Forums Latest Members

Replacement Sapphire for a 311.30.44.50.01.002

1. fdecarvalho Nov 2, 2020

Hey guys/gals,

Sorry to crash the forum here but I've been struggling with finding a replacement sapphire for my sister's

She tripped on a flight of stairs and went down watch first... Didn't get hurt which is the most important part but it's a heirloom and she misses wearing it.

Does anyone know of someone stocking this? I have a watchmaker who can install it but haven't the slightest clue where to start or even what the part number is.

Hoping the brain trust here can come to the rescue.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Fernando

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 2, 2020

Any watchmaker with an omega parts account can get it.

3. dstfno Nov 2, 2020

After not always having had optimal experiences with watchmakers, I would suggest:
    Take it to an official Omega AD/boutique or an Omega certified watchmaker. It will probably take a little longer before you have the watch back and cost a bit more, but you will have the certainty that the job is done properly and the repair will be covered by Omega warranty. (And you don't have to worry about sourcing the correct part)

4. Donn Chambers Nov 2, 2020

I would not trust a watchmaker that agrees to replace a broken sapphire crystal with a part given to them without also requiring a full service of the movement. Even though you might think no shards got into the movement, you can't be sure. Note can you be sure there hasn't been moisture intrusion.

Moreover, I wouldn't trust buying a sapphire crystal from anyplace other than Omega directly, and for that you need an Omega parts account. I don't know of any watchmaker with a parts account who will order a part and then sell to a customer.

Your best bet is to send it to Omega and understand you will have to pay for a full service AND a new crystal. There really isn't a cheap way to do this correctly.