people have different understanding of what the word means in terms of work done to the case.

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 6, 2019

To me it means that the case has been polished/brushed/altered(even in the way the RR are now used to)/worked-on in anyway explicitly after the day it was assembled with all parts to make a watch and left the birthing factory to be sold to its first owner. I purposefully omit 'sleeve polish'. Even if the people who manufactured the watch got it in X years down the line for a service, and did anything to the case, its been re polished.

But thats just me (edit : and what I have gathered various people imply when using the word, even though it’s technically not correct)

Edited Jul 6, 2019
    blubarb, murph, M'Bob and 1 other person like this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 6, 2019

All Speedmasters, every single one, have been polished - at the manufacture. Very few have not been repolished. Same for other references & brands. Except Rolex - those are all unpolished, with fat lugs and punched papers.
    1ACDBC04-B0C7-4CCB-82CF-192C0E7374D0.jpeg

Edited Jul 6, 2019
    WatchCor, henrikaa, wkimmd and 5 others like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 6, 2019

The newer to Speedmasters are all after the elusive unpolished unicorns like the ones @MSNWatch keeps on he’s unicorn ranch

But seriously if they have to ask after seeing the pictures and are silly enough to ask the seller ;)

blubarb, JwRosenthal, OWa and 4 others like this.
  5. CJpickup57 Jul 6, 2019

“First known use of repolish 1577” prove it Merriam!

I think of “repolished” as “reprofiled” when reading a sales listing. That’s my personal interpretation at this point in my horological career. However, I also look to see if I can tell how big the difference is in relation to perfect-near perfect untouched examples I have saved in folders on my PC. I am currently a wearer of watches and not yet a connoisseur or collector by any means. I have not learned enough yet to jump into that pond. I look at threads here, WUS and google images and then consult my MWO and flightmaster Only books to compare and learn thus far.

6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 6, 2019

I believe it.

MWO talks about it...

C040EA23-ED63-4B77-B75D-7264888C4172.jpeg

Larry S, Uniqez, Traveler and 3 others like this.
  7. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jul 6, 2019

"Polished" is such a loaded term. What's acceptable at a given price point is on the buyer and how they perceive the watch. I laugh when I see a for sale post for a 50 yr old watch that declares "never been polished". I think it's a rare case that it can be said with absolute certainty for a watch that age. A single very, very light polish 40 yrs ago could remove so little material that it would be nearly imperceptible to the eye with the developed patina over the intervening years.

blubarb, Dgercp, JwRosenthal and 2 others like this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 6, 2019

I bought my CK2998 new, it's three years old now. I will never allow it to be polished by a watchmaker. I will gladly post in 27 years from now a 30 year old watch that has never been repolished.

With high res pics I think you can easily conclude a level of repolish that is acceptable to a collector. So I'm not sure why one would ask this question. I guess what is obvious to most of us here is not obvious to all here. But in cases were opinions on the level of repolish are needed, this is the place to come for feedback.

Since I have no vintage Speedmasters that have not been repolished I will share this one.

I bought this used. I think it has never been repolished, but how can I know for sure? I have looked at other pics online to compare. I think my example is the best I have seen. (FYI, This is a military version of the X-33 and Omega services it free of charge for life of watch).

IMG_20190704_101347.jpg

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 6, 2019

If its been worked on by Omega, then I think you can be sure it has been polished/refinished, though in this case that is no bad thing since it has been done well. A cosmetic refinish is included in the service cost.

10. MRC Jul 6, 2019

This is 50 years old, minus a few months. Never been polished, but not for sale either so perhaps it doesn't count.

Those beaten-up lugs? That was me during 50 years minus a few months of ownership . Mainly damaged while trying to stop that bracelet from rattling.

P6110200m.jpg

Ooops, bracelet not shown here -- it was in Hong Kong to get the horrid Rolex "W" springs replaced.

11. BatDad Jul 6, 2019

I will confess - this is a question I asked sellers when I first started lurking on the forum. I recall distinctly my ineptitude in fathoming our what unpolished meant. Despite reading many threads describing how folks felt unpolished watches were undesirable I just couldnt distinguish the difference.

It was only when I started actually buying watches that it became clear what the differences were. Step dial is another example

My point - is this a right of passage in vintage watch collecting that one can only truly appreciate when you have the watch in hand and something to compare against.

Edit - to answer the question I agree with the earlier posts. It’s when there is noticeable lack of definition where it should be clear

amiriqbal and airansun like this.
  12. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jul 6, 2019

I guess that was the point I was trying to make with regards to for sale posts. I didn't say it was impossible to say unpolished with certainty on a 40-50 yr old watch, just rare. For the very reason your example illustrates - rock solid provenance from day one that it hasn't been polished. You're rarely going to see a 50 yr old watch, for sale by owner, pop up for sale. Even ones that are purported to be bought from the original owner - look how many times the original owners memory was apparently fuzzy because a part was replaced at some point but was supposedly never touched according to the owner.

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 6, 2019

@padders There is a change in policy, at least this is what the OB conveyed to me. Staff that assisted me is a former watchmaker that worked at the service center, and now works at the OB. He states that they no longer polish titanium watches. In addition, I wrote in several places "DO NOT POLISH" on the paper work and the protective sticky tape I place on my bracelet clasp was still intact and the small case back scratches were still there as well.

Darlinboy likes this.
  14. Taybharr Jul 6, 2019

To fess up, I was one of the two people to ask @Spacefruit about if a case had been repolished. Perhaps I was a bit too hasty in my wording as what I was truly wanting to see was a face-on shot to gauge the symmetry of the lugs (it appeared there was some sort of upload glitch the prevented his face-on shot from appearing on the 145.022-69 listing originally which was later corrected by William). My hastiness was mostly due to the fact that I suspected, rightfully so, that the watch would sell quickly.

Speaking of Speedmasters, as others have noted, if it was serviced (especially prior to about 10-15 years ago), the factory finish was reapplied with a polishing wheel and the sides were rebrushed. If this was done by someone who knew what they were doing, this should not be a major issue. I have seen and held Speedmasters that have had case lines altered by a ham-fisted repolish. So when I asked, “has it been repolished?” what I should have said was “have the case lines been altered by someone with meat hooks for hands and eyes that were painted on?” Of course, I should have just stuck with one of my two questions from my original DM, which was “can you send a face-on picture of the watch?”

inchpincher, kkt, murph and 3 others like this.
  15. bloomy Jul 6, 2019

When I sell I disclose any work that has been done under my care and also any work that I perceive has been done given my knowledge. For instance, if I check a watch under UV and the hands stand out as a relume I will disclose that I believe that the hands have been relumed but can't confirm.

As to the specific question of polishing, assuming it has not been done under my care...I generally won't comment on it in a listing unless it is immediately obvious to me that it has been polished and to what degree. If a buyer asks the specific question I will give my opinion with photos to back it up but will reiterate that it is conjecture unless I am the original owner of the watch.

Spacefruit likes this.
  16. jimmyd13 Jul 6, 2019

To the specific question ...

... "repolished" makes me twitch. It feels like a portmanteau word. Something of a cross between polished and refinished.

If a watch has been polished it may well be forgivable, even acceptable. For example, I'm wearing an 18ct dress watch from 1953. It has two noticable scratches. They're not deep but they are noticable. I will polish this case and remove those scratches as the watch will be more acceptable with a few hundreths of a mm less material on the bezel than a noticable mark.

That said, the question is about Speedmasters and not a dress watch. Speedmasters are tool watches. To my mind, they almost benefit from wearing scars. Of course, there is wear and there is damage. If we called wear "patination of the case", would we be more accepting of it? Is a "heavily patinated case" more acceptable than a case that has been polished? To my mind, the answer is whether or not the case still retains its facets; its symmetry. Has the polisher taken it too far?

More interesting, to my mind, are the "mark" cases. I could show you two Mark IIs. One original and one refinshed. The original has lost most of its sunburst and there are marks on the facets but it is still, unmistakeably, all original. The refinished one is ... beautiful. Which is worth more? Which is more desirable?
    jbrUfmu.jpg IMAG1766.jpg But if we're thinking of these marks as "case patination", at what point do they become "damage". If a case is marked up to the point that we think it's damaged rather than just honest, does a repair become acceptable? If the case is intact and wearable, would anyone consider, for example, refilling deep scratches and polishing back? On the other hand, if a lug was damaged, do you repair and refinish?

We're now in the realm of the miracle relumers. We've all seen dials that have been relumed incredibly well. It's possible to have cases laser welded, filled and polished to the point where it can look "as new". There are certainly watches whose value would increase by having that work done. And really, that's the question now.

We are all aware of the prices that early Speedmasters command. Is an original 2998-x in fair condition worth more or less than the same reference in perfectly restored condition? What if you can't tell it was restored? What if ... and here's the hellish question ... a previously unseen 2915 comes to market in near perfect condition and, years later, it is discovered that the case has been totally restored and the dial relumed? It doesn't take much to imagine the clamour that a truly excellent, fresh to market, 2915 would cause. Nor would it take much to realise the disappointment of the buyer to find it was not everything he first thought.

It would be interesting to see what sort of value the market would put on restored, rather than simply polished or refinished, early Speedmasters. I think that we're at the point such work could be carried out and be undetectable. We would have to rely on disclosure to know for sure. Then again, I'm just sleep deprived and typing to myself ... what do I know?

djmusicman and wsfarrell like this.
  17. henrikaa Jul 7, 2019

What sets your military version apart from the civilian version? Asking as I am unknowing.

18. alam Jul 7, 2019

:( I don't think I'll be around to witness this ... :)

Mad Dog, Taddyangle and astrand like this.
  19. alam Jul 7, 2019

In my own simplistic view of the world, to me this means anything beyond that "gentle" polishing action as you described: "with a cloth or maybe a product..."

I would be asking the question (with the same simplistic view of the world) with your previous statement in my mind: "...the worry is has it been re profiled....."

20. Davidt Jul 7, 2019

An original, unpolished case is a massive thing for me. More important than the bezel an s equal to or even slightly more important than the dial.

I can't stand rounded edges and anything that looks like it's been re-cut/polished/finished etc and I like to think I've got a decent eye for it now. If the repolish/refinish job is so good I can't tell then I guess I must be ok with it. However, even when I've seen cases that have supposedly been refinished by Omega or other highly recommended people I still think you can tell 99% of the time. The junction between various edges just never seems as crisp on many I've seen or it just looks off. The polished top section of Speedmaster lugs also looks slightly different once refinished imo.

The is why I like to buy direct from original owners/families or fellow collectors rather than dealers as the likelihood of a high quality, undetectable refinish is reduced.

Of course there is a difference between a case that's had a rubbing with a cape cod cloth and One that's been under the polishing wheel. Even decades of wear under a cuff than dull sharp edges etc and this distinction is important.

I realise I'm babbling hopelessly here now, but hopefully this makes a ounce of sense?!

blubarb, gemini4, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.